Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gertrudecloset @suzyQ3 

My remark was said tongue in cheek to Amazon Prime members on this Forum. Sorry for the confusion

Snowpuppy understood what I meant 

Ah, okay. @Spurt 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gertrudecloset @suzyQ3 

My remark was said tongue in cheek to Amazon Prime members on this Forum. Sorry for the confusion

Snowpuppy understood what I meant 

Thanks for clarifying, as I had no way of knowing this @Spurt 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Amazon employees are not indentured, they can leave Amazon and go where their value will be recognized and generously rewarded. 

Publicly complaining about one's employer is unlikely to be rewarded with a bonus, nor should it.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Amazon employees are not indentured, they can leave Amazon and go where their value will be recognized and generously rewarded. 

Publicly complaining about one's employer is unlikely to be rewarded with a bonus, nor should it.

@occasionalrain   They may not be indentured to Amazon but they are indentured by the fact that they need an income.

It is always so easy to say one can find a job where value is recognzied and generously rewarded; in real life not every person can find such a job.

If employees do not speak up about working conditions, and I'm not talking about unionizing (a different topic) then nothing will change.

It isn't about a bonus in the beginning; it is about better working conditions.  The bonus is not the issue but can be a definite "perk" down the road if some employers would recognize that their employees could use some recogniztion, even if something at a holiday, e.g.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Everywhere firms are hiring, some like those that employ welders, truck drivers, electricians, plumbers...offer paid training that will result in being licensed and membership in their unions. These occupations provide six figure incomes.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Everywhere firms are hiring, some like those that employ welders, truck drivers, electricians, plumbers...offer paid training that will result in being licensed and membership in their unions. These occupations provide six figure incomes.

@occasionalrainI'm going to go out on a limb here and say the worker sealing up packages at Amazon is not a plumber or qualified to earn six figures.

Training to be an electrician/plumber/welders-takes time and certifications.  I would never hire such a person who didn't have state certification to work on wiring in my home, e.g.

Not everyone is suitable for those jobs. 

I know you believe everyone is just looking to whine about his/her job instead of getting off his/her duff and doing something about it-but reality doesn't match your belief system.

Electrical outlet safety fail. [Full video] | Safety fail, Diy fails,  Electricity

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

@occasionalrainI'm going to go out on a limb here and say the worker sealing up packages at Amazon is not a plumber or qualified to earn six figures.

Training to be an electrician/plumber/welders-takes time and certifications.  I would never hire such a person who didn't have state certification to work on wiring in my home, e.g.

I know you believe everyone is just looking to whine about his/her job instead of getting off his/her duff and doing something about it-but reality doesn't match your belief system.

There are so many programs out there that will pay for training or help!  There is no reason for someone to stay in a job they aren't happy with or don't feel they are making enough. But many of us started at low paying jobs and worked our way up, we didn't just make big bucks from the first day on the job and no one should expect that.  They are not entitled. And there also is no reason for anyone not to have a job. Period.  There are numerous jobs available in all fields out there and help wanted signs posted in all windows.  People can literally walk into a business and get hired on the spot in the right jobs.

Honored Contributor

I'm confused. Some of you want all the people who work at Amazon to get better jobs? Then who is going to work at Amazon?

Why not just make the Amazon jobs more humane so that all sorts of people would want to work there? I don't see why some of you are so married to the idea of creating a lower-class caste system of poorly paid, horrible, dangerous jobs and forcing your fellow Americans to work them without complaint. It makes no sense to me and goes completely against human nature. That wish seems kind of strangely sadistic to me, actually.

Businesses have always had to compete for the best labor, from the CEO to the floor manager. That's capitalism.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Businesses are challenged to find workers....

Employers are hiring aggressively but still can't find enough cooks, drivers or waiters at a time when millions of Americans remained unemployed. This tension is especially felt by small businesses.  NPR July 1, 2021

Enhanced unemployment checks do not spur unemployed to go back to work

Honored Contributor

@RainyDayGal wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

There are so many programs out there that will pay for training or help!  There is no reason for someone to stay in a job they aren't happy with or don't feel they are making enough. But many of us started at low paying jobs and worked our way up, we didn't just make big bucks from the first day on the job and no one should expect that.  They are not entitled. And there also is no reason for anyone not to have a job. Period.  There are numerous jobs available in all fields out there and help wanted signs posted in all windows.  People can literally walk into a business and get hired on the spot in the right jobs.

@RainyDayGal   I am responding to her post indicating that people can just leave their jobs and be trained in 6-figure professions.  It doesn't work that way; and again, not everyone can be a plumber, electrician, etc.

As far as people getting a job if they want to-we are back to the same argument that everyone can have a job if they just look for one.

Granted if one is not happy where one works-he/she MAY find something more to his/her liking and then again he/she may not.

The issue is the employers need to establish better working conditions in some companies.

Whether one starts low and works one's way up is also not a valid counterpoint-because not everyone can work his/her way up.  Somebody still has to ship out those Amazon packages.