Honored Contributor

Re: It's Christmas in July-is anyone else afraid Christmas will be tight due to less pay?

@haddon9 wrote:

I feel bad for those who have a reduced or no income due to Covid.  I'm retired and my fear is that we won't be able to get together with family & friends this holiday season.

Long-term sickness/disability can rob a person of gainful employment in short order.

Honored Contributor

R e: It's Christmas in July-is anyone else afraid Christmas will be tight due to less pay?

I enjoy watching the Christmas shows but do not buy because i am overwhelmed with Christmas decor.  However, just watching the shows relaxes me and always brings me to my favorite time of year.

I have a very loving family and wonderful close friends who would never be upset or annoyed if I didn't give them gifts.  I don't worry about that at all as they will be there for me no matter what and I speak from experience.

My Christmas gifts are all the people who surround me with love and joy and I hope I give  them the same.

Regular Contributor

Re: It's Christmas in July-is anyone else afraid Christmas will be tight due to less pay?

@LisaMofSLC wrote:

I am still working, but have lost $200-300 a month recently due to cuts. I live in one state while my family lives in another. I generally order their gifts and mail them. But this year, what with less pay, no raise, and who knows how long this thing will be going on, I'm afraid this Christmas will be lacking. Anyone else feel the same?

People need to remember Christmas isn't about a dollar amount or the quantity of gifts. Unfortunately things happen. Hopefully it all works out for you and anyone else concerned with uncertainty.

Honored Contributor

No - we haven't exchanged gifts for years.  If we visit, we bring "a bottle" or some dessert.

Honored Contributor

My only concern with Christmas is that all my family be healthy enough to gather safely.   There are only 9 of us; we are all close by, and have seen each other regularly during the last few months.  

We stopped gifting years ago, but I still buy for my adult nephew.   I enjoy watching the Christmas in July shows, but have no need for, nor am I tempted to buy anything.   

Honored Contributor

I will save money by not having to:

• Buy a plane ticket
  • Entertain
  • Make a lot of treats
  • Buy presents in person and then wrap them and then pay for shipping (just have them sent direct from Amazon to their house)
  • Go to holiday events
  • Get outfits for events
  • Get mini presents for acquaintences

I will really miss our tradition of going to see It's a Wonderful Life in Nashville right before Christmas. I hope we can go next year.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't understand Christmas in July but wait a minute it is still June.   Why is QVC pushing Christmas?  My birthday was this past Friday June 26.   Christmas is not until December.   I don;t understand why we can't let the holidays progress in there order Christmas is in December.   Also, people have alot on their minds now and I have a feeling Christmas is not one of their priorities.   Christmas in June or July does not make any sense to me.

Valued Contributor

I think finally Christmas will be scaled back in our country this year. Many people will either still be unemployed or trying to catch up/recover from this year. Maybe normal will be no gifts or very simple gift giving, and only to family or very dear friends. No more gifts for the mailman, the nail girl or anyone you’ve ever crossed paths with as Q wants us to shop for. I think it could be a good thing, gift giving had gotten out of hand. I’m finding this CIJ in poor taste right now. We’re in a pandemic & economic crisis.
Esteemed Contributor

@Leggett28 wrote:

I just turned the tv on. I don’t do Christmas in July. And I I’m not even sure I’m going to do too much Christmas this year anyway. I’m watching Rick and he’s all dressed up and it all just seems pretty ridiculous. JMO

QVC is getting funnier and funnier.

Respected Contributor

I love Christmas,  but not Christmas in July and certainly not Christmas in June!  Christmas will be the same for me this year, just like years before.  I only have my mother to buy for and two very dear friends.  I have family in another country and I just send some of them some money, as it's too expensive to send any kind of gifts.  I don't do gifts for the mailman, garbage man, UPS man, etc.