Esteemed Contributor

The high in Phoenix, AZ was 117 today. Previous high was 112. And QVC is pushing Christmas. Can't wait to get out the sweaters, boots and Santas.

Valued Contributor

Aren't you amazed at how many tourists come here to hike the mountains - in this heat?

Respected Contributor

We got more rain and very loud thunder today but it seems to have subsided.  Also, just received a very strange emergency alert complete with high pitch noise - to my cell phone for a dust storm alert until 8PM.  That doesn't sound right to me.  It is not windy so don't know what they're talking about.  

Esteemed Contributor

There was a 60 year old woman who died the other day because she had been hiking for 10 hours on the Superstition Mountains. 

Valued Contributor

I'm in Phoenix, and my husband says something is headed our way.

Weather channel said 20% chance.

Hottest day in 2 years.

Valued Contributor

We're in Ahwatukee, and now getting some wind.

I heard about that woman.  Hiking for 10 hours in this heat.  jeez

Respected Contributor

Re: It's 117 degrees

[ Edited ]

I just googled this:

http://www.google.org/publicalerts/alert?aid=3bec85cd54a947d1&hl=en&gl=US&source=web

This is the dust storm alert that came to my cell phone.  

Excessive Heat Warning in Nevada
Active for next 3 days ·
This alert has been updated.

Posted 26 minutes ago

Dust Storm Warning for blowing ash and soot from the Willow fire in effect until 8 PM PDT /8 PM mst/ this evening.

Excessive Heat Warning remains in effect from noon PDT /noon mst/ Sunday to 8 PM PDT /8 PM mst/ Monday below 4000 feet. An Excessive Heat Warning below 4000 feet remains in effect from noon PDT /noon mst/ Sunday to 8 PM PDT /8 PM mst/ Monday.

• Expected temperatures: highs 110 to 112 degrees for Las Vegas and much of the Mojave Desert region, 112 to 117 degrees along the Colorado River valley and around 122 in Death Valley.
  • Greatest impacts: excessively high temperatures can cause heat related illness if precautions are not taken. Since temperatures were below normal in July, people may be less acclimated to the heat and more susceptible to heat exhaustion or heat stroke. Those working or recreating outdoors and those without air conditioning are most vulnerable.

Recommended actions

An Excessive Heat Warning is issued when temperatures are forecast to reach dangerous levels that will stress the body if precautions are not taken.

Take extra precautions if you work or spend time outside. When possible, reschedule Strenuous activities to early morning or evening. Know the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Wear light weight and loose fitting clothing when possible and drink plenty of water.

Respected Contributor

Lone donkey gets refuge from fire

Little burro stands behind firefighters in AZ scared out of his wits.  Thankfully he was returned unharmed to his owner.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona/breaking/2015/08/12/burro-burrows-behind-big-blaze...

Valued Contributor

Hi neighbors!  I'm over here in Palm Springs area; only 114 here!

stay indoors!

Respected Contributor

@HB glamma wrote:

Hi neighbors!  I'm over here in Palm Springs area; only 114 here!

stay indoors!

Hi!!!! Stay hydrated!!!!  Smiley Wink