Esteemed Contributor

It is that time of the year for Rainier Cherries

Got some from my CSA yesterday. Got about 8 lbs of them and half are gone already with just my husband, grandson and myself eating them. They were the plumpest, most delicious I have had so far but I think I say that every year! I got a lot because we are spending the holiday down at the beach and have some friends and family coming. I should have doubled it!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Re: It is that time of the year for Rainier Cherries

[ Edited ]

I look forward to these cherries every year.  The season is short, and they are on the pricey side, but such a tasty treat.  About $3/lb in Wisconsin.

Respected Contributor

I love them too and have been eating them like crazy.  They won't be in season for very long.    Smiley Sad

Super Contributor

I've never tried this type of cherry. Do they taste different than the dark red ones most grocery stores carry? 

Honored Contributor

I noticed the stands beside the road selling them yesterday.  I need to get some.

My Favorite Breed is Adopted

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, they are pricey. This year I got them for $4.99 a lb from our CSA which is pretty good especially considering they are organic. I saw a supermarket here had them for $1.99 lb which is the cheapest I have ever seen so I stopped by to check them out. They were so tiny, bruised with cuts all over them. I would rather pay what I paid. These were seriously the biggest I have gotten I think. They are the size of large cherry tomatoes. 

Enjoy your cherries ladies!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I've been freezing some cherries (bing) ...pit them first of course. Later, when they are out of season, I can still enjoy them in my yogurt and oatmeal. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I love Rainier cherries and will happily pay the price for a munch or two before the season is over. But I have to restrict myself to a handful at a time or I have serious issues. Anyone else?

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I love Rainier cherries and will happily pay the price for a munch or two before the season is over. But I have to restrict myself to a handful at a time or I have serious issues. Anyone else?

@Moonchilde,

Yes, I get to feelin' like a zephyr if I eat too many,Smiley Embarassed

Respected Contributor

I am a huge addict of cherries!  I just got these today for 1.99 a lb.  I always say I want to take the time to pit and freeze them, but I eat them up too fast for that.  Not sure how many lbs I need to buy to prevent that.  LOL