Honored Contributor

Seniority of living there...that made me laugh.  But I think that is the real problem.  You just can't adjust to those people because they don't behave the way you want them to behave.  Most of your issues should be of no concern to you.  Why do you care if greenery is blocking one of their windows or if they don't walk their dogs???  Their dogs get their exersize and poop in their yard and they clean it up.  Yes. Some people do that.  Check with your town hall but I believe it's legal to trim the branches of a tree that hang over into your property.  You neighbor seems to know the barking is an aggravation since he does take them in when it's too much.  Why should he apologize?  It should be enough that he takes the dogs in.  I understand that the barking is aggravating but dogs bark.  The dogs are on private property.  Perhaps you should speak dog's owner about the barking.  Perhaps you can agree to certain hours of the day when he can keep the dogs inside to cut down on the barking and maybe address the tree limb but all the other stuff is none of your business.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Ladygray 

I totally understand what you're going through and do not think you're a busy body for wondering about your new neighbors. You have my sympathies for having to put up w/ a dog that has not been trained by the owner and for people who let their yards go. And yes, dogs poop in the yard ... but it should be picked up so the neighbors don't have to smell it. I mean, c'mon.

I have lived in the same house for years and we have only had a few ownership changes. We did have one neighbor who left their dog outside (fenced yard) during the week while they were at work. The dog was older and he would charge the fence every dang day we were outside, multiple times a day. It was scary to me and it made our own dogs so crazy we had to keep our dogs away from that side of the yard. Let me just say I was glad when those people moved.

What I go through now is selfish dog owners who do not think rules apply to them. I run in a park that say Dogs must be on leash and controlled at all times. More than half the people do not believe that rule applies to them. I have been charged by countless dogs, so I carry a small horn and pepper spray. Never once has an owner said they were sorry their dog charged me ... they say, oh he/she is just so friendly. When I ask why the dog is not on a leash they get snotty w/ me and tell me no one else minds. I've never used the pepper spray, but I have used the horn many times.

My only advice is to contact your landlord. Since you have been such a good renter, you might just reach out and let them know there are issues and you would like their help or advice. If it's a HOA issue, they would be the ones to contact the Association. Also let landlord know about the overhanging branches, etc.

Good luck and I'm so sorry you can't go outside w/o dogs barking and being a pest. IMO it's the dog owner who is to blame, not the poor dog.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor
@Glitter51  you said:

What people do in their own yard is none of your business. 

No. People with THAT attitude should not live in a NEIGHBORHOOD period.  Live in the woods....away from others. Do us all a favor. When you live close to people....you need to get along and keep up the yard etc....you want peace.... you want friendly behavior 

Honored Contributor

Re: Issues with Neighbors

[ Edited ]

Yes, dogs do bark but it's up to the dog owner to limit how much they bark.  I love dogs but an untrained dog showing his teeth and growling would be something I would correct in my dog.  If you are not willing to put time into a dog, imo, you should'nt  have one. I'm not sure about the other issues here but, for me, the dog issue is one that needs addressed if it keeps up for sure. 

Honored Contributor

My initial thought is that your landlord should deal with any tree issues since you don't own the property. As far as the dog issue, it is their yard so I don't see any good outcome if you complain about the growling dog and their poopy yard. Now, if the dog posed a threat by roaming, or there was a health issue associated with their smelly yard, then you might have a leg to stand on. I feel bad for you but I think you have to accept that you have annoying neighbors.

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden - some people are ok with just being neighbors and not friends. Not everyone wants to be friends with their neighbors.  And, my opinion, the poster is upset that the new neighbors aren't as friendly as the previous neighbors. While I agree that people should keep up their yard, it's still no one's business if the owners dogs poop in their own yard.  

Trusted Contributor

What puzzles me is that why is the neighbor not annoyed by the barking and poop smell?  I live close next door to a severly autistic adult and the dad built him a giant swing to keep him calm.  It is a good thing for the son, but the swing has a loud squeak, squeel and he swings for hours.  I cannot sit outside and enjoy as it is like nails on a chalkboard.  I do not say a thing because of the son.  But I just do not get why this loud squeeking does not bother others in their house.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ladygray 

I can sympathize with you.....we had a neighbor in our Condo Community, a nice lady she had mobility issues and used a mobile cart or cane. We are all pretty friendly with each other and got along.  This neighbor always had dogs, a Papillon, a miniature Doberman, and assorted mutts which she adopted from a shelter...the dogs were trained and well behaved and friendly....I would even put a gift bag with dog treats and a small gift card to coffee shop for her at Christmas...

THEN came the 3 Chihuahuas FROM HELL..they were not trained nor did the neighbor even try to train them... They snapped at people, snarled, growled, and barred their teeth and almost attacked people that had to run for their lives--The neighbor put their leashes on, and allowed them to run around dragging their leashes behind them....she couldnt control them and even thought it was funny how the neighbors were scared of her small dogs..all the neighbors and even their dogs had issues with these Chihuahuas.....And even worse they pooped in my yard, peed on my sidewalk.....I finally complained to our COA.....The neighbor hired someone to walk her dogs and she was rudest woman, I asked her politely and very calmly to please pick up after the dogs and she said she was going to sue ME for harrassment, I told her its a City Ordinance and an Ordinance in our COA as well, and told her I wont bother her any more I'll just call Animal Control and its a $200 to $2000 fine....and added have a nice day.....Thankfully the neighbor and her Chihuahuas from HELL moved---I think our whole community celebrated...Now everyone gets along, all the dog owners take their dogs to our dog park and pick up after their dogs---OH SWEET HARMONY!

If your neighbors allow their dogs to poop in their yard BUT dont pick up the poop and you can smell it from where you live then it can become a health hazard....You can contact your City Code And Compliance Department to see if their is an Ordinance requiring people to pick up dog poop in their own yard, most cities have such an ordinance...

A: The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that a single gram of dog waste contains as much as 23 million fecal coliform bacteria, including Escherichia coli (E. coli) which can cause a range of illnesses in people including stomach cramps, diarrhea, intestinal problems and kidney disorders. Other harmful things that pet waste contains include parasites such as hookworms, ringworms, tapeworms and Salmonella. Roundworm larvae in pet waste can trigger disease in the brain, lungs kidneys, liver, heart or eyes if it comes in contact with people. Pet feces also carries Campylobacter bacteria and attracts flies! And this is why some cities have ordinances requiring dog owners to pick up their dog's poop even in their owner's own yard.

GOOD LUCK!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pook wrote:

@Ladygray  @ Kachina624 has the solution with the best possible outcome.  Asking the neighbor for help getting the dog familiar with you is way better than building up animosity.    Also, it is legal probably everywhere to trim trees and shrubbery that hangs over your yard or present the landlord with the issue.  

@Pook @Kachina624 

This sounds good, but I would only try that method if the dogs were merely barking, but if they are growling and snarling and showing their teeth, it might be dangerous and ineffective. The OP doesnt know the dog's history and background, maybe they were abused and dont trust strangers....and in an effort to be friendly the OP could end up with an even worse situation if the dogs view her as a threat.....  Just like with my neighbors vicious dogs i tried what you said....it didnt work....tried to totally ignore them and they attacked me while walking to my car that was parked in the driveway....because of their background some dogs go into defend and attack mode and defend their territory....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt   She would not know if it will work or not if she has not given it a try.  If it does not work then nothing lost!  If she speaks with the neighbor and he introduces her to the dog and is ok with her giving treats to the dog. then there is a good chance it would work.  Dogs growl and show their teeth more because they are afraid and not because they are ready to attack!!  A silent dog is more likely to attack without warning!  Nothing says she will have to hug or pet the dog without the barrier in between that there is now.  It has worked for me man times.  It's worth trying anything as it is appears to be affecting OP so negatively!