Esteemed Contributor

@Ladygray wrote:

@scatcat wrote:

IMO you should accept the fact that you are not going to be friends with your neighbors. I'm not sure why it bugs you that their rose bush grows over their window or their dogs poop in their yard. Where are they supposed to poop? 

You did say the owner rushes the dog inside when it barks at you. Sounds accommodating.  You didn't say whether there is a fence separating your homes. 

Like the other poster said, maybe it's time to move 

Can't afford to move.  Have you seen the price of rents lately?

And... they poop in the yard and I smell it.   I didn't say their rose bush "Bugs" me but it shows the unkept nature of their yard.   I'm sure you wouldn't like to smell dog poop all day.    They are supposed to poop on their walks like other dogs with normal owners

If they won't clean up poop in their yard, they're certainly not going to pick it up while on a walk. 

If you're bothered by the odor and the barking, speak to your landlord and they can address it with the neighbors or you can do it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Issues with Neighbors

[ Edited ]

Does this dog bark incessantly for long periods of time or just at you when you're outside?  Incessant barking may be a reason for you to report it to your local animal control agency as a violation of local regulations.  If it just barks at a stimulus like you or the garbage man, you're probably just going to have to live with it.

The easiest solution might be to make friends with the dog with the help of its owner and a bag of dog treats.  I suspect the neighbor feels some hostility from you.  I'd try to improve communication with these people.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

“Good fences make good neighbors.”

― Robert Frost

Super Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
I trim the neighbor’s tree when it hangs over my yard too much.

Around here, it’s normal for dogs to poop in the backyard. Most don’t take their dogs for walks. The yards are generally fairly large. I prefer it that way, otherwise I’d have dogs going on my front lawn.

I live in a townhouse where yards buttress up against each other and we are in close proximity.

Super Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Does this dog bark incessantly for long periods of time or just at you when you're outside?  Incessant barking may be a reason for you to report it to your local animal control agency as a violation of local regulations.  If it just barks at a stimulus like you or the garbage man, you're probably just going to have to live with it.

The easiest solution might be to make friends with the dog with the help of its owner and a bag of dog treats.  I suspect the neighbor feels some hosti!Its from you.  I'd try to improve communication with these people.

You shared some good ideas.  But, I have no hostility... I'm the one who welcomed them into the neighborhood, gave them a holiday card and they don't respond in any way.   No more I can do to be friendly.  

Also we live on a wash and yesterday on my walk I saw a coyote carrying a cat.  They come from the north and are hungry and look for food.   I've seen coyotes on my streete and one actually jumped on their wall (years ago) and into their yard.  Hopefully, their dogs can fight off the coyotes.   My former neighbor never let her little poodle out alone for that reason.

Esteemed Contributor

I have no expertise about dog whistles except the one that calls a dog that humans can't hear but................is there one that's LOUD that would hurt the dogs hearing and used when the pup starts his racket.  (hurt as in Ouch)

It would also get the dog owner's attention.  Lots of dog owners on here so thought perhaps........oh, I bought one (somewhere) when neighbor was having same problem with his neighbor on other side.  He wouldn't use it....I must have thrown it away.  Had forgotten about that............

Worth doing a Google.............that's how I found one.

Honored Contributor

@Ladygray    I'd explain to the owner that the dog barking furiously is very upsetting to you because he's a beautiful animal and you like dogs (lie if necessary).  Ask if he'd help you make friends with ___________dog's name, by bringing him to the fence for a treat or stopping to greet you on a walk, when you're loaded with treats.  If the owner is friendly toward you, the dog is more likely to be. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Sorry you’re having these problems but sounds like these are you problems.  Your homeowner, HOA or municipality are your remedy.  Sounds like you might be comparing them to the previous occupants that were so wonderful and sadly those days are gone. There should be a noise ordinance but you just need to lean on the responsible agency to handle your needs - it will probably take time. As SilleeMe posted you might look into animal abuse issues. If the German Shepherd shows aggression towards you that can also be reported. You might want to pick up an air horn  and spray bottle of water. You cannot force them to walk their dogs. Maybe they drive them to a dog park. Lastly, it’s also clear they do not desire your friendship and I’m sure it’s their loss. These are such uncertain times and you just never know what kind of life they might be leading. Who knows, maybe they’re in Witness Protection.

Good luck and I sincerely hope you can find peace.

Respected Contributor

Just be relieved you don't own, and can move anytime- Inconsiderate neighbors are a  tough situation- 

Honored Contributor

Re: Issues with Neighbors

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

Around here when a neighbor's tree or shrub grows over a property line then it can be trimmed off at the property line. I did that with a neighbor's tree limbs which were  blocking the walkway to my backyard. Perfectly legal to do that.

Shoekitty said, yup.  I am in California and that's the way it is here.  I trim all the trees that grow on fence line.  Or, the tree man does.  My back neighbor though came to me years ago and said my plum tree branch had grown all the way to ground and fruit was bringing flies.  I didn't know this. It was it corner of our lot, and it was one thin sucker that had grown wild.  I couldn't for the life of me figure out why she didn't just didnt lop it off, or tell me a couple years sooner, lol.  I would have lopped it off if it was her tree in my yard.  From then on I am very vigilant about having tree guy cut all that stuff every January when he does trees.  That thing must have been 20 feet long.  Would you tolerate something like that in your yard? But some people don't know how, or they just don't do any yard work.  Lol