Honored Contributor

Re: Isn't it surprising the amount of "views" on posts?!

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

I don’t even understand how they track viewing a post.  It’s not like you hit something  to indicate you are viewing a post.  If you do a scroll drive by do they count that as a view?  I don’t get it.  

@Shawnie

sigh......................... I don't get it either........I the (very) old days we (pet lovers) would stay on here all night and have a wonderful time.  We made many,many close friends back then. Everything is soooooooo different now........................

@Shawnie and @MalteseMomma, it's just an elementary software feature that increments the "view" counter each time any device opens the screen displaying your post.   As others have said, it doesn't tell us how many people have read the post...  it only tells us that post was displayed that many times.   Whether I'm logged in or not, if I refresh my screen several times right now with this post displayed, the counter will go up every time I refresh.   This basic counter is relatively meaningless.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@kare29 wrote:

I happened upon this board in July by accident after looking up a PC support company that QVC was now using.  I did share my experience with the other posters on that thread because I thought what I had to say was helpful. 

I am not much of a shopper any more now that I am no longer working so I felt a bit guilty reviewing the boards but have gotten over that.  I will contribute if I feel I have something worth sharing  or heart another's post but a lot of times I do not sign in and just read the board.  Your comment about feeling slighted if people do not respond put things in a different perspective for me. So from a more shy viewer,  that certainly is not my intention--Karen 

That was so thoughtful of you to take time to post this, @kare29.  I'm glad you're here.  You're very kind.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

A lot of times you open a thread (therefore registering a 'viewed') and either find that you are not interested in the subject - usually because a person has begun a thread with a ridiculous 'is it just me...' or some kind of incomplete title - or 19 people have already answered the question and you don't feel the need to give the same answer another time because it's not necessary.  I don't need to keep answering an already answered question to make me look like I know stuff.  Smiley Happy

Plus, I don't think each 'view' is a separate person, necessarily.   If one is participating in a given thread they come back more times to further respond.

IMO, aside from the crazy fonts/colors/sizes/bolding/etc, the most annoying things in a thread here are when people move their cursor into the quote portion of the field so you don't know where the last person left off and where the quoter began.    I'll never get why some folks do that. 

Also, people who don't realize that a thread is a conversation.   They simply open the thread, maybe read the OP or maybe just the thread title, and then say the stuff that's already been said a dozen times in the thread.  It's like it doesn't matter to them what anybody else has to say.  It's just all about what they have to say.    That's the kind of conversation that's not much fun.

Everything you said is spot on, @chickenbutt!   And I want to re-emphasize:  each "view" is highly likely not to be a different person, or even someone logged in and participating.   It's just another view.  15 views could be 15 people or it could be one person who read the post 15 times.😊

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

A lot of times you open a thread (therefore registering a 'viewed') and either find that you are not interested in the subject - usually because a person has begun a thread with a ridiculous 'is it just me...' or some kind of incomplete title - or 19 people have already answered the question and you don't feel the need to give the same answer another time because it's not necessary.  I don't need to keep answering an already answered question to make me look like I know stuff.  Smiley Happy

Plus, I don't think each 'view' is a separate person, necessarily.   If one is participating in a given thread they come back more times to further respond.

IMO, aside from the crazy fonts/colors/sizes/bolding/etc, the most annoying things in a thread here are when people move their cursor into the quote portion of the field so you don't know where the last person left off and where the quoter began.    I'll never get why some folks do that. 

Also, people who don't realize that a thread is a conversation.   They simply open the thread, maybe read the OP or maybe just the thread title, and then say the stuff that's already been said a dozen times in the thread.  It's like it doesn't matter to them what anybody else has to say.  It's just all about what they have to say.    That's the kind of conversation that's not much fun.

Everything you said is spot on, @chickenbutt!   And I want to re-emphasize:  each "view" is highly likely not to be a different person, or even someone logged in and participating.   It's just another view.  15 views could be 15 people or it could be one person who read the post 15 times.😊

I just gave your post 6 views!  You're welcome.Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I opened and closed it about 55 times so I could raise the number.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I just gave your post 6 views!  You're welcome.Woman Very Happy

You're a hoot, @Lucky Charm!   You really did make me laugh out loud!😍 

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

I opened and closed it about 55 times so I could raise the number.

@Johnnyeager!😊  Love it!   Watch out...  someone will tell us we have too much time on our hands!😉

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Something else that surprised me is that they show who all is logged on, how long they've been logged on and how long they have been idle as opposed to carousing the forums/threads/posts.

eta:  maybe they took that feature away because I can't find it.

They did take that feature away.

Now, you can edit your preferences to private so nobody can see if you're online or not

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I need to get a hobby or do volunteer work.

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Something else that surprised me is that they show who all is logged on, how long they've been logged on and how long they have been idle as opposed to carousing the forums/threads/posts.

eta:  maybe they took that feature away because I can't find it.

They did take that feature away.

Now, you can edit your preferences to private so nobody can see if you're online or not

@Bri369,  The feature is still there, under "Blogs and Forums," with a count of "members" online and "guests" online.    You're correct, we can edit privacy preferences to hide our names.   Also, the list is incomplete (if you look at it carefully,  you'll see the pages and counts are off -- the list skips over names).  It's as buggy as the rest of the website, so we only can use it as a general guesstimate of number of individuals accessing the Community, logged in or not, hidden or not.😊