Honored Contributor

Re: Is this a common work experience?

No, that's just wrong that they didn't even pay her current wage for the 8 hours she spent in class.

Respected Contributor

On 3/10/2015 Irshgrl31201 said:
On 3/10/2015 SoftRaindrops said:
On 3/10/2015 hyacinth003 said:

Hyacinth, didn't they explain to her prior to this advancement what the requirements would be and what she would be paid for?

I think it is unfair but unfortunately, businesses today can be ruthless....

Congratulations, though, to your daughter for a job well done. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

No, they didn't tell her any of this!

They are not big on information!

Hyacinth

Very unfair! And as a mom, myself, this would be very upsetting for me. I know how hard your daughter worked to get this job and she certainly deserved to be told she wouldn't be getting paid for the training period.{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Maybe next time she should ask for everything in writing. Her employer should make it very clear, what is paid and not paid.

I agree with this. If she is working for the same company that she did in some of the OPs prior posts it does sound as though they have tried to take advantage of her daughter several times in the past.

Hi Irsh, I agree with you. I think they have a good worker in Hyacinth's daughter and they are really pushing the envelope here.....taking advantage of a loyal employee.

Respected Contributor

White Castle

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

Gee, times have sure changed. Employment practices were a lot different (better, in my experiences) years ago. Employment went from worse to better, then to much, much better, then, it looks as though it's getting worse again. That is, according to the facts/situations often times presented here on these boards.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

Hyacinth, didn't they explain to her prior to this advancement what the requirements would be and what she would be paid for?

Congratulations, though, to your daughter for a job well done. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Hyacinth

Very unfair! And as a mom, myself, this would be very upsetting for me. I know how hard your daughter worked to get this job and she certainly deserved to be told she wouldn't be getting paid for the training period.{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Maybe next time she should ask for everything in writing. Her employer should make it very clear, what is paid and not paid.

I agree with this. If she is working for the same company that she did in some of the OPs prior posts it does sound as though they have tried to take advantage of her daughter several times in the past.

Hi Irsh, I agree with you. I think they have a good worker in Hyacinth's daughter and they are really pushing the envelope here.....taking advantage of a loyal employee.

It certainly sounds like it!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

Hyacinth

Thank you, ladies.

Since my daughter has an autism spectrum disorder, I have had to work with her a LOT about a work place. Have had to "talk her down" so many times!! Especially early on. I encouraged her to apply for the management position to help her have some kind of advancement. Hope it will help her down the line for another career!

She is really smart, but needs a lot of help with social interactions and how to deal with people. She has had a crash course in the public, coworkers, and management.

She really wants to do well. She's not the fastest person, but she is intelligent.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

Hyacinth

Thank you, ladies.

Since my daughter has an autism spectrum disorder, I have had to work with her a LOT about a work place. Have had to "talk her down" so many times!! Especially early on. I encouraged her to apply for the management position to help her have some kind of advancement. Hope it will help her down the line for another career!

She is really smart, but needs a lot of help with social interactions and how to deal with people. She has had a crash course in the public, coworkers, and management.

She really wants to do well. She's not the fastest person, but she is intelligent.

Hyacinth

Hyacinth, I applaud your patience and understanding. You are a wonderful mom and your posts are always so loving when you speak of your daughter. I really believe in my heart that your daughter will do very well in life because she has you as her mom. And I mean that sincerely.....

Super Contributor

Here is the criteria for payment according to the Dept of Labor.

<h2>Criteria for Payment</h2>

The Department of Labor has four criteria to ascertain if training is reimbursable to an employee. The first variable regards the time of the training. If attendance is outside the employee's normal working hours then the employer may not be liable. Another important question for employers is whether attendance is voluntary and additionally, if the employee is performing any work during the training. If the employee is voluntarily attending training, not working during the training, and the training does not specifically address the job, then the company does not have to pay the employee for this time.

I think it is best that you call the Dept of Labor in your state to get the best information.

She only took the class because they told her she HAD to.

They did not put her on the work schedule that day, but never put her as gone to a class either. They just didn't schedule her.

She didn't do her actual work because she was in class.

I would say the training specifically addressed the job. It was on food safety and sanitation.

She paid the class fee and they will reimburse her that fee but not for her whole day.

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Employees must get paid for time spent in MANDATORY classes. Check with your labor department for their definitions.

Honored Contributor

On 3/10/2015 sciencegeek said:

Here is the criteria for payment according to the Dept of Labor.

<h2>Criteria for Payment</h2>

The Department of Labor has four criteria to ascertain if training is reimbursable to an employee. The first variable regards the time of the training. If attendance is outside the employee's normal working hours then the employer may not be liable. Another important question for employers is whether attendance is voluntary and additionally, if the employee is performing any work during the training. If the employee is voluntarily attending training, not working during the training, and the training does not specifically address the job, then the company does not have to pay the employee for this time.

I think it is best that you call the Dept of Labor in your state to get the best information.

She only took the class because they told her she HAD to.

They did not put her on the work schedule that day, but never put her as gone to a class either. They just didn't schedule her.

She didn't do her actual work because she was in class.

I would say the training specifically addressed the job. It was on food safety and sanitation.

She paid the class fee and they will reimburse her that fee but not for her whole day.

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Employees must get paid for time spent in MANDATORY classes. Check with your labor department for their definitions.

If this is a major fast food restaurant, they know the laws, they just don't care.

Whistleblowers almost always get canned, even if the company has to wait a bit and trump up charges.

People who want to keep their job, keep their mouths shut. You pick your battle, if it's big enough, go for it, but something like this isn't worth it, imo. Sure, it is, on a moral scale, but you can't win with it.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Hyacinth

Thank you, ladies.

Hyacinth

Hyacinth, I applaud your patience and understanding. You are a wonderful mom and your posts are always so loving when you speak of your daughter. I really believe in my heart that your daughter will do very well in life because she has you as her mom. And I mean that sincerely.....

I agree with that.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices