Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is this a common work experience?

It's probably common in fast food restaurant situations. You know they are cheap.

Super Contributor

On 3/10/2015 Irshgrl31201 said:
On 3/10/2015 hyacinth003 said:
On 3/10/2015 Irshgrl31201 said:

Is your daughter currently working on salary or is she still paid by the hour?

She is still an hourly employee.

The pay increase is per hour. But, she hasn't received it yet.

Hyacinth

Unless we have someone who works at the Dept of Labor here, I think for the most part you will be getting peoples opinions. It does not sound right to me that she would not get paid for training but I do know there are certain situations where this is legal. It is best that you or your daughter just call the Dept of Labor and thoroughly explain the situation that way if she is entitled to pay, she can tell her company that she has contacted the Dept of Labor and this is what they told her.

I haven't read all the replies yet, but I agree with the post above. Your only definitive answer will come from the DOL. Answers provided on this forum will all most likely be anecdotal, and each scenario may have variables that don't necessarily apply to your situation.

Honored Contributor

She should get mileage. Not sure how the train ticket would factor in. She should be paid her hourly rate she is in class, plus the cost of the class. (if she paid that)

I thought this company would not let her take rest breaks.

Honored Contributor

On 3/10/2015 insomniac said:

Teachers, in order to keep their certification, are often required to take graduate classes. Those can cost up to $1000 each. Teachers pay for them on their own.

It's the same thing, but magnified.

These are professional jobs. Working fast food is no comparison imo.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/10/2015 missy1 said:

She should get mileage. Not sure how the train ticket would factor in. She should be paid her hourly rate she is in class, plus the cost of the class. (if she paid that)

I thought this company would not let her take rest breaks.

The DOL does not require mileage be paid.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

My thoughts echo others who have posted. Fast food employment, even in a national chain, is most likely not going to offer the same benefits as typical corporate America.

This is a promotion for the OPs daughter in that she previously was a typical shift worker in a typical fast food place, which means there aren't many requirements for that job. She was given the opportunity to apply for the management position, but did not meet the requirements of the position yet (the certifications). I would think certifications like those would be absolute requirements for a manager at any place selling prepared food, not just her chain - so not just necessary for her specific job at her specific chain, but a requirement of the *type* of job she applied for.

Then, she has never been a supervisor before. She has no experience as a supervisor and the company doesn't know if she will work out. She will be on probation to see if she can do the job. At any time during her probation they could tell her it wasn't going to work out, and let her go. So they would not give her a supervisor's pay until she demonstrates she has supervisory abilities.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Sounds like a chintzy outfit. I'd guess they're within their rights or they'd probably not do it the way they are, but it seems as though she should be paid her current hourly wage for the time she's in class... but that's based on very little knowledge of the service industry. Hoping the investment pays off for her.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

On 3/10/2015 SoftRaindrops said:

Hyacinth, didn't they explain to her prior to this advancement what the requirements would be and what she would be paid for?

I think it is unfair but unfortunately, businesses today can be ruthless....

Congratulations, though, to your daughter for a job well done. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Businesses have to be careful in order to stay in business.

Honored Contributor

missy1: Now I remember that thread.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

On 3/11/2015 stevieb said:

Sounds like a chintzy outfit. I'd guess they're within their rights or they'd probably not do it the way they are, but it seems as though she should be paid her current hourly wage for the time she's in class... but that's based on very little knowledge of the service industry. Hoping the investment pays off for her.

It really is, but I don't know how it compares to others!

I think paying for a whole day in class would be the least they could do for their low paid workers!

They must be within the law. They do no more, no less.

Seems like most employers are penny wise and very pound foolish.

Wasn't what we envisioned spending so much for a college education for her. But, I am hoping she can take the experience and build on it.

Hyacinth