Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is it a boy or girl name

@Jinlei wrote:
Well, if I had kids I would not name it River!

And that's fine.  You would be entitled to name your children whatever you want to name them.

But other people have that right too.  :-)

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is it a boy or girl name

@J Town Girl wrote:

I like names that can go from childhood into adulthood seamlessly without missing a step.

What might seem cute when a boy or girl is only two years old might not seem suitable when they are middle-aged or older adults.   

To address the poster who said someone named their cat the same name as their great-granddaughter I can identify with the same feelings.

I once worked in a veterinary clinic where there was an older lady who was alone so I always went out of my way to be especially kind and patient with her.    One day she called me and said I've gotten a new kitten and I've named her after you.   For a few seconds, I was a little surprised and then I thought it was a nice compliment.  

Of course, everything time she came in with this kitten she told everyone in the waiting room that her cat was my namesake.   That was a little disconcerting but she was so sweet that I really didn't mind.  

I guess there are worse things that having a cat named after you.  Lol!

I would take it as a great compliment!  It must be nice to know that your kindness and patience were appreciated.  :-)