Frequent Contributor

Re: Is anyone watching The Italian Americans series on PBS?

Thanks for the heads up about the program. I am so glad the Italians came over here and brought their fabulous food! Best cooks in the world!
Respected Contributor

My maternal grandparents were from Bisaquino and San Cipirello, Sicily. One side went to Trinidad, Colorado where my gg-father worked in a silver mine. This was in the early 1900's. He was one of many who tried to organize for better wages. He was beaten up for this. They moved to Chicago. My grandfather came here via New Orleans but headed to Gary to work in a factory. We lived across the alley from them. Family life during my early years was filled with fabulous"peasant" food and love. Sadly, they died 5 days apart at 64 and 60 years of age. I have such fond family memories. My paternal grandparents were English and pretty fantastic as well. Just different. The 2 sets got along beautifully.
Honored Contributor

DooBDoo: Thank you, precious and helpful friend! Thank you for this link. I'm sure others who missed Part I will be thrilled, too!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Regular Contributor

sorry wrong thread

Esteemed Contributor

I have it taped. My Father was from Sicily . My Grandmother on mothers side came from Piedmonte, Northern Italy. I learned a lot from both of them. I was here in San Francisco California during WWII when they were discriminated against because of Mussilini who was allied with Hitler.

My Grandmother not an American Citizen yet, could not go out of the house before sun rise and had to be in before Sunset. My Dad was fighting for the US at the time. I remember the Air Raids. Also all the fishing boats down the coast where halted because the government was afraid the Italian Fisherman would be smuggling. It was not a good time for Italians and even worse for Jappnese.

The first person that started B of A was not JP Ginnini, I don't have his name, they thought Ginnini was too young. My Grandmother was a friend of his, they came over together. She got me a job at the Bof A when I was newly divorced and in my 30's. She made a phone call and that is all she wrote, I went to work the next day, no interview or test or anything. My Dad made phone calls and my sons were able to get in places for jobs also. Never underestimate the power of the ITALIANS. I helped my Grandma with her test questions toget her citizenship after the war. My Dad was gone for four years.

The immigrents in those days had it rough, all of them, not just Italians. They could not speak English and could not read signs, but they made it their business to learn because they were in the land of opportunity.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the replies and further info because a friend of mine missed the show so now I can tell her where to watch too for free.

Also QVC addiction yes all immigrants went through so much. And youre right about them learning to be part of society. My grandfather learned English very well. Grandmom spoke mostly Italian, but she learned enough English to function and pay the milk man and communicate with others. They were all proud of everything too. I really miss hearing everyone speak Italian. My parents, aunts, uncles, everyone is long gone :-(

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

I know what you mean, I'm the last of the old timers now. I took a tour through the Italian Cemetary in Daly City in June 2014, they do it once a year in June. They give a history of the famous Italians there and I also brought a book about the Italians during WWII in Calif. Very interesting. I will watch the documentary tonight, DVR'd it. I miss my Grandma's cooking. I miss the good times with family and the Holiday dinners. Everyone gone, that is what happens when you get old. Good memories, even the war time. People helped one another and neightbors helped one another.

North Beach where I spent part of my Childhood is not the real little Italy it once was. Mostly Asians now run the business, no offense, but though good people, not Italian. My Dad used to play ball as teens with Joe DiMaggo. This was at the park on Green and Columbus I think.

My Grandma spoke broken English, but English just the same. Good to know you native language, but also the language of the country you live in. Speak both. They had no welfare them, but very hard workers.

Respected Contributor

On 2/18/2015 qvcaddition said:

I have it taped. My Father was from Sicily . My Grandmother on mothers side came from Piedmonte, Northern Italy. I learned a lot from both of them. I was here in San Francisco California during WWII when they were discriminated against because of Mussilini who was allied with Hitler.

My Grandmother not an American Citizen yet, could not go out of the house before sun rise and had to be in before Sunset. My Dad was fighting for the US at the time. I remember the Air Raids. Also all the fishing boats down the coast where halted because the government was afraid the Italian Fisherman would be smuggling. It was not a good time for Italians and even worse for Jappnese.

The first person that started B of A was not JP Ginnini, I don't have his name, they thought Ginnini was too young. My Grandmother was a friend of his, they came over together. She got me a job at the Bof A when I was newly divorced and in my 30's. She made a phone call and that is all she wrote, I went to work the next day, no interview or test or anything. My Dad made phone calls and my sons were able to get in places for jobs also. Never underestimate the power of the ITALIANS. I helped my Grandma with her test questions toget her citizenship after the war. My Dad was gone for four years.

The immigrents in those days had it rough, all of them, not just Italians. They could not speak English and could not read signs, but they made it their business to learn because they were in the land of opportunity.

The founder of Bank of America (Bank of Italy) was Amadeo Giannini, as stated in the documentary. He founded the bank.in 1904, when he was 34.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

I missed it, will be sure to tell my daughter about it. Her grandfather was 1/2 Italian, his father came through Ellis Island. He got work in a coal mine along with colored people. It was the only job they could find. He, along with many others lost his life during a famous coal mine disaster in Illinois. It was sickening to see so many names of fathers and sons who were killed. He smoked hams, did whatever he could. He also planted a huge garden as many miners did as the mines didn't operate during the summer. Sorry this is such a mess, on my IPad.
Super Contributor

My late hubby traveled to Italy while he was in the Navy. My daughter and I visited Italy two years ago. It was wonderful to visit the places he had visited and told us about. She is a great source of ancient history and told me about the areas we visited. She takes after her father in that area, not me. One thing I didn't expect was some of the older citizens gave us a very cool reception, didn't care for Americans.