Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is anyone watching The Italian Americans series on PBS?

I'm Jewish and my parents were born in NYC -- but I appreciated how the Italian immigrants came to America worked hard, stayed together and struggled to earn a living to take care of their families. They didn't look for hand-outs and eventually blended in.

Esteemed Contributor

He was not the first, I will dig out my book and get the name. If I can,t find it, I will e mail the manager of the ITALIAN CEMENTARY and get the name..
Esteemed Contributor

I'm sorry I missed this. I will try to catch the next episode.

Both of my grandparents were from Sicily and came through Ellis Island. Their marriage was arranged. They lived in Brooklyn, NY, most of their lives and were such delightful, crazy people. Worked hard most of their lives -- she as a seamstress and he as a plasterer. I loved hearing them all talk at dinner time. A mix of Italian and American and always a bit loud{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Their house was on the corner of Avenue U and McDonald Ave. and was alive with activity night and day. My grandfather had a lovely garden in a vacant lot near their house and fertilized it with fish heads from the local market.

I started looking up their history once and just didn't take the time to go very far. They both left Sicily so young and never saw their parents alive again. And, sadly, they and all the children (including my mother) are gone now. No one to ask any questions of anymore.

Such fabulous people I can never forget.