Respected Contributor

This salary includes all the benefits. If the benefits are very good, they can be about 40 - 50% of the amount of their salary. 

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't want to do their job.  They work in all types of weather, hot and cold...with no AC and little heat.

They also have to carry heavy packages up many flights of stairs or up hills to deliver them.

If they get into an accident or reported traffic stop, they will get fired.

Their job isn't easy and the stress levels are high.  I know men who work for them as delivery drivers and I wouldn't want to be them.

My SIL works for UPS in the office.  It is a hectic job too, but I am sure she doesn't make the same amount as the drivers.

The people who load the trucks work hard too.  I appreciate everyone efforts and their hard work.  They deserve to be paid well.

If a college educated person wants to make " big money" and they can't for their selected field...they can apply to UPS if they wish.  They should be able to figure out how to do an unskilled job that involves manual labor, time management and good driving.

Honored Contributor

Not all "unskilled" persons are uneducated. Some posters would be surprised at how many "unskilled" laborers have 2 or 4 year college degrees.

Whether pushed by parents or the student wanting the degree does not matter. 

I've known incompetent "professionals" and I've seen lesser educated people with more intelligence and common sense than someone with a Ph.D.

Some people working in degree related careers are not happy and some with degrees or with no degree are happy with whatever they chose for work outside of their degree, if they chose to attend college.

I agree we need to begin to get back to basics from day one and focus on educating children to become great human beings.

You do not need a degree to contribute to society.

A UPS driver is just as important as some so-called attorneys e.g.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I'm thinking my husband or I need that job. 

@GenXmuse 

And there is another "benefit" I don't think anyone has touched on.  

My niece's best friend (a 25 year old single mother who had just purchased a house) lost her job during the pandemic. 

She took a job at FedEx and as a result has the most smoking hot body!  

And another little benefit--she made friends with every dog at the homes to which she delivered.

Win-win!

Trusted Contributor

@Bookplate   From my own knowledge, college professors make a VERY HANDSOME SALARY including generous benefits and retirement plans. 

Then, of course, most college professors have tenure that means he/she can't be fired.

Some are paid to teach only one course. 

I could go on and on; however, equating a UPS driver's salary with a college professor's seems like mixing "apples and oranges."

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 @I have the identical thoughts as you do and your post sounds like you could read my mind. 

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624    Most definitely....as prices go up and up and up, adjustments must be made by those of us living on a fixed income!

Respected Contributor

@Malcontent wrote:

@Kachina624 

That’s just what I read. The newly contracted (no experience drivers) will get the caca routes/hours. Also the article said that they will be spending a lot of time too in the depot at first sorting packages ect.

That's pretty much par for the course in many jobs...the newest hires get the crummy shifts, routes, departments, etc. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Is This Too Much?

[ Edited ]

@granddi wrote:

UPS reported a record profit for 2022 as its revenue reached $100 billion for the first time since its founding in 1907.

The company said Tuesday it earned $3.2 billion in the fourth quarter, little changed from a year ago and slightly better than analysts surveyed by Refinitiv were expecting. But it was enough to lift full-year earnings to $11.3 billion, up from what had already been a record, of $10.7 billion, a year ago.

The company has enjoyed three years of rapid growth as online shopping surged during the pandemic. In 2019, the year before the pandemic began, UPS reported revenue of $74.4 billion, and adjusted income of $6.5 billion.

Wonder how they earned record profits? 

This is from the Guardian and is about a yr old:

The wage gap between chief executives and workers at some of the US companies with the lowest-paid staff grew even wider last year, with CEOs making an average of $10.6m, while the median worker received $23,968.

A study of 300 top US companies released by the Institute for Policy Studies(IPS) on Tuesday found the average gap between CEO and median worker pay jumped to 670-to-1 (meaning the average CEO received $670 in compensation for every $1 the worker received). The ratio was up from 604-to-1 in 2020. Forty-nine firms had ratios above 1,000-to-1.

At more than a third of the companies surveyed, IPS found that median worker pay did not keep pace with inflation

Thanks for posting this info.  I was just going to ask what the salaries of the executives are.    IMO:  Corporate greed.

It's about time the worker bees stood up for themselves.

Trusted Contributor
They pushed college for decades so now that so many have it, a degree isn't worth what it used to be (md excluded).