Honored Contributor

I was flabbergasted this morning to hear that, under their new contract, UPS full-time drivers will earn $170,000/yr.  Part-timers will earn $25 to $75/hr and receive full benefits and pension.

I'm fully aware that these people really hustle and must work under adverse weather conditions but isn't that excessive for a job that requires no education beyond high school and no vocational training?  No other local delivery job even comes close.

That raises the bar and puts pressure on other employers to also raise pay rates, ultimately causing price increases for consumers.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

We can't get people to work anymore!!  So if they show up, in bad weather too, and deliver my packages, I don't care what they make.  They need some reward for just showing up anymore.  It's a sign of the times.

Honored Contributor

I believe that will reach that amount over a 5 year span when this new contract runs out.

Included in the figure are health benefits and pension contributions.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Good for them. I can't imagine doing the work they do. Can you imagine carrying stuff through heat, freezing temps, snow, rain.  Or delivering to a high rise office building anywhere?  Not the job for me. I appreciate the hard work they do and am glad to see the compensation. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

What the market will bear I guess.

Honored Contributor

They said pay and benefits. Are they adjusting the salary by putting a price on the benefits, including the value of the benefits in the $170,000.00? At that pay scale, we will have kids not bothering with college.😳

Respected Contributor

I don't know.

UPS said the average full-time driver would earn about $170,000 (£135,000) annually, including healthcare and other benefits, by the end of the five-year contract.

That is up from about $145,000 now.

This discussion could include sports, performers, stock brokers, lawyers, celebrities, CEO, inherited wealth...............

Respected Contributor

Seems like they won't be hiring many full time drivers. I also see the added expenses passed along to the consumer. I also agree that fewer will bother with higher ed/vocational training and others will be frustrated they worked their tails off for a degree when they could make more without it nor have the loans they have to pay back.

Respected Contributor

I read this amount also includes their benefits package .

Good for them. $25.00 an hour is not exorbitant.

Many people can't afford to rent or buy homes.

It's time everyone was paid a decent wage.  

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

They said pay and benefits. Are they adjusting the salary by putting a price on the benefits, including the value of the benefits in the $170,000.00? At that pay scale, we will have kids not bothering with college.😳

@Trinity11 Not everyone is cut out to go to college.  That doesn't mean they shouldn't make a comfortable living for a hard day's work.