Honored Contributor

So I live in NYC and I was under the impression testing statewide was free to anyone. I needed to get a Covid-19 nasal swab test so I could have cataract surgery. I have insurance and went to an urgent care facility in my network. I was told by my insurance company there was no charge to me for the test and the urgent care facility said there would be no charge to me. So today I get an EOB (explanation of benefits) saying I owe $70. I called my insurance company and was told I owe a copay. Now I was assured there was no charge to me, if I had gone to a statewide site I wouldn't have paid anything. I tell the CS rep that's a sneaky way to try to get payment from me (again I was told it wouldn't cost me anything by the insurance company). She knew I was angry, she put in some kind of claim for it to be looked at again, but let's face it I will not win and have to pay the $70. I have had problems with this insurance company, I'm done with them (I buy from the marketplace).

Trusted Contributor

Re: Is Covid-19 Testing Free

where i live, it runs up to $250 when you go to those 24 hour ER clinics. there's a long line too. 

Honored Contributor

I think they're free here at the state-sponsored test sites.  Of course you have to sit in your car in 100° heat and wait forever.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

it is free at some of the maryland state run sites.

no appointments at some locations, no doctors script necessary.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

In NJ it's free.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't expect any private medical location to offer free testing unless it is advertised.

Honored Contributor

A co-pay is a little different from the cost of the test. I wouldn't dispute their explanation. $70 is the cost of a top or pair of shoes on QVC. Not a huge amount by any means.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

A co-pay is a little different from the cost of the test. I wouldn't dispute their explanation. $70 is the cost of a top or pair of shoes on QVC. Not a huge amount by any means.

It isn't the amount, it's that I was told over the phone by a customer rep of the insurance company there would be no charge to me, and the urgent care facility told me that too. I know I will end up paying the $70, little people like me never fare well going up against any company.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 

I'm also in NYC - went to a state hosptial since it was close to me to get tested

it is supposed to be free but then I didn't receive the bill yet - they took my insurance info

My brother went to CityMD for a tetanus shot and they offered to give him the test and told him it was free

both happened last week

Trusted Contributor

Are you sure that amount is just only the office visit copay?   With my insurance any visit to an Urgent clinic is a 75 dollar copay.  Then the test for covid is 100 percent covered by insurance.