Respected Contributor

I've never been to Ireland, but what about visiting some of the old castles?  Blarney Castle is in the area where my ancestors lived, County Cork..  There's also Dublin Castle, but if I understood what I read on the Internet just now, it's been turned into government buildings, which doesn't sound too interesting. 

Contributor

we decided to spend 2 nights in Dublin.  I found an apartment on air B and B on the Main Street in the city.  Decided to get a 72 hour tour bus ticket .  This will pick us up from airport and we can take any of the different tours that they offer for 72 hours.  We will then take the tour bus back to airport and pick up a rent a car , get a map and just start driving.   This way we do not have to deal with parking in the city and it will allow us to see everything there is to see.   Will purchase the tour ticket from tripadvisor.

Honored Contributor

I'm going to Ireland in September also!  Have a wonderful trip!

Valued Contributor
I've been 4 times and Dublin remains my favorite but we have stayed in some very charming small towns. We always travel by bus so that is somewhat limiting.

Stayed at a B&B in Salt Hill close enough to Galway but not as busy. A B&B in Bantry Bay which is small and on the coast. Spent Christmas in Youghal a couple years ago. Another small seaside town north of Cork. My ideal retirement place.

Honored Contributor

@ballyk wrote:
I've been 4 times and Dublin remains my favorite but we have stayed in some very charming small towns. We always travel by bus so that is somewhat limiting.

Stayed at a B&B in Salt Hill close enough to Galway but not as busy. A B&B in Bantry Bay which is small and on the coast. Spent Christmas in Youghal a couple years ago. Another small seaside town north of Cork. My ideal retirement place.

@ballyk

We enjoyed our stay in Youghal.

Valued Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@ballyk wrote:

@ballyk

We enjoyed our stay in Youghal.

I just loved it there. My wish is forget Florida and spend my winters there Smiley Happy