Trusted Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe   Hi! I would recommend the Invisaligners, although they were about $5000. I made monthly payments.

They start by making a mold of your top and bottom teeth. My dentist said both had to be treated to make sure they matched up the bite. I had to change mine every two weeks with a new set. I was really diligent about wearing them for about 20 hours daily, and had them for under 2 years. When I told people I wore them, they couldn't believe it because they couldn't see them. I now have retainers made of a stronger resin/plastic and wear them at night while I sleep. Probably for the rest of my life, but it's worth it!

Good luck! 🦷

Esteemed Contributor

I wore braces for over 3 years in HS.  I did invisalign for about a year to re-straighten some teeth.  I wear retainers at nignt now and forever...

Respected Contributor

@Lisa Y wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe   Hi! I would recommend the Invisaligners, although they were about $5000. I made monthly payments.

They start by making a mold of your top and bottom teeth. My dentist said both had to be treated to make sure they matched up the bite. I had to change mine every two weeks with a new set. I was really diligent about wearing them for about 20 hours daily, and had them for under 2 years. When I told people I wore them, they couldn't believe it because they couldn't see them. I now have retainers made of a stronger resin/plastic and wear them at night while I sleep. Probably for the rest of my life, but it's worth it!

Good luck! 🦷

At our orthodontist's office, they no longer have to make physical molds with that  yucky stuff -- they do it with a "virtual" tool. Both of my kids have had Invisalign, but both were in high school when they did it. With my daughter, who went first, the aligners were changed every two weeks, and it took her about a year. Four'ish years later, my son had to change his every week (the protocol had changed, not because his case was unique) and it took him a little under a year. Neither of them had horrible problems to correct. Our orthodontist likes it because you can do more intricate movement of individual teeth, unlike old-fashioned braces. But you do have to have someone who is willing to be diligent about wearing the aligners, changing them at the proper interval, and brushing well before re-inserting them. I am currently in the preliminary stage of doing Invisalign, but unfortunately, I had to undergo gum surgery before the orthodontist was able to proceed. I'm just waiting for clearance from the periodontist to get started! (BTW, I am approaching 60.)

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for sharing @jonbon I wish you luck!  Good to hear I am not the only one considering at similar age....

Respected Contributor

I had braces on my top teeth WAY back in the day (80's) I had one fang tooth issue that needed to be addressed....I had to wear that AWFUL looking thing that is a giant wire that is strapped to your head!  I had people ask me if I could contact outer space for them!Woman Sad I was just starting high school!  I only wore it at home but friends would stop by and I'd forget I had that stupid thing on LOL!!

Fast forward....I have had TMJ issues for yrs and my bite was totally off...only 2 teeth even mildly touched when I closed my mouth to chew.  I had one front tooth that had some how over the yrs curve downward and it would hit into my bottom teeth no matter how careful I was...OUCH!  

So finally after 3 dentists said I REALLY needed to do something....I trusted this last dentist and we did the invisaligners.  It is expensive...that's why I kept putting it off...but in the end worth it.  MUCH better then the braces from the 80's...and I wear a retainer at night now only.  This way my teeth won't go back into that out of whack position again.  Dentist told me every ones teeth over time shift some...for many reasons.  So I will be wearing a retainer....until the end! Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

So get this, I have a small mouth, had to have four teeth pulled, I had to wear this appliance that slowly cracked my upper palette with a few turns of the key everyday. I remember the rubber bands that would snap in your mouth, the wax you would put on to relieve the pain, the tightening the ortho did at my appointments which left me in tears.

Respected Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Lisa Y wrote:

Well, lucky me! I had braces from age 12-13, and Invisaligners from age 48-50.  My teeth had shifted as an adult and I didn't want dental problems later on in life. I certainly hope I won't need braces again at age 70! 

Hi @Lisa Y I have never worn braces and am in my mid 50s.  My teeth were very mildly crooked, but have crowded more with age.  I am thinking about geting them fixed.  My top front tooth is only slghlty out of line, but my bottom teeth are all misaligned.  I haven't been to the orthodontist yet.  Would love to hear whether you have any recommendations for me.  Thanks!

@NYCLatinaMe I got braces when I was 60!   Wore them about 2-1/2 years,  When the braces came off he cemented a thin bar behind my bottom front teeth to keep them from wandering, and I wear retainers at night (they look like what they show in Invisalign commercials).   I LOVE my nice straight teeth now, and am so glad I went through the braces process!

Esteemed Contributor

@alicedee thanks for sharing your experience and how happy you are!  Maybe this is worth it.  I think it will only get worse if I do nothing.  It has gotten worse at a very slow pace, but now it's pretty bad.  Hard to keep clean.

Respected Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@alicedee thanks for sharing your experience and how happy you are!  Maybe this is worth it.  I think it will only get worse if I do nothing.  It has gotten worse at a very slow pace, but now it's pretty bad.  Hard to keep clean.

I hear you!  It does get worse as we age.  My bite was really off because of crooked teeth.  And I was self-conscious my whole life.  I encourage  you to get the braces, invest in a Waterpik to help keep everything clean, keep all the ortho appointments, and wear your retainers at night whrn you are done faithfully!  Time goes by so quickly now...I don't think you will be sorry.

Esteemed Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

I hear you!  It does get worse as we age.  My bite was really off because of crooked teeth.  And I was self-conscious my whole life.  I encourage  you to get the braces, invest in a Waterpik to help keep everything clean, keep all the ortho appointments, and wear your retainers at night whrn you are done faithfully!  Time goes by so quickly now...I don't think you will be sorry.

Thanks @alicedee, I appreciate the advice, and will get an exam, probably in a few weeks.  I did get the new waterfloss waterpik.  I was using the oralb, which I think is a better brush (round), but I like the combo with the waterfloss.  I had a separate waterfloss and never used it.  So this is better.