Honored Contributor

And we have another cruise issue

Apparently 3 people who work for Metro Cruise Services at Port Everglades have tested positive for COVID-19.

Anyone who has traveled through this port over the last 14 days is being told to self-isolate and contact their health department.

I belong to a number of FB cruise groups and the attitude by some is amazing.  One woman just stated her husband had open heart in June, is over 60 and diabetic but they are cruising this weekend anyhow.  One woman just got back and is quarantined for 2 weeks, not sure if her employer made her do that or what but she doesn't care because now she can sit at home in her pjs and work.  

Many arguments and nasty comments over there between those who are canceling and those who are going and think this is all overblown hype.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: And we have another cruise issue

Doesn't sound like she has HIS best interest at heart.  Wonder if the Life Insurance is paid up and current.   Hmmm

Respected Contributor

I just returned from my hematologist appointment this morning.  My doctor is very renowned and works at a large hospital.  I told him I was planning on a cruise this weekend but needed his advice on this trip.  He told me that he thought it would be fine for me to go but use the necessary precautions that would be used during the flu season.   He gave me some signs to watch for and to call if I needed anything from him.  DH and I plan on going unless the cruise line cancels.  We don't want to live our lives in fear but realize we have to be responsible for our own health.

Honored Contributor

The fools are the flippant ones and the wise ones do what is right and stay home. Very sad, the flippant ones will be first in line to sue the cruise line when they get sick. It's all about them, they could care less about others. 

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

I just returned from my hematologist appointment this morning.  My doctor is very renowned and works at a large hospital.  I told him I was planning on a cruise this weekend but needed his advice on this trip.  He told me that he thought it would be fine for me to go but use the necessary precautions that would be used during the flu season.   He gave me some signs to watch for and to call if I needed anything from him.  DH and I plan on going unless the cruise line cancels.  We don't want to live our lives in fear but realize we have to be responsible for our own health.

@Hoovermom, you have to do what you are comfortable doing but for me, there is no way I would go.  I am booked for an end of April cruise and I will wait to see if on the off chance things settle down.  Otherwise, no way am I going.

Besides the fact that I have no faith that people will be honest about being ill when boarding, etc., there is no way I want to disembark at a port and not be allowed to embark again for some reason or another.  I don't want to end up quarantined off ship in a foreign country or even worse, stuck on a ship under quarantine. I don't want to be denied entry to ports and end up on a cruise to nowhere.  

I cannot afford to come home and find out we have to self isolate for 14 days, minimum.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Apparently 3 people who work for Metro Cruise Services at Port Everglades have tested positive for COVID-19.

Anyone who has traveled through this port over the last 14 days is being told to self-isolate and contact their health department.

I belong to a number of FB cruise groups and the attitude by some is amazing.  One woman just stated her husband had open heart in June, is over 60 and diabetic but they are cruising this weekend anyhow.  One woman just got back and is quarantined for 2 weeks, not sure if her employer made her do that or what but she doesn't care because now she can sit at home in her pjs and work.  

Many arguments and nasty comments over there between those who are canceling and those who are going and think this is all overblown hype.

Well, what do you expect her do while at home for the two weeks?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

The fools are the flippant ones and the wise ones do what is right and stay home. Very sad, the flippant ones will be first in line to sue the cruise line when they get sick. It's all about them, they could care less about others. 

@RetRN :  I think we are being very wise and sought out my doctor's counsel.  No, we won't sue the airlines/cruise ship if we do get sick.   We could get sick here in our town just as well on our cruise.  We don't want to live in fear and will take all the necessary precautions to guard our health.  I do care about others and am saddened to hear of the deaths/sickness of people with this virus.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

@Hoovermom, you have to do what you are comfortable doing but for me, there is no way I would go.  I am booked for an end of April cruise and I will wait to see if on the off chance things settle down.  Otherwise, no way am I going.

Besides the fact that I have no faith that people will be honest about being ill when boarding, etc., there is no way I want to disembark at a port and not be allowed to embark again for some reason or another.  I don't want to end up quarantined off ship in a foreign country or even worse, stuck on a ship under quarantine. I don't want to be denied entry to ports and end up on a cruise to nowhere.  

I cannot afford to come home and find out we have to self isolate for 14 days, minimum.  

@Lipstickdiva :  You have to do what you are comfortable with.  I think it is wrong to accuse others of being inconsiderate if they take another course.  We are all responsible for ourselves and cannot make others do what we wish they would do.

Valued Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@Hoovermom  I'm just curious and if you don't mind me asking are over the age of 60? Only reason I ask is because I just saw on the news from the CDC stating that anyone over the age of 60 should NOT go to any large gatherings or be in confined spaces (cruises, airplanes for an extended period, etc)

They were stating that it was NOT advised unless it was absolutely necessary. I'm sorry, but a CRUISE isn't absolutely necessary imo. I've never been on one, but I have no desire to either even if I could afford it. Anyways, please make the right decision for you and your DH. I'm sorry, but I would NOT listen to my dr in this situation. Period. He might not be aware of the current advisory. 

~ Hope in TN ~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Apparently, CDC and NIH doctors wanted to issue a statement telling those at risk, particularly senior citizens, not only to avoid cruises but also to avoid flying. The latter was vetoed by certain government officials. That tells me something I already knew. We are not getting a complete story. One reason for that is we need more tests and we need to gather information more coherently...and disseminate it clearly to the public.

My point here is that right now we have to make decisions on travel, as well as other things, based on the information we currently have, the messenger who provides that information, and the personal risks that we assess. Those congressmen who self- quarantined after contact with someone who has the virus want to protect others. On the other hand, one congressman who was with the man who's sick decided he will continue going to work. Something similar happened in Iran and several members of their parliament are now ill and one or two died.