Trusted Contributor

Re: Investigating the contacts of the 66% that stayed at home

Viruses are teeny tiny organisms. They are everywhere. We can take all the precautions in the world and still get sick. This virus can  be in the air, on surfaces, in fabrics or on people.  In NYC where people literally live on top of each other in huge apartment buildings, there are shared air vents; the virus certainly can enter a home that way. Masks don't protect the wearer from the virus; they prevent the wearer from spreading it to others. Unless the user is changing their masks frequently or spraying them with disinfectant constantly, the virus can enter right through the mask, especially the cloth ones. The threads are like barn doors to teeny tiny organisms. And since it goes right to the lungs, masks may even increase the odds of the wearer becoming infected, because if the virus is on the mask, you're breathing it in. Many people who have been exposed never get sick. Could be because they have immunity, natural or from a previous strain. Some people have strong immune systems that fight off the virus before it has a chance to reproduce in the body. Some people get sick, and, sadly, yes, some people die. It's a crapshoot. In any case, the mortality rate is extremely low; about 1%.

I have taken heat from some of the posters here for saying that if it's your time, you will get this virus in spite of every possible precaution, and I stand by that statement. You can't hide from the will of G-d. 

Respected Contributor

My impression is that these are some pretty flimsy data based on a survey in which people can either be dishonest or just not recollect their movements in an accurate or meaningful way.  Some people are delusional about their behaviors putting them at risk, or in denial. My neighbors right next door are an elderly couple, neither of which is in good health.  There is a clearly posted ban on housekeepers entering the property.  They have their housekeeper about 3-4 times per week.  Who knows where else this woman travels to on any given day.  Other homes?  Are there sick people there? This is just one example. Because knowing these people and their attitudes they would lie about (because they think nobody is noticing) and because they think they're above it all.  They are very arrogant people, overall and these types of people will not provide accurate data to anyone so as to not be called out about it.

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I feel that exposure might be better than isolation... builds immunity.  From my thirty year teacher experience... I never took sick leave... and kids were sick all around me. I don't pretent to be a scientist or doctor but that was my experience.  

@bonnielu, you were lucky and/or you have an especially robust immunity.

If you've never contracted any virus or bacteria in you life, you are unique.

None of this relates to the rest of us, even those who are under 65 and very healthy. While most people do survive, many, many of all ages often suffer with very distressing  and long-lasting symptoms. About 20 percent end up hospitalized. The lucky ones get released.

It's a krap shoot. And it's one that puts all the rest of us in danger. You might think about that before heading out to get immunity.

Common sense precautions are not so onerous.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

This is ridiculous.  The virus didn't knock their doors down to get in.  

They got it from someone.  

I mean from a contact that was outside, at the doorway. 

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Just because they were living in their own homes doesn't mean they were staying at home.

We are staying home except for a weekly trip to the grocery store, so technically are we really staying home?

The virus didn't just sneak in during the night, they got it from someone.

Tracing these exposures is the point. Learning from this is important. 

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

My impression is that these are some pretty flimsy data based on a survey in which people can either be dishonest or just not recollect their movements in an accurate or meaningful way.  Some people are delusional about their behaviors putting them at risk, or in denial. My neighbors right next door are an elderly couple, neither of which is in good health.  There is a clearly posted ban on housekeepers entering the property.  They have their housekeeper about 3-4 times per week.  Who knows where else this woman travels to on any given day.  Other homes?  Are there sick people there? This is just one example. Because knowing these people and their attitudes they would lie about (because they think nobody is noticing) and because they think they're above it all.  They are very arrogant people, overall and these types of people will not provide accurate data to anyone so as to not be called out about it.

@Grouchomarx Everything you say serves to make the point for the necessity of investigating the contacts of these patients. It's obvious that not everyone will report honestly. Tracers are aware that people lie and forget. If both of your neighbors were hospitalized in New York with COVID-19 and they or their relatives are questioned by contract tracers about their contacts they might tell the truth or not. That's if they are fortunate enough to survive to be able to answer the questions they are asked. We can only hope to gain some data from this tracing effort. It won't be perfect as no self reports are perfect.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

People lie, and sometimes they don't realize they're misrepresenting the facts.

I have a friend in NYC who says repeatedly that he's staying at home. But he markets at 2 or 3 stores daily, visits a friend across town weekly, and spent time with other friends at their house upstate. I know all this because he tells me. He doesn't count the lapses. It's like someone on a diet who fails to enter the family-size bag of chips they demolished in their food journal. But my friend insists that he's obeying the lockdown. He's married and his wife is with him, so it's not as if he has no company.

This is why people will continue to get sick. They just can't stand to be inside, so they're going out and being exposed.

In my observation, men are worse about conforming to virus hygiene than women.

@noodleann I know several like this!  One was going to come see me and I said NO!  LOL!!!  He's staying home except for the bank and the drug store and the bank and credit union and going to see a family member and getting take out.  

But he's for sure staying home!  Woman Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

I have a friend in NYC who says repeatedly that he's staying at home. But he markets at 2 or 3 stores daily, visits a friend across town weekly, and spent time with other friends at their house upstate. I know all this because he tells me. He doesn't count the lapses. It's like someone on a diet who fails to enter the family-size bag of chips they demolished in their food journal. But my friend insists that he's obeying the lockdown. He's married and his wife is with him, so it's not as if he has no company.

This is why people will continue to get sick. They just can't stand to be inside, so they're going out and being exposed.

@noodleann I know several like this!  One was going to come see me and I said NO!  LOL!!!  He's staying home except for the bank and the drug store and the bank and credit union and going to see a family member and getting take out.  

I have friends like that, they are staying at home.  Then when you ask them about the picture they posted of them in the park or the trip they made to the store it is all 'but we are allowed to do that".

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

A lot of people I know think they are sheltering in place, but really aren't. 

They go to the store once a week or every  two or three weeks. They have people stop over and social distance outside, but maybe not far enough. 

They go through drive through at the bank, the pharmacy etc.

All those things can subject you to the virus, although you are reducing the risk tremendously. 

But I think most people aren't being totally honest about how much they are (not) staying home. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@Sooner I know so many people that behave just as you describe. They just don't get it. It's all about CONTACT. For every contact made with someone you make contact with everyone they made contact with and so on and so forth. So many of these trips are just unnecessary and add to the risk of contraction.