Super Contributor

Interesting Fact

[ Edited ]

The tallest dam in the United States is the Oroville Dam in Oroville CA.

There are over 1400 dams in Ca!

Honored Contributor

Yes, I knew this. I was at the dam's vistor's center last year and was really surprised when I read this there. I had no idea and always assumed it was the Hoover dam.

Super Contributor

I was born in Oroville....most of the people that I grew up with were also "dam babies" as most of our parents relocated to California from across the nation to work on the project. 

Oroville dam was also the largest earth-filled dam in the world until a larger dam was built in Egypt.

I've been getting fb updates from the locals and the water levels of Lake Oroville have been rising beautifully.  The expect the lake to be at 100% of historical average by Monday.

http://www.krcrtv.com/news/local/lake-oroville-nears-100-percent-of-historical-average/38508250

Honored Contributor

@MikafromTopeka wrote:

I was born in Oroville....most of the people that I grew up with were also "dam babies" as most of our parents relocated to California from across the nation to work on the project. 

Oroville dam was also the largest earth-filled dam in the world until a larger dam was built in Egypt.

I've been getting fb updates from the locals and the water levels of Lake Oroville have been rising beautifully.  The expect the lake to be at 100% of historical average by Monday.

http://www.krcrtv.com/news/local/lake-oroville-nears-100-percent-of-historical-average/38508250

@MikafromTopeka this is AMAZING to hear because a year ago when I was there it was so depressing. I actually teared up because I am used to seeing it full. I've never seen it like that.

Respected Contributor

I would have guessed the Hoover Dam which I visited years ago. It is quite impressive.

Honored Contributor

yeah ridiculous how many dams there are in CA. And didn't they just vote to put more in? Most other places are removing many of their dams but oh no not California, lol.

Honored Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

I would have guessed the Hoover Dam which I visited years ago. It is quite impressive.

Have you ever been to the Oroville Dam? It is quite impressive as well, just not as dramatic because of the craziness of how the Hoover was built. I've been to both and they are both very interesting.