Contributor

A few months ago, we tried to place an order through Instacart from Costco.  Their website did not indicate they were out of any items listed.  So we placed our order and when it was delivered we were missing about half of the order.  We asked the delivery person about this and she said she didn't know anything about it.  We were charged the full amount of the order.  My husband made multiple calls to try to get this resolved with no response.  We finally had to dispute the charge through our credit card company.  After this we found out from an acquaintance, who works at Costco, they apparently have problems like this on an ongoing basis.  She told us not to order that way anymore.

Honored Contributor

@loisp wrote:

A few months ago, we tried to place an order through Instacart from Costco.  Their website did not indicate they were out of any items listed.  So we placed our order and when it was delivered we were missing about half of the order.  We asked the delivery person about this and she said she didn't know anything about it.  We were charged the full amount of the order.  My husband made multiple calls to try to get this resolved with no response.  We finally had to dispute the charge through our credit card company.  After this we found out from an acquaintance, who works at Costco, they apparently have problems like this on an ongoing basis.  She told us not to order that way anymore.

@loisp, unfortunately, the website can't monitor the inventory in all the different locations. If you didn't get items, you just go online. There is an easy procedure to get a refund.

BTW, Amazon Fresh has never not had items that I ordered, probably because they have control over their warehouses. But Amazon Fresh has its own drawbacks.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

@GenXmuse I used Instacart quite a few times during the pandemic. At first, everything was fine.  I always had large orders and ALWAYS gave shopper a big tip.

Then, everything began to slip.  Discrepancies in pricing, omitted items, substitutions made with no permission, and produce that was less than acceptable.

The shoppers were very inconsistent and some apparently did not grasp the directions I was giving. 

I always called Instacart CS and they made adjustments, sometimes having incorrect items re-delivered. 

At the end,it became almost like a "chore" getting my order correctly delivered so I gave up on Instacart completely.

I now hire a local worker where Iive to tote all the groceries upstairs for me and I do the marketing myself.

@pdlinda   I had the same experience.  I was using them and all was good and then one day, the order was not right, I was overcharged by more than $60.  I called and they did not seem to think it was a big deal.  They credited me.  I used them again.  The next time, there was almost $100 discrepancy.  That $212 order cost me over $300.  I called.  I finally got my refund after 7-8 calls but I quit using them after that.  I have had issues with Walmart but not that bad.  So, I started using Walmart pick-up.  I really DO NOT like Walmart but their service, in my area, is much better than Instacart.

Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

How did they ignore you? You got your money back. They may not even be aware of the problem because the shopper could have forgotten it, left it in the car by accident, left it at the store. Mistakes  happen and it's still (at least for me) preferable to doing a large shopping trip myself and I even make mistakes when I do sometimes. I'm just thankful to have this service available now. Gotta take the bad with the good if you can't do it yourself. 

Your post make zero sense. I'm also warning others to double-check their orders thru Instacart.

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@kivah 

I dont think the items on the Instacart App are small---Now I havent used it for Costco, but Ive used it for HEB grocery store, Petco, and CVS.....If items are too small perhaps a tablet or laptop would be a better device to use

I only had a problem once and I clicked HELP and then Problem with your order and then the green box GET  HELP and used CHAT and the situation  was resolved IMMEDIATELY..... If there were substitutions or replacements it takes a couple days to adjust and apply the final total and the credit they gave you....

I use a desktop (have no idea how to use other devices). I indicated not to replace items).and they didn't. It just amazed me how 2 very large items - case of water -- and huge pack of paper towels - were left out - and they charged me for it. The total on-line was over $100 more than the receipt. When I contacted instacart - they didn't answer my question - they did credit me for the 2 missing items. I wanted to know other people's experiences since I never had a problem before with Costco/Instacart. 

Honored Contributor

I never used Instacart with Costco.  I used it shop at grocery stores a few times but I didn't like it.  No problems with charges, I just didn't get my entire order.  I didn't get ha my items and I think it's because the shopper didn't know what he or she was doing.  

Esteemed Contributor

Based on my experience Instacart is only as good as the shopper you get. Some shoppers go out of their way to communicate with you & get you acceptable substitutes. Others could care less. As a result I got poor quality replacements.

Considering Instacart's delivery charges,fees, inflated prices,combined with their hit or miss service I don't think I will be using them anymore. I haven't since June.

I have a Stop & Shop near me .They have their own delivery service.If you order $100 worth of stuff you get free delivery.No other charges apply. I then tip the driver. Easy & not a rip off.

Honored Contributor

I don't like shopping in Costco around the upcoming holidays, so I will resort to using InstaCart again.  I had one bad shopper and the company rectified the problem for me after a few emails.  I had to provide a picture of the item I was not pleased with.  It is an expensive service though.

Honored Contributor

Re: Instacart - Costco

[ Edited ]

@kivah wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

How did they ignore you? You got your money back. They may not even be aware of the problem because the shopper could have forgotten it, left it in the car by accident, left it at the store. Mistakes  happen and it's still (at least for me) preferable to doing a large shopping trip myself and I even make mistakes when I do sometimes. I'm just thankful to have this service available now. Gotta take the bad with the good if you can't do it yourself. 

Your post make zero sense. I'm also warning others to double-check their orders thru Instacart.

@kivah wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

it makes sense alright, it's just not what you wanted to hear. Whatever.