Honored Contributor

Re: Inconsiderate neighbors, do you have one?

Our neighbors love fireworks, and we are as likely to hear them going off in February, as we are in July.   Smart people don’t set fireworks off near things that will catch fire and burn, like woodpiles, outbuildings, and bags of old trash piled up in the yard.   Smart people who have set their tree on fire with fireworks once before, should know better than to keep doing the same stupid things over and over.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop.  I’ve seen you mention these neighbors before. They sound absolutely horrid. So sorry you are stuck with them.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ ,

This second generation is young, irresponsible, and don’t appear to be learning from past mistakes.  

I feel sure there are bags of trash on that property that go back as far as the early 90’s when they first moved in.  I kid you not.   

I started monthly exterminator services about 4 years ago due to spiders, but have had to add multiple bait stations outside my house to try to take care of the many rats coming from the neighbors lot.   

We are so far out in the boonies, there are essentially no rules as to what you can pile up on your property.  You don’t have to mow your grass, or haul off your trash, or worry about how many old cars you have as long as you keep it all within your property line- - which they do.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop. Is sounds like a horror show. Especially with the vermin and all the trash. They must be disgusting people. I hesitate to even call them people. 

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

People just hate HOA's but this is when having one is a good thing.

I agree!  Loud noise early & late at night is not allowed in my community...not to mention shooting guns is simply illegal!

I happen to have GREAT neighbors!  Several years ago when my DH first got sick he neglected the lawn and the weeds were getting bad.  Since we didn't know how expensive his care was going to be we didn't invest in a law service.  My son would come over occasionally to mow.  

One Sunday morning three of my neighbors (from 3 different homes on my cul de sac) came over to trim trees, shrubs, mow & edge for us. (Two of them don't even do their own lawns but have a service!) I never asked them to do this but was so grateful! They are the best!!....unfortunately two of them have moved in the last few years.

@haddon9 .  We don’t have an HOA but we have a town and police force that enforce the rules of the town. We have ordinances. We pay taxes for this.

Yes.  And not all HOA's are effective.  I see complaints here all the time about HOA's that don't enforce rules. 

Town and city ordinances have always been sufficient, in my experience.

Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

People just hate HOA's but this is when having one is a good thing.

I agree!  Loud noise early & late at night is not allowed in my community...not to mention shooting guns is simply illegal!

I happen to have GREAT neighbors!  Several years ago when my DH first got sick he neglected the lawn and the weeds were getting bad.  Since we didn't know how expensive his care was going to be we didn't invest in a law service.  My son would come over occasionally to mow.  

One Sunday morning three of my neighbors (from 3 different homes on my cul de sac) came over to trim trees, shrubs, mow & edge for us. (Two of them don't even do their own lawns but have a service!) I never asked them to do this but was so grateful! They are the best!!....unfortunately two of them have moved in the last few years.

@haddon9 .  We don’t have an HOA but we have a town and police force that enforce the rules of the town. We have ordinances. We pay taxes for this.

Yes.  And not all HOA's are effective.  I see complaints here all the time about HOA's that don't enforce rules. 

Town and city ordinances have always been sufficient, in my experience.

I agree @proudlyfromNJ @NYC Susan.

Honored Contributor

The guy who mows his wet grass at the crack of dawn doesn't thrill us. He feuds with some people on his street so I think it's his way of getting back at them. 

Trusted Contributor

@kittyloo 

@kittyloo wrote:

@Jtdmum wrote:

Oh boy...I've tried to take the high road with my neighbors but I'm at my witts end. 

They took down my tree.  It provided privacy and protection for the embankment to my pool.   It's a horror show.  Happened in January.  They left the mess all over my yard not to mention how much damage this is going to do when the root rots.  It will create sink holes, uneven gardens.  It's just a mess. 

This past Sunday I went to the local big box and picked up some arborvites and was out planting them.  He strolls out like nothing happened.  I lost it, told him to find a good lawyer because he was going to need it.

The next day my (great) neighbor on the other side text's me pictures of him - home from work - cleaning up the mess.   My sister offered to head to my house, grab a lawn chair and an iced coffee and sit and watch him work. (pretty much what he does every weekend while the rest of us try to keep up our homes)

Hope he keeps it up and stays away from me.    

how can the neighbor take down your tree? did he come on your property to remove it? why didn't you call the sherriff?

We don't have any sherriff's here, this is city, not country.  I'm lucky to have a wooded area and lots of trees. The police don't get involved in any type of property disputes and at the time I wasn't home or i assure you it would not have happened. 

The neighbors hired a tree company (some guy he works with part time) to remove trees in the wooded area behind their house.

The tree they removed is a border tree, sits in the woods and is (was) over 150 years, possibly 200 years old.  They told me they were going to remove a branch that was overhanging their property.  That was fine with me.   When they arrived they started on my side of their property.  When I got home it was like a lot clearing took place. They claim it was a "mistake"-  but never apologized or offered to pay to replace. It is now with lawyers.  Even if they could find a hardwood tree to replace the cost would be staggering and the angle this tree was in would be dangerous and near impossible to plant. 

Trusted Contributor

I have a neighbor whose granddaughter comes here and screams at the top of her lungs (it’s one of those screams that sets of car alarms and even your fur baby can’t handle it). She just screams. Yesterday (Mother’s Day), my other neighbors all went inside to get away from it. It was a warm (for up here) day and everyone was just hangin’ out on their decks/patios and this little girl drove everyone inside. It really is that bad.

This child does this every single time she comes to visit her grandparents.

Trusted Contributor

We live out in the country on 30 acres and love it!  There are farms on each side of us and to this day never a problem with the neighbors.  That is why we built our home dead center in the middle of the acreage.  

Sorry for you about the noise and am not sure exactly what can be done for itif you liv eout in the country.  Anyone who has  party at that time of the moring has to be nuts.