Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

Just because it isn't illegal doesn't make it right. I would find a tall metal structure like that pretty annoying, but I wouldn't say anything either. I'd just privately vent.

We have pretty great neighbors for the most part, thankfully. The only issue I really have is with one family who parks a ton of commercial vehicles in the road 24/7, which blocks the view of traffic, making it a dangerous situation because we have tons of kid in our neighborhood who play outside.

@JJsMom, you might check with your city about their regulations regarding your issue.

I also have a next door neighbor who recently changed jobs and now has a very large "company vehicle" as does his buddy, and they both park in front of his house, one with a trailer attached.  The buddy parks so close to my driveway that it's been a big maneuver to get out every morning, not to mention blocking my view of traffic.  I mentioned it to my neighbor and now he's leaving more room and actually parkins his large vehicle in his driveway (I don't know why he didn't park in his driveway before).

It's so much better to resolve things with the neighbors themselves, but it's not always possible and yeah, then you have to see what is legal and what isn't and go from there.

I agree, @QueenDanceALot , especially when it's a situation limited to you and your neighbor. But @JJsMom' problem affects the whole street. If it's against regulations, the neighbor would most likely be ticketed and never know who called. I sort of like that anonymity.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Re: Inconsiderate Neighbors

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I wonder if the OP's neighbor did something truly egregious like paint their mailbox red.

@QueenDanceALot  If you are really all that curious, just read the thread. 

@Georgiagrama 

I did read the thread, right up until the time I posted.  You hadn't clarified by that time.

I can undestand not wanting to see that large metal structure beyond your fence.  I doubt I'd much care for that either. 

But prior to the structure being built you say that there were cars, tractors, trailers, 4 wheelers, motorcycles, AND all manner of farm equipment in their yard.  Was that not a giant eyesore already?  You can't hide all that on a quarter acre.

@QueenDanceALot   Yes - all sorts of cars,campers, farm equipment.  They put up a privacy fence on 3 sides of their property, but not our side, although we had a chain link fence. It took us 3 years to save for this privacy fence. They aren't cheap. We've only had it two months. I guess he figured since we couldn't see his things anymore, he'd give us something we could see.  On a small 1/4 acre lot, there isn't much you can miss. 

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

If possible, I would put in some trees.

And you know, I get it. All the area around your home feels like it is yours. When I look out my window, that's MY view. And I'm used to it. When someone does something they have every right to do, but that changes MY view, it is really irritating. And we have every right to be irritated that something we consider OURS is suddenly changed without our consent or buy in. I sympathize with your vent.

This is true. Just as I paid my house off , my next door neighbor opened a full blown childcare facility for up to 60 children. It was okayed by zoning, and nothing anyone can do about it. You learn to deal with screaming kids and traffic.

Honored Contributor

I believe in being a good steward but to be obsessive over an inanimate object is ridiculous.   The only thing that gets on my nerves is anything very loud after quiet time.  But we can call 911 for that.

I tolerate almost everything else.  

I understand about home values, but you can't take it with you.

Enjoy your life, don't obsess

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Pook wrote:

Why post just to vent if you don't expect others to weigh in?  Just start journaling your vents and don't involve others.

ere unless you - just use a journal to get it out

She has my permission to *journal* here. : )

@Lucky Charm   Thank you.  But I seem to have upset @Pook to no end, so I'll try not to post a vent in the future. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry your neighbor did something you feel is inconsiderate. Even so, I do not like living with an HOA anymore. Be careful what you wish for.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I know, I'm really aesthetically driven.  A rambler next door was razed and a house about 5x it's size has been built next to me, complete with second story peaks and gables and windows.  (The lot is perpendicular to the back half of my back yard, so they face it from their back.)

The 8' stockade fence does little to prevent the gaze downward.  I have a lovely yard which the new resident will fully enjoy.  My comfort remains they have no sliders on the upper level, so presumably no deck.

I confess to some fantasies about misbehaving over here so they don't even want to look!

@Sweetbay magnolia   Sounds familiar....my neighborhood is undergoing tear-down syndrome with elites moving into these $1.5M+ houses which are as you describe and take up the entire postage-stamp lot!  Ruins it for the original 1 & 2-story brick cottages when this neighborhood was developed in late 40's, early 50's as post-war homes!  Unfortunately, with the change in houses, so goes the change in neighborhood and neighborliness....it seems to have disappeared!  No doubt the sq footage is 5-6 times more than my 1 story cottage. If I look out my side window and neighbors blinds open, I can see them entertaining and what they are eating.... County approves all this residential development, humongeous property taxes!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

OP, there's a good chance there's an easement on your neighbor's property and on your property. You can call your county to find out. Your neighbor could be blocking the easement. 

Respected Contributor

@nun ya Oh, I know what you mean.  Seems the bottom falls out the minute you send that last mortgage payment.

In my case, a neighbor bought a food truck and turned his home into the kitchen. All hours of the day and night, the backyard cauldron is boiling and the BBQ pit is smoking.  The truck stays in his driveway (an eyesore) when not out at the local military base he caters to. 

Neighbors banded together and sued for it to stop.  Guess who won?  He did!  And the city did nothing to back up the residents here.  

I have had nothing but problems in this hood. The only plus is NO mortgage payments.  

Respected Contributor

@BlueFinch @nun ya 

I guess the sad part is that you live in your home and by the  time it's paid for you are older (or at least we are) and you are hoping to finally get to enjoy what you've worked for all these years. 

At this stage of our lives, we are too old to move and can't afford the newer, larger homes being built in our area.  

After ready your posts, things could be worse.