Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

In our area you wouldn’t be allowed to put a structure so close to the property line. It has to be a certain distance away. Although with a big metal structure, I guess you would see it no matter how far away.

@proudlyfromNJ   Ours either...I think it has to be either 10 or 15 feet.  The HOA would never allow it anyway.

Respected Contributor

Just because it isn't illegal doesn't make it right. I would find a tall metal structure like that pretty annoying, but I wouldn't say anything either. I'd just privately vent.

We have pretty great neighbors for the most part, thankfully. The only issue I really have is with one family who parks a ton of commercial vehicles in the road 24/7, which blocks the view of traffic, making it a dangerous situation because we have tons of kid in our neighborhood who play outside.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote: 

I have tried to follow this but I am not sure we know what horrible thing the neighbor did do we?

@I am still oxox   We do.  The OP returned and told us that their neighbor placed an "enormous metal building" in their yard up against the OP's fence which is all that she could see when in her backyard.  

And the neighbor has had to look at OP's fence up against their property so that's ok??

A fence is a reasonably typical thing to have around one's yard. What amounts to an oversize Quonset hut in a residential neighborhood isn't. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Re: Inconsiderate Neighbors

[ Edited ]

@pigletsmom wrote:

Now that we know what it is it sounds like something that would stop bothering you after a while, you'd just get used to it. But if it is that troubling I'd just put a pretty tall trellis over there and get some ivy or morning glory and voila. I mean if you were actualy just looking to buy this place and you loved it would it stop you from purchasing? It probably wont stop anyone else either.

@pigletsmom   Actually, it would.  We have a very nice pool area and keep our yard immaculate.  The metal, very industrial farm type building is actually as tall as my neighbors home. It looms largely over our very costly 8 Ft. Privacy fence.   I'm thinking that they did not consult the building codes in our area, and they certainly did not check with the HOA.   It's possible that one or the other will step in. 

And yes, I will eventually "get used to it" I'm sure, but, we worked hard for years to improve and pay for our home. Unless you live in a low rent district to begin with, you do hope for a nice return on your investment.  Our neighborhood, at one time, did not allow metal buildings at all, then, they started allowing the small shed types, provided you had a privacy fence.  Then they started getting bigger, 10 x 20 size, now we have one large enough for a cotton gin that I get to look at while I enjoy breakfast seated next to my large bay window .. Perception is everything I guess.  Hopefully, if we ever have to sell our home, we can find a buyer who appreciates industrial buildings.    

Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Well it is private property, would think they could do what they want without consulting you for approval.  As long as no law were broken.

@CrazyDaisy   No where in my post did I suggest that any law was broken or that they had to consult me, their long time neighbor for permission.  

What I did say was that I was disappointed that they chose to make a decision that could very well devalue the property value of my home and the homes around them.

Would like to know how you determined that your neighbor putting up an out building has devalued your property value.  In fact it has probably increased his properties value and be proximity yours.  You just don't like looking at it, It has nothing to do with property values, be honest.

@CrazyDaisy   How could it not?  Seriously I can't see how adding "an enourmous metal building" would look attractive on a 1/4 acre lot.  According to the OP, it's all she can see in her yard, like being right there in your face!  Since it's only 1/4 acre that means the backyard is even smaller...everyone has a small yard and the building takes up a good part of it.  Frankly HOA or no HOA I'm surprised zoning has allowed it.

As a matter of fact, I haven never seen a metal building look attractive at all so yes an ugly building large enough to store all of those items that the neighbor is collecting will look unattractive and bring down their neighbor's property values.  It's not as if they added a cute cottage...it's one of those cheap ugly metal prefab buildings.

If that were my neighbor and "friend" I would be furious....and an HOA wouldn't allow that .  Our HOA is faily easy going but even they don't allow cute wooden sheds which is something we would have purchased years ago but we made do without it.

SO exactly is the size of this building, must have met building codes.  Frankly you have no idea what size, what it looks like or anything else about the community.  Out buildings do not decrease property values, this has nothing to do with property values.  OP is just complaining because SHE does not want to look at it.  That seems selfish, they have no say in what she does to her property and they have to look at that.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It never ceases to amaze me on these boards when some folks take a stance and then feel they have to defend it to the bitter end, regardless of intervening facts that come to light. Really, it's all right to revise one's original opinion when it becomes clear that situations are not what they originally seemed to be. It doesn't make one look foolish to do so. On the contrary...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

If I were house hunting and looked at a beautiful home with a nice yard and gorgeous in ground pool, I would care what else surrounds me.  

So if neighbor's homes are in disrepair, their yards neglected, junk left out in the open, trash, whatever, I'd walk away and say 'what a shame, that was such a nice house'.

If this were to happen to me, I'd check to make sure everything was up to code, permits issued, etc.  This structure may not be allowed. 

The town I live in, they don't give one inch tolerance, they will make you take down a structure/re-build, till you are in compliance.

If this is something that would be allowed, I would plant a row of tall cypress trees to totally block the view.  For me and potential buyers when I sell.  

Thankfully, OP, there are many posters here who would still consider your property and aren't turned off by this structure.

I am not one of them, though.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me on these boards when some folks take a stance and then feel they have to defend it to the bitter end, regardless of intervening facts that come to light. Really, it's all right to revise one's original opinion when it becomes clear that situations are not what they originally seemed to be. It doesn't make one look foolish to do so. On the contrary...

Guilty!

Backing away.....Woman Very Happy

But I may take that back....Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RoughDraft wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I love living in an HOA community.  Each spring, a group of “ neighbors” walk through the entire neighborhood which is huge and make notes about homes with things needing fixing to meet HOA standards.  I KNOW that both my neighbors on each side of me fixed up their homes because the HOA sent them letters.  They both had really let their homes and yards go to HE**.  I never said anything to them as they are such nice people, but it did bother me to keep my home nice....and their homes were in such a neglected  fashion.  Because of the HOA, They both painted....made repairs and even have a gardener come to tend to their yards each month. How nice! I think sometimes people just do not SEE the mess or the things needing repair until it is shown to them.  

The one neighbor still hides junk behind his house...furniture, old refrigeratir...two old junk cars......trash.... but I do not see it  as I put up a 6 foot fence and it is not street visible. He should get rid of it, but, probably just does not even think about all the ****** back there.  He is old....I figure when he dies it will hopefully get cleaned up.....

My property was picked as a star property.... I was sent a letter from the HOA  the last  two years.  It is sent to those that keep up their properties.  It made me feel good. 

Not necessary, but it is nice that they do it🙂 I think it makes people want to CARE. 

I guess the moral this story is don't get old.  

@RoughDraft    Old people own homes.  I am old and own a home......... and if you can not do the yard work yourself  or find someone to help you for free... .... or you can not afford  to pay someone to keep up your yard... or  if you can not afford to keep up the upkeep of owning a home which is EXPENSIVE.... then it is time to sell and move into a place where all of that is done for you.

Just being OLD is not a pass to let your home become a mess.   There are stages in life where you have to do things to accomodate   your life....  facing reality. Problem is that old people seem to not want to face REALITY...   

Respected Contributor

It's called a pole building