Esteemed Contributor

It’s disappointing to have neighbors do things that can affect property values, especially ones that you’re close to. I don’t think the details matter. Many of us have experienced problems and know the feeling.

We live in a neighborhood with an HOA. It works well for the most part. However, problems arise when neighbors don’t comply with the rules. The HOA must decide how far it will go to enforce the rules, such as hiring an attorney, which will cost all of us. I think some people take advantage of that.

Honored Contributor

It's ridiculous to expect anyone to think about the property value of anyone else.  Everyone should be able to choose how they want their own property to look to suit only them!!!   

Esteemed Contributor

I don’t care for HOAs myself but some people can’t follow rules and shouldn’t be in one.  Even municipal ordinances are violated by some where there’s no HOA.  I’ve seen all kinds of violations in both situations.  These types are usually repeat offenders too.  

Honored Contributor

@Georgiagrama ........you do not have to justify your feelings to anyone, especially here on these boards.  Sorry you took such a beating and sorry about your inconsiderate neighbor.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Well it is private property, would think they could do what they want without consulting you for approval.  As long as no law were broken.

@CrazyDaisy   No where in my post did I suggest that any law was broken or that they had to consult me, their long time neighbor for permission.  

What I did say was that I was disappointed that they chose to make a decision that could very well devalue the property value of my home and the homes around them.

Would like to know how you determined that your neighbor putting up an out building has devalued your property value.  In fact it has probably increased his properties value and be proximity yours.  You just don't like looking at it, It has nothing to do with property values, be honest.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

Re: Inconsiderate Neighbors

[ Edited ]

Someone from zoning obviously approved the metal building. If he's putting his collectibles in there, it's better than stuff sitting out in the yard. 

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't be happy either, if I were you. 

What surrounds our property and can been seen from our windows is very much a part of our everyday life.

You don't have to have million dollar views, but still seeing something nice compared to a junkyard---is worth a million dollars, to me.

Some people don't care what they see when they look out their windows.  And they don't care what condition their neighbor's home and yards look like.  That is fine, if stuff like that doesn't bother them.

Perhaps you could plant a row of arborvitae?  They make such a nice *green* privacy fence.  It will take a while for them to get high enough to completely block out the ugly bldg.  But you can buy them pretty tall to begin with.  Knowing that the view of the bldg isn't forever---is a start.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Well it is private property, would think they could do what they want without consulting you for approval.  As long as no law were broken.

@CrazyDaisy   No where in my post did I suggest that any law was broken or that they had to consult me, their long time neighbor for permission.  

What I did say was that I was disappointed that they chose to make a decision that could very well devalue the property value of my home and the homes around them.

Would like to know how you determined that your neighbor putting up an out building has devalued your property value.  In fact it has probably increased his properties value and be proximity yours.  You just don't like looking at it, It has nothing to do with property values, be honest.

@CrazyDaisy   How could it not?  Seriously I can't see how adding "an enourmous metal building" would look attractive on a 1/4 acre lot.  According to the OP, it's all she can see in her yard, like being right there in your face!  Since it's only 1/4 acre that means the backyard is even smaller...everyone has a small yard and the building takes up a good part of it.  Frankly HOA or no HOA I'm surprised zoning has allowed it.

As a matter of fact, I haven never seen a metal building look attractive at all so yes an ugly building large enough to store all of those items that the neighbor is collecting will look unattractive and bring down their neighbor's property values.  It's not as if they added a cute cottage...it's one of those cheap ugly metal prefab buildings.

If that were my neighbor and "friend" I would be furious....and an HOA wouldn't allow that .  Our HOA is faily easy going but even they don't allow cute wooden sheds which is something we would have purchased years ago but we made do without it.

Honored Contributor

I have tried to follow this but I am not sure we know what horrible thing the neighbor did do we?

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: Inconsiderate Neighbors

[ Edited ]

@Georgiagrama   Holy cow-if a poster starts a thread without details about an issue, it is only natural for others to wonder what the issue is about and respond accordingly.

You posted and then left for a considerable amount of time, which leaves others wondering not only what the issue is about but also feeling as though their responses didn't matter.

Did you really expect others not to question what this was all about?

You opened the door, posters stepped in, and how everyone responds isn't meant to diminish you but to ask questions.

I was under no obligation to share any personal experience about my neighbors, either.  You are assuming something about me while saying I am assuming something about you. 

I really don't know what you expected and at this point it doesn't matter.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh