Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I love living in an HOA community.  Each spring, a group of “ neighbors” walk through the entire neighborhood which is huge and make notes about homes with things needing fixing to meet HOA standards.  I KNOW that both my neighbors on each side of me fixed up their homes because the HOA sent them letters.  They both had really let their homes and yards go to HE**.  I never said anything to them as they are such nice people, but it did bother me to keep my home nice....and their homes were in such a neglected  fashion.  Because of the HOA, They both painted....made repairs and even have a gardener come to tend to their yards each month. How nice! I think sometimes people just do not SEE the mess or the things needing repair until it is shown to them.  

The one neighbor still hides junk behind his house...furniture, old refrigeratir...two old junk cars......trash.... but I do not see it  as I put up a 6 foot fence and it is not street visible. He should get rid of it, but, probably just does not even think about all the ****** back there.  He is old....I figure when he dies it will hopefully get cleaned up.....

My property was picked as a star property.... I was sent a letter from the HOA  the last  two years.  It is sent to those that keep up their properties.  It made me feel good. 

Not necessary, but it is nice that they do it🙂 I think it makes people want to CARE. 

I guess the moral this story is don't get old.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

And not every non-HOA community is replete with trashy properties, nor is every community governed by an HOA picture perfect.  I pay my taxes like the next man but boy am I happy I have no HOA dues to pay. 

@Sweetbay magnolia   I pay $175.00 a year. Well worth it.
Valued Contributor

I live in between 2 inconsiderate neighbors one worse than the other.  The one put up a high privacy fence.  That's fine, however, she never asked us if she could tear down part of our fence to do it.. She also had this fly-by-night company do it and not only is the fence crooked but it's over our property line.  Well, she got her privacy alright  Shortly after, her house was robbed because her fence blocked the entire back of her home.  I have another neighbor whose trees  were growing  over our property and damaging our  roof.  He was asked many times and did nothing.  Well, I took matters into my own hands.  I took pictures and did some research and found the city and county ordinances in my town.  I also filed a complaint with the city and boom, they came out  and  he was forced to trim his trees.  So if you have a jerk neighbor, don't allow them to intimidate you.  Don't also let them say you can trim it yourself.  Find out your property rights in your area. Take pictures also and keep records.  You'd be surprised that there are some favorable laws and regulations out there.

Honored Contributor

Re: Inconsiderate Neighbors

[ Edited ]

My HOA fee is $145.00 a quarter which is $580.00 a year or $48.33 a month.  For that we get a clubhouse with pool, kiddie pool, playground, tennis courts, a baseball field, sand volleyball, walking trails and common areas with landscaping.  There is also a web site with newsletter to know what is going on in the community.

We still have to take care of our own properties and snow removal.

Respected Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I don’t think she was looking for advice, she just said she needed to vent and is under no obligation to answer questions.

Speaking of bad neighbors, when we when lived in a duplex, our neighbors operated an illegal wood chipping business and ran that thing night and day.  I called the authorities. 

@GenXmuse  Thank you.  No, I wasn't looking for advice. What my neighbors did, they are perfectly within their rights to do so. It just so happens that it is an enormous metal building that is so tall it's all you can see when you walk out my back door.  The lots in our neighborhood are only 1/4 acre lots and our friend collects, cars, tractors, trailers, 4 wheelers, motorcycles, anything and everything he can find that has to do with farm equipment.  We have never said a thing. We just recently had a very expensive privacy fence installed so he could collect all he wanted without us having to see it when we were sitting around our pool, or, that any potential buyer would not be turned off. Our back yard and inground pool are quite nice.   Today, right up against and in the  middle of the fence, this giant storage  building appeared.  Like I said, these are 1/4 acre lots. 

I love these neighbors and they are good people.  What is done cannot be undone, but I would have never done it to them. I would have placed the building more to the back and the center of the property . 

Like I said in my initial post, I just needed to vent simply because we try so hard to keep our place attractive.   

Respected Contributor

We are tossing around the idea that at some point soon we’ll move into a smaller place on a smaller lot. But the problems mentioned here concern me. I love our location and home. We have privacy on our 10 acres with only one neighbor whose house is visible and she keeps to herself. We have a lot of upkeep: weeding, mowing, etc.  I’m getting tired of the work but I don’t want neighbor problems either. 

Respected Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

We are tossing around the idea that at some point soon we’ll move into a smaller place on a smaller lot. But the problems mentioned here concern me. I love our location and home. We have privacy on our 10 acres with only one neighbor whose house is visible and she keeps to herself. We have a lot of upkeep: weeding, mowing, etc.  I’m getting tired of the work but I don’t want neighbor problems either. 

@Kalli 

I envy you.  We moved here initially when I started working.  My oldest daughter was in college and we needed the extra income. At the time, we lived on a farm with plenty of acreage. My youngest was 11 and she would have had to walk home from the bus down a long, dirt, deserted country road. The neighborhood we moved to was new and there were other children and people were always home.   We went from 100 acres to 1/4 acre.  

Even though we are older and unable to care for that much acreage, I sure miss the privacy.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Every HOA is different. Some are nit-picky (regulating the circumference of the pumpkins you can put on your porch,etc) while others ignore some things that most find offensive, like cars parked in front yards or home exteriors not maintained....I hope you find your new HOA to be great! We backed out of a contract to purchase a home after learning of the binding HOA covenant. No holiday lights in windows, no visible curtains in windows other than white or beige, trash containers could only be out for certain hours and had to be put back out of sight almost immediately after trash pickup ( which varied, so how do you do that if you are at work?). Only two cars visible per home, etc.

The kicker was the trim on your house could only be one of four colors...the color samples were kept at the HOA president’s home, and you had to see him so he could approve the color before the job was done...we lost our deposit but it was worth it!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pook wrote:

@Georgiagrama  What anyone does to their own property - as long as it doesn't go against local codes - is their own business and while a neighbor may not like it, it doesn't make them inconsiderate.  It actually is more inconsiderate and judgemental to think you have a right to dictate what they do! 

@Pook @Cakers3 

There is not one word of my post that even suggests that I assume the right to dictate  what my neighbors do.   I merely expressed disappointment in their actions.  Much as I am expressing disappointment in your unkind post. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Well it is private property, would think they could do what they want without consulting you for approval.  As long as no law were broken.

@CrazyDaisy   No where in my post did I suggest that any law was broken or that they had to consult me, their long time neighbor for permission.  

What I did say was that I was disappointed that they chose to make a decision that could very well devalue the property value of my home and the homes around them.