Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I have no idea why they are inconsiderate, I have one that:

Has junk cars and machinary, old tires all over his property,

Has a bunch of dogs that run loose, I chased 6, yes 6, out of my yard several times a week,

His huge bull, horns included, comes into my yard,

Likes to shoot guns at 11 at night,

Sells hay and will have an 18 wheeler parked across from our house late at night w/motor running while they load it.

So, is this the original problem mentioned?  It comes across as other issues you have with possibly another neighbor.  If your neighbor has a bull, I have to believe you don't live in a city subdivision.  If you live in the county vs city the laws are much more lax.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Inconsiderate Neighbors

[ Edited ]

I used to hate the idea of an HOA until the house next to me in my last location was not only an eyesore but stuff everywhere and the smells emanating from it was horrible.  It was a non-HOA community.  

Learned then that you can complain all you want to local government but these idiots often get multiple chances before the country does anything about it.  I'm in an HOA community now and it's pretty lax/lenient.  From what I've seen they are reasonable and don't sweat the small stuff but would come after you if you painted your house purple or some other truly offensive thing.

Valued Contributor

We have a neighbor that has turned his backyard into a dump with all kinds of clutter. We just planted large shrubs to block it and live with it. Life is too short to have hostility. We are friendly with him and give his dog treats. Although one time my husband told him that Fred Sanford (Sanford & Son with Redd Fox) would like his yard.

Honored Contributor

We woke up one morning to see an 18 wheeler parked on the neighbors front lawn. Don’t even know how they got it there. This is a small suburban heavily treed neighborhood. It left after a week but came back the next month. 

Someone called the police this time. The truck never came back.

Respected Contributor

I'm in a very large HOA and I have no complaints at all.  Love 'em or hate 'em, they do serve a purpose.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

Now I have to wonder if they painted their house hot pink, built a moat filled with alligators, erected a still in the back yard.  I have a very active imagination.  Woman LOL

Sounds like that could be a fun neighbor.

Yeah! I'd hang out over there.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@ Katchina624   It's one award I wish I didn't have.  He's a doozy.  If I could get rid of him and have the 2 neighbors below him next to me I would love it.  They are wonderful, but I don't see him leaving in my lifetime.

Calling anyone in charge is useless.  Everyone is afraid of him.  He's armed to the teeth and he's a mean tempered loon.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I have no idea why they are inconsiderate, I have one that:

Has junk cars and machinary, old tires all over his property,

Has a bunch of dogs that run loose, I chased 6, yes 6, out of my yard several times a week,

His huge bull, horns included, comes into my yard,

Likes to shoot guns at 11 at night,

Sells hay and will have an 18 wheeler parked across from our house late at night w/motor running while they load it.

ETA: There are 2 different Retired nicknames here. Just in case I'm not the only one who mixes this sort of thing up. 

Sounds like a larger property out in the country if they have room to grow hay. A few of my relatives live out in the country too and they have a very motley crew of neighbors. Most great or at least they keep to themselves, one or two verging on cocoa puffs kookoo. Best to stay on the good side of them as much as possible, even though they don't do the same for you.

With the old tires, you can complain to the city or county or whatever applies if they could be breeding ground for mosquitos. It also sounds like they may not be tending to their fences well enough if a bull keeps getting out. There may be people you can contact about that too.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@Georgiagrama Yes, contrary to complaint of many re: HOAs, they have their place since we have to coexist with others.  My mom's HOA is fabulous.  They are strict, but very reasonable.  Young folks started a garage band across the street from her. She said her walls were literally pounding.  She called the hood representative and it was shut down in 24 hours.

I can only wish I had the same in my aging neighborhood.  It's a small unincorporated city, in the middle of a much larger one.  You're on your own.

My neighbor lost his job and for almost ten years, he did  nothing for his home but drink beer and try to destroy it.  He didn't pay for trash and stacked it up in the backyard inviting rats and other creatures. My yard became a zoo, too, including poisonous snakes, likely after the rats.  He vacated the home and it languished for another year.

I called city code folks repeatedly and they did nothing.  It wasn't until I noticed the back slider open one evening (thinking vandalism) and I called the police, that something was done.  It apparently was one of the most deplorable situations they had seen. It probably scared off whomever tried to enter.   

The home was finally auctioned off and basically rebuilt from foundation up.  It's really a beautiful restoration.  The city let me live like this for all those years.  Not only did it ruin property value of close homes, but it was a health risk. I was no one; I had no voice.  An HOA would have had a fit.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Georgiagrama wrote:

I know this has been discussed before, but I have a neighbor who we thought so much of do something really inconsiderate today. 

They did something without any thought to property values of the neighbors around them or like me, next to them. 

Things like this always make me sad so I just needed to vent.  I guess living in a neighborhood with a strict HOA isn't such a bad idea. 

@Georgiagrama 

Even if your neighborhood doesn't have an HOA call your local city government or county or check their website that usually has a list of city/county ordinances.....For example in our city folks have been called 311 on neighbors that failed to maintain their yard and grass and weeds have taken over....or parking cars on the grass......homes in desperate need of repair......trash all over...people not picking up their dog's waste.....etc etc etc....these stories also appeared on our local news....There was even a subdivision that objected to a neighbor that painted her house purple....

If your afraid of him then it looks like your only alternative would be to move.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”