Honored Contributor

Re: Income tax woes

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:

@JaneMarple@We do our own taxes and the problem is that we pay in two countries.we have been doing this for 18 years and this time is the first time there is a mixup at the tax dept.They have two separate dept working on our type of payment and one somehow got ahead of the other is the best I can explain it.

Perhaps @dex you can print out your documents at home and then send them overnight to the tax offices that need them. I know it's pricey but it will give you peace of mind that no one sees your important information.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

I think that is a great suggestion @JaneMarple

My other thoughts would be:

1)  Do you have children/friends/neighbors you trust who are employed?  Most offices Still have fax machines.  You could have them do it for you from their office.  I fax stuff for the guys here at work all the time...free too!  LOL

2)  Places such as Office Depot/Staples etc are faxing the documents right in front of you.  You can clearly see they are not paying the least bit of attention to what the docs say.  You can watch their every move.  Some locations...you actually fax the docs yourself.

3)  To my knowledge, fax machines do not copy the documents as they are faxing them.  NO replicas remain 'inside' the machine that could be retrieved later to get your personal info.

I know for a fact that the IRS and State Tax departments do NOT EVER accept emails, especially with attachments....just in case someone was thinking you could scan and email the documents.

Best of luck to you in this!  I wouldn't want to trade places with you.

Honored Contributor

@dexAnd please be positive the address to which you've been asked to send this info is a legitimate IRS address and not the address of a pretender!

I thought all the personal info was already available on any form you already sent in. 

Honored Contributor

I use an online company called Faxage, never had any problem with sensitive information.

Respected Contributor

Overnite them via FEDEX.  Don't mess with a fax machine.  Never secure.  

In the future you might want to consider a tax accountant.  You'll have peace of mind and someone to take care of these kinds of problems.  Well worth the money.

Esteemed Contributor

Does your printer have fax capability?

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@JaneMarple@We do our own taxes and the problem is that we pay in two countries.we have been doing this for 18 years and this time is the first time there is a mixup at the tax dept.They have two separate dept working on our type of payment and one somehow got ahead of the other is the best I can explain it.

If you pay taxes in two different countries, I think you need to have a professional tax preparer involved.  

Valued Contributor

Good luck.  Once you are on the "list" you seem to be there forever.  27 years and counting.  We have been paying them this time, every single month since December and have no statement.  We call everysingleweek and all they keep saying is "We send you a statement every month" and threaten us if we stop paying.  Seriously looking into an attorney.

When we ask why we owe, they say because we said you do.  I personally think they are trying to figure out a way to charge us for inheritance tax.  My inheritance was waaaayyyyyy under the 250 grand that my state requires for taxes.

We do pay directly to them and we are certain it is the real IRS.

Honored Contributor

I was responsible for fax systems for a Fortune 500 company for many years.  No matter where you send a fax, it travels via public telephone lines/systems.  I would suggest calling to be sure it was received the day after you send it. 

Honored Contributor

@dex...DH and I own a small business....we offer fax service....not advertised but people call and ask if we can fax for them.    Customers come in with their paperwork and we fax it right in front of the customer and hand it back....we rarely see what we are faxing....