Honored Contributor

Re: In area which flooded badly. Need advice.

Just a little input from my experiences.

Consider what your deductible is, and what replacement is going to cost before you file a claim.

It may not be worth the ding on your insurance, and you might want to pay for it yourself. I called my insurance company twice in one year for information about damages we had, and never did actually file a claim or get a single dollar, but my rates went up and when I called around to look for another company, I was told I was uninsurable. I was dumbfounded. I have to assume both were in response to my inquiries and opening a claim that never was filed.

If there was enough water to get the carpet wet, are you sure the walls are ok? Check that before you commit to anything one way or the other.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Water damage is one of the WORST - definitely replace the carpet. Also, ur walls need to be inspected by the insurance co. for MOLD. Like someone on here said - the slab needs to be dry before installing the padding/carpet. I dealt with this 3-1/2 yrs ago when water from the outside pipe flowed into my downstairs bathroom, bedroom, laundry room and family room. Several walls had to be cut from the floor - up a couple of feet. I had a Restoration Co. do the work - and if u don't know who to call, get a referral from the insurance company. The first plumber I called didn't have a clue. This is major work - and I was completely traumatized. A plumber told me that plants clogged the drain pipe in my front yard - but my gardener said he didn't that was the problem. We do have bad sewers here - so that might be it.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu

i made national news in 2007 because of a severe flood. Had 14 inches of water in the house. Everything had to be replaced. I was told by contractors that even a little bit of water causes problems and that the walls, carpeting, anything that the water touched needed to he replaced. Flood water is NOT clean or sanitary. You have no idea what could have absorbed into your carpet. It's expensive, but it's also safest to replace it. I wish you all the best in your recovery and I'm thankful you didn't experience a worse event. I still have nightmares about my flood, it's just one of those horrible things that sticks in your mind forever. 

Honored Contributor

A flood from rising water is not covered under your homeowner insurance.  You need a separate policy for that.

A flood from a broken pipe would be covered under the homeowner policy.

Whether it's covered or not, I would take it all up and have it replaced.

Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

Water damage is one of the WORST - definitely replace the carpet. Also, ur walls need to be inspected by the insurance co. for MOLD. Like someone on here said - the slab needs to be dry before installing the padding/carpet. I dealt with this 3-1/2 yrs ago when water from the outside pipe flowed into my downstairs bathroom, bedroom, laundry room and family room. Several walls had to be cut from the floor - up a couple of feet. I had a Restoration Co. do the work - and if u don't know who to call, get a referral from the insurance company. The first plumber I called didn't have a clue. This is major work - and I was completely traumatized. A plumber told me that plants clogged the drain pipe in my front yard - but my gardener said he didn't that was the problem. We do have bad sewers here - so that might be it.

@kivah - it doesn't have to be plants.  It could also be tree roots that clogged the drain, even tree roots from a neighbors property will find their way into the pipe.  Had it happen here.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter

Any kind of roots.

Cost me $3,000 and the insurance company $4,000.

There's a class action suit agains the builder of my tract which is 17 yrs old) - cheap plumbing, etc. It's been going on for 4 years - and there was a decision recently. I'll be collecting minimum $5,000 (the law firm didn't state the total amount in the letter I received). I also had a pipe burst in the wall between my laundry room and garage. Fortunately, some water went into the garage - not in my house. The plumber installed copper piping - cost me $1,600.

The builder was John Laing -- they built many houses in California. With all their lawsuits, they sold to a company in Qatar - middle east. 

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with the other posters.....replace the carpet...don't take a chance with mold...