Esteemed Contributor

Ikea is currently running a television ad where the shopper checks her receipt and runs from the store toward a car yelling to the driver start the car, start the car, gets in and they quickly drive off.

The clear implication is that the shopper felt she had been undercharged and was getting away with something.

Although I believe the ad was meant to be humorous even with the disclaimers I find this type of ad appalling for the lesson it teaches.

IMO a better approach would be for the shopper to be honest and question the total and be told it is accurate because of Ikea's big sale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C7oqXewyCE

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I get that. I saw something on yesterday and it showed how this guy broke into a chained up place. Illegal entry, I thought, yes, that's right, show them right on t.v. how to break the law. Granted it may not be new, but I'm so tired of things being taught on t.v.or on line that's illegal. It's not new, this started years and years ago.

New Contributor

This is one of my favorite commercials - I truly laugh out loud.  I was thrilled to see it back this year.  That "Start the car!" woman is hilarious. 'Such a clever idea. 

Esteemed Contributor

While I can see your point, I believe you may be reading to much into it.  First I really don't think people pay all that much attention to commercials.  And second if a person knows the difference between right and wrong they will take it as a humorous ad as you suspect.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

While I can understand the OP's sentiments as I am one of those who would complain if I had been undercharged for something, I think in this case, it is just a humorous commercial.

Ads arenot reality.  They stimulate interest in a product and conversation.  This one is doing its job.  This commercial in no way represents reality any more than mother nature showing up when yuou eat margarine, sometime telling you not to squeeze the toilet tissue, or a cartoon tucan flying through the air when you eat cereal.

It's funny.  Relax.

Respected Contributor

Think you're missing the point.  It's just a commercial.  I don't think they are encouraging any bad behavior. 

Trusted Contributor

I've always loved that commercial!  She does a great job.  Obviously it works, as we're posting about it!

Trusted Contributor

I absolutely HATE that commercial and wish it would not have been resurected. It's the woman's screaming that I don't like. I don't feel any illegality overtones, just a happy customer that feels the prices were so low she got a "steal" on items but I just can't stand the scream. I hit mute in a split second.

New Contributor

Marp:  I agree with you completely, in fact, I have posted my complaint about this commercial on another site too.  I read the other positions on this site, and although I agree we don't need to take commercials too seriously, but I think it is important that we don't become to cavalier about about what we are exposed to, especially knowing that children are watching these kind of commercials right along with us. In other words, this commercial with the message that it is OK to keep what does not rightly belong to you, as long as you can get away with it, is not going to influence my choices, but maybe it will influence the young person who is watching the same commercial somewhere across town.  There are so many other ways to use humor to depict the 'funny' parts of life, without moral compromises, to promote products; in fact it is done all the time.

Honored Contributor

I saw this ad for the first time a few days ago. I thought it was funny.  The woman was just very excited to find she had saved a lot of money...was hoping it wasn't a mistake!

I wish that would happen to me!