Respected Contributor

If you were on a game show...

I just finished watching LMAD and after watching a contestant playing one of the games I thought of this question.   If you had a small chance of winning a big prize and you were offered $2000 to quit and take the money or continue playing knowing that the chances of winning were small, what would you do?  

I am not a risk taker so I would take the money.  That's a lot of money and I just couldn't see myself walking away and possibly ending up with nothing.

How big of a risk taker are you?

Honored Contributor

Re: If you were on a game show...

Have never been a gambler, I'd take the money.  I find that most of the non-monetary prizes are something I wouldn't want anyway.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When it involves my own money that I earned, I am not a gambler. I hate to gamble..I cry if I lose a dollar.

If it involves money that I got by chance and didn't earn, I am more likely to take a risk.

If I thought I had a pretty good chance of really winning the big prize, I would probably go for it thinking I came without money and I could leave without it.  It wouldn't matter to me.

Now, If  I was offered substantially more than $2000, I might take the money and run.  $2000 would not change my life or make much difference to me.  It would depend on the situation.  If I could afford to lose, I'd take a bigger risk.

Trusted Contributor

It would depend if I needed the money or not.  I'm not a gambler or risk taker either. 

Honored Contributor

I would definitely play on.  If I had not used my own money to get that far then I am willing to see what may happen.  If needing to continue the game for more I would reevaluate each time.  At some point enough of a risk being take is enough. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I'm not a risk taker or a gambler, hand over the $2000. 💰

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I don't know.  Maybe.

But, if I did take the smaller amount, I would definintely NOT want to know what would happen if I proceeded on.  I'd hate to know that I would have won the big prize, after settling.

Honored Contributor

I think on those shows you can get caught up in the moment. And the audience cheers you on if you gamble the money. So I can't say for sure I would be unaffected by everything that was going on around me. Logically, it would make more sense to take the money. So if I could keep my head, that's what I would do.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

I am not greedy, so I would take the $$ & RUN.

Super Contributor

In the spirit of the game, I'd play on! 

I wouldn't gamble away my own money, but why go on a game show if you're not willing to make it fun? Smiley Wink