Respected Contributor

Re: If you unfriend someone on Facebook will they know it?

@SurferWife wrote:

@Mindy D 

If you don't want a person to know, it's better to unfollow than unfriend.  I have done that with several childhood friends.  If I want to see what they're up to I just look at their page from time to time, but don't really interact with them.

If I were to unfollow someone, I would not see their posts, but would they see mine?

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D This is why I am not on Facebook.Way to much drama,and I could care less who does what.

Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

@Mindy D 

If you don't want a person to know, it's better to unfollow than unfriend.  I have done that with several childhood friends.  If I want to see what they're up to I just look at their page from time to time, but don't really interact with them.

If I were to unfollow someone, I would not see their posts, but would they see mine?

@Sunshine Kate 

I found this on a tech site, but it's from  2020 so I don't know if it still applies:

WHAT DOES UNFOLLOW MEAN ON FACEBOOK

Unfollow in simple terms means to stop seeing someone’s posts on your newsfeed.  Unfollow, similar to follow, is a one-way thing. When you unfollow someone, it’s done from your end only. Nothing changes from their side. They continue to follow you if you are friends. So all the conditions to follow will remain true on their end until they unfollow or unfriend you (if you are friends). When you unfollow a friend, you continue to be in each other’s friends list.

CAN UNFOLLOWED FRIENDS SEE MY POSTS AND STORIES

Yes. As explained above, unfollowing is a one-way journey. It doesn’t change anything from their end. Your posts and stories will still appear in their newsfeed if you are friends. In case you want to stop your posts from appearing in their feed, you should restrict them.

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

@Mindy D This is why I am not on Facebook.Way to much drama,and I could care less who does what.

More drama on here,i find.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

@Mindy D 

@Sunshine Kate Yes.  There is a way to keep them from seeing your posts, but it's a little complicated.  You'll need to create 2 lists.  

Go into your Settings, Under Audience & Visibility, Choose Posts.

Next to Who Can See Your Future Posts click on your Default and then choose Custom.

Create your lists.  For example maybe you have Gaming friends you don't want to see your posts, so you might create a Gaming list and add those names to it.  Then, you'll want to create another list.  I have one called Friends except and then you add your games list to the Friends except list.  You can create and add as many lists as you want.  Once done creating your lists you can click done.  

Now, what you'll have to remember is when you create your first post, look at the little icon next to the date and time.  If it's a little globe, that means your post will be public.  If it looks like two people, click on it and make sure it is set to your List, not Friends and you're good to go.  That will remain your default until you click on that icon again and change it.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:
That's surprising that they are your friends if you didn't accept the request. Never heard of that happening.

I monitor my son's FB page occasionally and recently he got a notice that "XX accepted your friend request." 

My son never uses FB and I didn't request it.

Lots of hackers play on FB!

Esteemed Contributor

Of course they'll know it when they see they're not on your friends list anymore. You can just unfollow someone and they won't know. 

Esteemed Contributor

Correct.  Their posts do not automatically pop up on your site but you can go to their site and read them.

Esteemed Contributor

I am friends with some people on FB but, for various reasons, have unfollowed them so that their posts don't appear on my timeline.  

I also have e-mail notifications for FB turned off so that my e-mail is not cluttered with that sort of thing.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

I am friends with some people on FB but, for various reasons, have unfollowed them so that their posts don't appear on my timeline.  

I also have e-mail notifications for FB turned off so that my e-mail is not cluttered with that sort of thing.

Easy to prevent the drama if you don't want it!