Honored Contributor

Re: If you unfriend someone on Facebook will they know it?

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

How do they get on my friends list if I never friended them? 

@Mindy D - if you didn't friend them, then they sent you a friend request and you accepted it.

@gidgetgh @I never accepted any. I've received some via email and never replied. Did my lack of reply cause them to be friended? 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D,

As far as I know, you have to ask someone to be your "friend" on Facebook and the other person has to agree to it.  I've had a few people I don't know who showed up as friends, but I figured out who sent them a request...my DH. He and I had a discussion about that, especially since he has his own Facebook account!

Honored Contributor

They aren’t on your friend list unless you accept the request.
Trusted Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

I wondered the same thing when I BLOCK unwanted emails.

Does it bounce back to sender?

No, they go automatically go to junk or spam. 

You cannot be friends on FB with someone unless you accept their friend request.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with others saying unless you accepted a friend request, they can't be listed as a friend. Maybe, they're friends with one of your friends, which could enable them to see your posts. You can also go to your privacy settings and it will give you a choice as to who is allowed to see your posts. Good luck!

ETA.. as to your question, you can snooze or unfollow anyone and they will not be alerted..

~H~
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

If you don't want a person to know, it's better to unfollow than unfriend.  I have done that with several childhood friends.  If I want to see what they're up to I just look at their page from time to time, but don't really interact with them.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Trusted Contributor

Are you sure they're showing as friend and not just friends of friends?  Also, if you see the "suggested friends" block on your page, you may be inadvertently sending a friend request.  It's easy to do if you click on the person's picture and look at their profile.  My fat fingers have done it a few times 😹

Honored Contributor

youi can go to your Friends list and enter the name.  When/if it shows up, click on the 3 dots and choose Unfollow.  You won't see any of their stuff anymore.  

They will not get a notification if you Unfriend them, but they might find out if it really matters.  I use an app that customizes my Facebook experience by filtering things out that I don't want to see (sponsored posts, political stuff, etc.).  One of the app's features is a Friend Manager.  It will tell you if a person leaves your Friend's list.  However, it doesn't tell you whether they Unfriended you or if they simply deactivated their account.  If they reactivate their account it'll tell me they are back on my Friend's list though.  

I agree with the others.  If you did not accept a friend request from them, they shouldn't be on your friend list.  But, you can look at your friend list to see.  

Honored Contributor

I have blocked a LOT of people who find their way into my page or comments. I unfriended several too.  I don't care if they notice.

You never know if they will scam you or cause other problems.

If it is a problem, they can message me through fb and I can reconsider....I've rarely unblocked someone. 

Honored Contributor

Never had a friend request added, with out approving them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.