Honored Contributor

Re: If you could travel in time.

I would not want to go back in time because there was no air conditioning or antibiotics back then. It would take forever to get anywhere or to do something simple like get a glass of water or wash my clothes.

Most people in the past were lower class and did not have a great time in life. You could die slowly from small cut on your finger. And most of your children would die from disease in front of your eyes as you desperately tried to save them. Life was short and hard and cheap.

If I did end up in the minuscule "upper echelon" of a past society I'd have to have a bunch of servants (hopefully free people. let's not even get into all that! yikes!) to do everything. And if that happened, everything would take forever to get done by someone else, and probably not up to my standards. All my food would get to me cold. I'd feel silly sitting around waiting. I'd just want to help everyone serving me and find them better jobs and situations.

And I'd still have no AC or antibiotics. Can you imagine traveling cross country in the winter with no heating?

I think I'd be bored or grossed out most of the time. Certainly uncomfortable.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

After reading The Time Travelers' Wife long ago, I don't think it would be good.  Maybe we need to be in the now.  For sure I never, never want to see the future.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

The future. To see how everything turns out. I'm optimistic so I think it's going to be good.

@Porcelain  I like that!

Honored Contributor

@LuvmyLab wrote:

I would definitely want to back in time, never forward. I'd to see what it was like to live in simpler times without all the technology we have now.  Would love to meet relatives that I never knew.

@LuvmyLab  Hopefully after toilets and electricity were invented😄

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I would not want to go back in time because there was no air conditioning or antibiotics back then. It would take forever to get anywhere or to do something simple like get a glass of water or wash my clothes.

Most people in the past were lower class and did not have a great time in life. You could die slowly from small cut on your finger. And most of your children would die from disease in front of your eyes as you desperately tried to save them. Life was short and hard and cheap.

If I did end up in the minuscule "upper echelon" of a past society I'd have to have a bunch of servants (hopefully free people. let's not even get into all that! yikes!) to do everything. And if that happened, everything would take forever to get done by someone else, and probably not up to my standards. All my food would get to me cold. I'd feel silly sitting around waiting. I'd just want to help everyone serving me and find them better jobs and situations.

And I'd still have no AC or antibiotics. Can you imagine traveling cross country in the winter with no heating?

@Porcelain 

I wouldn't mind having a ladies maid to help me but there would have to be phones and TV. LOL

Honored Contributor

I would go to the future, maybe 100 years or more!

I would not go to the past and certainly the 1950s or before were not a good time depending on who you were in society.
Honored Contributor

There are lots of points in history it might be interesting to experience first hand, but I might choose to go back to the years I spent in college and graduate school, which were among the best of times for me... I'd add that knowing what I know now, they could be even better...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Porcelain 

I wouldn't mind having a ladies maid to help me but there would have to be phones and TV. LOL

And think of all the people with Diabetes who died because insulin was not available until discovered in 1921

Honored Contributor

Back to the 70's/80's and stay there...

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@tiny 2 wrote:

@Porcelain 

And think of all the people with Diabetes who died because insulin was not available until discovered in 1921

Not to be too gross, but hygeinewise I'm thinking a lot of people must have had UTIs all the time.

Not to mention dental problems where the only way to cure a toothache was to lose the tooth. And no toothpaste. No hot water.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr