Esteemed Contributor

If You Have Sold A Home....................

how much decluttering did you do?  Did you just pare things down.

I know storage may be an issue, also age and physical limitations may prohibit some from doing alot.

I have been looking at houses online.  There is a condo I like.  It's empty which is great to envision what you can do with it.

Some places have so much furniture, knick knacks, pictures and just....stuff, I see one picture and discount the place,

One house was completely decorated for Christmas.  Not just a tree, I mean every flat surface had multiple things on it. The dining room table had so many candles, little trees on it there was no room for plates and food. It's been on the market for months. The kitchen counter, the kitchen table, the windowsill over the sink.  All covered.  It looked like a Christmas Tree Shoppe exploded. You  just saw decorations, not the house.

How much did you do to get the house camera ready so to speak?

Valued Contributor

Re: If You Have Sold A Home....................

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

how much decluttering did you do?  Did you just pare things down.

I know storage may be an issue, also age and physical limitations may prohibit some from doing alot.

I have been looking at houses online.  There is a condo I like.  It's empty which is great to envision what you can do with it.

Some places have so much furniture, knick knacks, pictures and just....stuff, I see one picture and discount the place,

One house was completely decorated for Christmas.  Not just a tree, I mean every flat surface had multiple things on it. The dining room table had so many candles, little trees on it there was no room for plates and food. It's been on the market for months. The kitchen counter, the kitchen table, the windowsill over the sink.  All covered.  It looked like a Christmas Tree Shoppe exploded. You  just saw decorations, not the house.

How much did you do to get the house camera ready so to speak?

I always kept in mind what model homes look like.

Valued Contributor

When I sold my first home, i started de-cluttering early before I listed my home. It was easy to start doing it, one room at a time, because I wanted to be ready to move by the time I listed. I have moved twice since then and it was easy to get ready to pack and move. 

Esteemed Contributor

The fastest way to sell a house is to open up the space.It's best to clean it up & declutter. A coat of paint is helpfull too.

Esteemed Contributor

@germanshepherdlove   One of my friends from high school could have a realtor come on a moments notice to take pictures and not have to do a thing.

There is nothing on her kitchen or bathroom counters. The wall of shelves behind her couch has a few books and photos but other than that there is nothing sitting out.

It looks like a model home buth they lived there for 50 years.

Respected Contributor

The realtor for the Christmas house must have told them to take it down. I wonder what the disconnect was 

A family picture up doesn't discourage me.  My mom sold her house in 1 day and had a couple pics up.  And her house was outdated 

I look past decorations to the bones of the house and location.  Do I need to gut kitchen and baths? I don't care what their decorating style is. Even paint colors don't bother me - paint is cheap 

Honored Contributor

I haven't sold/bought a home for 26 years, and back then in my area, staging etc. wasn't a "thing". 

I am able to see the potential/needs regardless of what someone does to prepare a house for sale. 

I think clean, fresh and neutral are a good idea, whether that means you need to re paint, re carpet or put in new floor coverings. I wouldn't ever empty the house entirely, unless we were moving already anyway. 

For me a big thing is making sure the storage spaces are sparse and organized. Closets, cupboards, basement, attic garage. I want all of them to look like a magazine, not a stuffed mess. It gives the impression you don't have enough storage space when you pack those areas full, even if you do have lots of space, and just too much stuff!

I would declutter the decor a little bit, only because that is today's trend and what buyers want to see. My last house, we did nothing and it sold in 24 hours. 

Esteemed Contributor

I personally love to see how people decorate their houses, and enjoy seeing photos.  I can still envision what I would do.   What I don't like are the wide angle pictures when I see listings on line.  They are distorted.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Esteemed Contributor

I can easily look past paint color, not hard to change. I've seen some really, really brightly painted room.

Multiple rooms of gaudy wallpaper, not so much.

Esteemed Contributor

We sold our home in the past year or so when we downsized to our townhouse.

Our realtor was helpful as she gave me a list of things to put away and pictures (of family) to take down.  Our home wasn't cluttered anyway but there is a certain openess that they like to see.  We had already started to declutter the basement however, donating and giving family members back the stuff they had us storing !!  (never again, I might add).   Anyway it certainly is a task and the stuff you accumulate over the years because you "might need it", take it from me, you NEVER need it........Anyway it is liberating to streamline your belongings and start fresh after so many years.

We are quite happy hereSmiley Happy