Esteemed Contributor

Re: If You Have Sold A Home....................

Why live with clutter? It seems a clean, organized home is a comfortable home (to me). Each time we were transferred, it was immediate. I simply put out home(s) up for sale (FSBO) and they almost always sold on the first showing. There wasn't a need to declutter or clean closets or paint anything. We lived our lives in lovely, ready-to-sell homes! And they always sold with a week so we were on our way (with the movers) to another city and a new (to us) home within 30 days.

I always had a list of "must haves" for purchasing a home, as well. We'd spend one weekend buying the next home. Everything was quick and easy. We always made money on our homes and we lived in excellent neighborhoods near great schools. Doing your homework is the key. The rest is easy if organized.

Items not used during the past 12 months have  always been given to Charities, friends, etc. Clutter simply does not exist in my life. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Two of my neighbors sold in the last few years.  One rented a storage unit and removed all extra furniture, etc and items from garage and stored them.  They bought new patio furniture (they have a lake view).  

The second neighbor moved out completely and had the house repainted inside and staged.  

First house sold in two weeks.  Second house was on the market for two months at inflated price.  It finally sold at a much lower price.  

Trusted Contributor

We rented a storage unit for 2 of our 3 home sales; what we found was what we stored, we didn't miss and paid GOT JUNK to haul it to the dump. My in-laws refused and their house sold quickly; no issues. We rented a unit because the last 2 times we sold,  I had a newborn and wasn't dealing with that $^@*.

I don't care how messy or how much stuff a person has in their house. I'm looking at the "bones" not their stuff. De-clutter, leave it, do whatever works for you. If everything about the house is what the buyer is looking for, they'll buy it. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

Over the years my late husband and I alone have sold several houses.  Some we lived in and some we'd bought and rented them out and THEN sold them.

Also we have a business partner down in Florida where we'd build and sell houses and refinish houses.

In most of them we'd 'stage' the houses.  The general rule is you want people to envision THEM living in the house, not that you now live in the house.

There are a lot of videos I'm sure on you tube, etc who probably show it.

In Florida we had rooms full of furniture that their onely reason for being was to 'stage' the house.

As far as SOME of the houses we lived in, we took down all of our pictures of ourselves and it's clutter free.

The one's we saw (maybe to buy) and the one's WE sold were clutter free.

I say all of the but I was just telling someone that once I sold a house we were living in.

Here's what happened, I was home taking care of a 2 year old and a tiny infant daughter.  There was no way I was leaving the house.  It was cold outside and my husband was at work.

The couple came in with the realtor.  The girls were asleep.  

I walked around with the couple and the realtor.  I told them what I liked about the house and how happy were were there.

I love talking to people (especially those I don't know), so it was easy for me to talk like I knew them.

A short time later my husband called and said, "So you were there when the realtor showed the house?"

I said, "Yes, there was no way I was going to take these babies out of the house as cold as it was".

He said, "The realtor said you sold the house.  She was laughing saying you should probably get some of the commission".  

PS  I never got a commission, but the house was sold to those people.

It's kinda like roulette.  It's a matter of the right person/people coming to see the house and a little influencing here and there by the realtor.  Oh!  Yes!  And the right price too.  We all think our houses are probably worth more than it can be sold for.

Also dictating (unfortunately) is also what the houses sold for around you.  It makes a lot of difference.

My house is the biggest in the development.  There aren't any like it in this 1 acre development.  It's all entirely brick.

But....I can't get anywhere near it that I could if it was in some surrounding developments all with houses the same size as mine.  I am limited somewhat.

All of it makes a difference.  Not JUST clutter, but that's probably number one.

Look at model homes.  That will give you an idea.

I think more or as important is that the walls, rugs and everything is spotless and clean.

Invest in some paint for the walls, it all makes a difference if you want top dollar for your houses.

Over the years with houses we owned, my late husband one time dug up a septic tank (that was fun...me and our 3 daughters helped with some of that), we've totally cleaned a nasty inground pool (my husband tried to get us to swim in it as we shocked it and it looked perfect) we remembered when it was gross and green slime no matter how clean it was!

Trusted Contributor

@SoonerThat's why we've been remodeling as much as we can. Years before we plan on selling to be able to enjoy it while we're here.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

@SoonerThat's why we've been remodeling as much as we can. Years before we plan on selling to be able to enjoy it while we're here.

@morganjen  I agree!  And sometimes depending on how your life is going and your financial situation, simply discount the house enough for it to be redone and walk away!  

That works too sometimes in life.  Think of how much money you will save in upkeep for months, tag that onto the cost of needed repairs and mark it down and get rid of it!   Sometimes mental health costs factor in too!  Woman Wink