Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,953
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: If California needs water........

On 4/2/2015 sidsmom said:
On 4/2/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 4/2/2015 sidsmom said:

"If California need water......

Reduce livestock production. Eat less meat.

It's going for produce, mostly.

Unfortunately livestock needs more water than anything....for the alfalfa, feed, pastures, as well as water for the animal, water to manufacture the meat, etc.etc.....so, so, so much more than produce.

Not here. CA produces the most produce in the nation and for the nation.
A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,136
Registered: ‎06-03-2010

Re: If California needs water........

On 4/2/2015 sidsmom said:
On 4/2/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 4/2/2015 sidsmom said:

"If California need water......

Reduce livestock production. Eat less meat.

It's going for produce, mostly.

Unfortunately livestock needs more water than anything....for the alfalfa, feed, pastures, as well as water for the animal, water to manufacture the meat, etc.etc.....so, so, so much more than produce.

only IF you're talking 'grazers'............pigs, chickens, turkeys, etc..........not so much......................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,655
Registered: ‎06-29-2010

Re: If California needs water........

On 4/2/2015 Qwackertoo said:
On 4/2/2015 Love Roses said:

Calm down. I am sure those folks are paying big time bucks for that water. I just don't want to have to give up my shrubs and flowers. Time to do a rain dance.

In July & August when the kids were little I'd tell them to do me a little rain dance and they would . . . and sure enough it would rain a few hours later. Smiley Happy And that was without me looking at the forecast. Just a pop up shower or so maybe from the heat but they were always surprised when it "worked".

Yes, it does work and especially if the children dance.

I just thoughta something. It's so like the CA legislators to holler this n that. This drought is also a very useful way of stopping development and growth in Ca, thereby limiting the folks who want to come and stay. More people here, more water is needed. Hmmmmmmmm.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Contributor
Posts: 58
Registered: ‎03-17-2015

Re: If California needs water........

On 4/2/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 4/2/2015 sidsmom said:
On 4/2/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 4/2/2015 sidsmom said:

"If California need water......

Reduce livestock production. Eat less meat.

It's going for produce, mostly.

Unfortunately livestock needs more water than anything....for the alfalfa, feed, pastures, as well as water for the animal, water to manufacture the meat, etc.etc.....so, so, so much more than produce.

Not here. CA produces the most produce in the nation and for the nation.

Interesting point though.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,945
Registered: ‎08-12-2013

Re: If California needs water........

I knew we are in a drought but yesterday when they were measuring our snow pack and normally they are standing in five feet of snow they were standing on dry dirt it made me think of even more ways to save water. It's scary!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,415
Registered: ‎11-25-2011

Re: If California needs water........

New York Times (March 2014): "Meat Makes the Planet Thirsty"

Excerpts from the article:

But for those truly interested in lowering their water footprint, those numbers pale next to the water required to fatten livestock. A 2012 study in the journal Ecosystems by Mesfin M. Mekonnen and Arjen Y. Hoekstra, both at the University of Twente in the Netherlands, tells an important story. Beef turns out to have an overall water footprint of roughly four million gallons per ton produced. By contrast, the water footprint for “sugar crops” like sugar beets is about 52,000 gallons per ton; for vegetables it’s 85,000 gallons per ton; and for starchy roots it’s about 102,200 gallons per ton.

Factor in the kind of water required to produce these foods, and the water situation looks even worse for the future of animal agriculture in drought-stricken regions that use what’s known as “blue water,” or water stored in lakes, rivers and aquifers, which California and much of the West depend on.

Vegetables use about 11,300 gallons per ton of blue water; starchy roots, about 4,200 gallons per ton; and fruit, about 38,800 gallons per ton. By comparison, pork consumes 121,000 gallons of blue water per ton of meat produced; beef, about 145,000 gallons per ton; and butter, some 122,800 gallons per ton. There’s a reason other than the drought that Folsom Lake has dropped as precipitously as it has. Don’t look at kale as the culprit. (Although some nuts, namely almonds, consume considerable blue water, even more than beef.) That said, a single plant is leading California’s water consumption.

Unfortunately, it’s a plant that’s not generally cultivated for humans: alfalfa. Grown on over a million acres in California, alfalfa s*cks up more water than any other crop in the state. And it has one primary destination: cattle. Increasingly popular grass-fed beef operations typically rely on alfalfa as a supplement to pasture grass. Alfalfa hay is also an integral feed source for factory-farmed cows, especially those involved in dairy production.

Contributor
Posts: 58
Registered: ‎03-17-2015

Re: If California needs water........

Interesting NYT article. Thanks I'll go read it.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,953
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: If California needs water........

On 4/2/2015 eloise said:
On 4/2/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 4/2/2015 sidsmom said:
On 4/2/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 4/2/2015 sidsmom said:

"If California need water......

Reduce livestock production. Eat less meat.

It's going for produce, mostly.

Unfortunately livestock needs more water than anything....for the alfalfa, feed, pastures, as well as water for the animal, water to manufacture the meat, etc.etc.....so, so, so much more than produce.

Not here. CA produces the most produce in the nation and for the nation.

Interesting point though.

It is, and a well known one, but CA is not a state built around cattle or sheep ranching, it's a produce state.
A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor
Posts: 266
Registered: ‎09-28-2014

Re: If California needs water........

On 4/2/2015 sidsmom said:

New York Times (March 2014): "Meat Makes the Planet Thirsty"

Excerpts from the article:

But for those truly interested in lowering their water footprint, those numbers pale next to the water required to fatten livestock. A 2012 study in the journal Ecosystems by Mesfin M. Mekonnen and Arjen Y. Hoekstra, both at the University of Twente in the Netherlands, tells an important story. Beef turns out to have an overall water footprint of roughly four million gallons per ton produced. By contrast, the water footprint for “sugar crops” like sugar beets is about 52,000 gallons per ton; for vegetables it’s 85,000 gallons per ton; and for starchy roots it’s about 102,200 gallons per ton.

Factor in the kind of water required to produce these foods, and the water situation looks even worse for the future of animal agriculture in drought-stricken regions that use what’s known as “blue water,” or water stored in lakes, rivers and aquifers, which California and much of the West depend on.

Vegetables use about 11,300 gallons per ton of blue water; starchy roots, about 4,200 gallons per ton; and fruit, about 38,800 gallons per ton. By comparison, pork consumes 121,000 gallons of blue water per ton of meat produced; beef, about 145,000 gallons per ton; and butter, some 122,800 gallons per ton. There’s a reason other than the drought that Folsom Lake has dropped as precipitously as it has. Don’t look at kale as the culprit. (Although some nuts, namely almonds, consume considerable blue water, even more than beef.) That said, a single plant is leading California’s water consumption.

Unfortunately, it’s a plant that’s not generally cultivated for humans: alfalfa. Grown on over a million acres in California, alfalfa s*cks up more water than any other crop in the state. And it has one primary destination: cattle. Increasingly popular grass-fed beef operations typically rely on alfalfa as a supplement to pasture grass. Alfalfa hay is also an integral feed source for factory-farmed cows, especially those involved in dairy production.

Allan Savory disputes this. He was able to show moving large herds of livestock vastly improves grasslands and can even reverse desertification. http://www.ted.com/talks/allan_savory_how_to_green_the_world_s_deserts_and_reverse_climate_change?la...

Honored Contributor
Posts: 26,549
Registered: ‎12-17-2012

Re: If California needs water........

We can put pipelines all over, but we can't get water to our own? We have more than we need on this side and would love to send it where it's needed. Why can't we?

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."