On 4/2/2015 tansy said:

I missed your edit, Noel. :-)

I'm on heavy duty pain killers, I have an excuse {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor

Re: If California needs water........

On 4/2/2015 Cakers1 said:
On 4/2/2015 tansy said:

My son said many of the owners of big homes in Montecito are having water trucked in to water their lawns and gardens.

I find that totally irresponsible and outrageous. Wait until there is no more water to drink; and it will happen. Taps have run dry already in some areas; these people who treasure material things over the well-being of others - I can't even begin to register my anger.

Calm down. I am sure those folks are paying big time bucks for that water. I just don't want to have to give up my shrubs and flowers. Time to do a rain dance.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

Here's what I found :

"An unknown, but significant, number of people in Montecito are buying from farmers, who are tapping into wells in the Carpinteria groundwater basin, then trucking the water back to their homes to keep their lush landscapes bursting with color."

http://www.noozhawk.com/article/water_agencies_stop_private_sales_carpinteria_montecito

IMO, that is so wrong. Those wells have to carry underground water that serves more than just the farmers tapping into it.

Honored Contributor

On 4/2/2015 sidsmom said:

"If California need water......

Reduce livestock production. Eat less meat.

It's going for produce, mostly.

Respected Contributor

On 4/2/2015 eloise said:

Just me I guess but I usually think articles with cited sources and their research carry more weight than hearsay on chat boards but then not everybody thinks so, so to each her own as they say.Smile

Oh of course! Far be it from me to challenge the omniscient power of the university of Google. Smile

Respected Contributor

The rich and powerful never have to live by the same rules most of us do.

Goes on every day - some of it publicly.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

On 4/2/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 4/2/2015 sidsmom said:

"If California need water......

Reduce livestock production. Eat less meat.

It's going for produce, mostly.

Unfortunately livestock needs more water than anything....for the alfalfa, feed, pastures, as well as water for the animal, water to manufacture the meat, etc.etc.....so, so, so much more than produce.

Super Contributor

On 4/2/2015 scotttie said:

This is a huge pet peeve of my dh for decades. Watering lawns.

We don't. I use to.

Don't have a sprinkler system.

So I'd use sprinklers and hoses and move them from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. 2-3 days a week.

Beautiful green grass in July & August . . . dead hot heat of the summer.

And neighbors all brown and dead.

Get a little rain and their yards looked as good as mine.

Without the 100.00 (several years ago, over ten) water bill.

So no more watering the lawn.

It is what it is.

Fescue. Very drought resistant. Turns brown but then greens back up with a little drink of water.

Super Contributor

On 4/2/2015 Love Roses said:

Calm down. I am sure those folks are paying big time bucks for that water. I just don't want to have to give up my shrubs and flowers. Time to do a rain dance.

In July & August when the kids were little I'd tell them to do me a little rain dance and they would . . . and sure enough it would rain a few hours later. Smiley Happy And that was without me looking at the forecast. Just a pop up shower or so maybe from the heat but they were always surprised when it ""worked"".

Contributor

On 4/2/2015 scotttie said:
On 4/2/2015 eloise said:

Just me I guess but I usually think articles with cited sources and their research carry more weight than hearsay on chat boards but then not everybody thinks so, so to each her own as they say.Smile

Oh of course! Far be it from me to challenge the omniscient power of the university of Google. Smile

What's wrong with Google? Or Fortune or Fox or the others I found with good detailed articles? It's like going to the library online imho. Lucky to have it.Smile