Honored Contributor

Re: Ideas on why he was rejected please

[ Edited ]

@marmot24 

I have several opinions I could throw in from being guinea pig in 2 different studies. Neither had anything to do with a study of an illness. If the person doing his interview couldn't say? Could be just a lay person familiar with interviewing people who was just following their script.

If he really wants to know he will probably have to spend some time trying to contact someone that authored the study or had involvement in it.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Regular Contributor

Thanks for all your ideas...it's the University of Pittsburgh.

Esteemed Contributor

That is why I don't put much faith in clinical trials anymore.

I was recommended for an allergy study...had a reaction to one med, one time, NO, not qualified.

They will not accept anyone that they think might not give them a 100% positive outcome for whatever they are testing!

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Perhaps they had a quota which was filled?  I was rejected for registering as a bone marrow donor because they had many white females already.  

@Still Raining that makes no sense whatsoever to me.  They're begging for people to apply to bone marrow registries.  The more the better and better chance for a match. I've seen bone marrow drives and never have I seen them say they don't want white women to test.  I got tested years ago when it took a blood sample.  

I got kicked off of the bone marrow regiestry though, but not for a reason like that.  They thought I was a match and as I was going through the questioning process it came out that I have a rare genetic slight propensity for blood clotting.  It made no difference for the person receiving the marrow, but out of abundance of caution for the donor they won't allow it.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

Perhaps they had a quota which was filled?  I was rejected for registering as a bone marrow donor because they had many white females already.  

@Still Raining that makes no sense whatsoever to me.  They're begging for people to apply to bone marrow registries.  The more the better and better chance for a match. I've seen bone marrow drives and never have I seen them say they don't want white women to test.  I got tested years ago when it took a blood sample.  

I got kicked off of the bone marrow regiestry though, but not for a reason like that.  They thought I was a match and as I was going through the questioning process it came out that I have a rare genetic slight propensity for blood clotting.  It made no difference for the person receiving the marrow, but out of abundance of caution for the donor they won't allow it.  

@Icegoddess   It isn't not wanting white women to test.

Other ethnicities have particular markers that are not found in white donors.

In other words, AA, Asians, HIspanics-they have a better chance of finding a donor from persons of their own background and successful treatment.

There may be many donors out there but not enough donors for particular ethnic groups.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

@Icegoddess   It isn't not wanting white women to test.

Other ethnicities have particular markers that are not found in white donors.

In other words, AA, Asians, HIspanics-they have a better chance of finding a donor from persons of their own background and successful treatment.

There may be many donors out there but not enough donors for particular ethnic groups.

@Icegoddess @Cakers3 

Several of us were working out at a children's hospital and one person knew the program director.  So we went over.  Northern European white women are a glut on the market.  One person was full blooded southern Chinese and got to try out.

Bone marrow is very different than blood.

If anyone has a "odd" heritage, they should volunteer.  Jewish via Spain?  American Indian?  It is a priceless gift.

Honored Contributor

You know it's interesting that supposedly it's supposed to be people who are in perfect health.

I remember asking someone (a friend of my daughter's who travels the world working on viruses, etc).  Until recently she was working with Aids patients in Africa).

I asked why these medicines mention every single thing that could happen to someone taking whatever medicine it is.

She said something like, (paraphrasing my version) "Often these people are total hypocondriacs".  They choose these people because they will mention the slightest change in their body during the trials.

Some of the possible problems with medicines are like 1 in a million happening, yet they mention it.

It's like "taker beware", kinda a version of "buyer beweare".

When my son in law was in college he was asked to be in a trial of some kind of cold prevention or other.  He was all for it.

My daughter (who was seriously dating him at the time) said, "No way in 'heck' are you doing that".  So he said no.

But during the course of his 3 years (he graduated in 3 years in college) he was asked many times if he wanted a little extra money to participate in various trials.

I guess each trial has various requirements.

Oh!  I forgot to mention.  He was asked if he'd like to 'donate' sperm once.

Thank goodness my daughter had a say in that one too.  Ha!