Honored Contributor

Re: Iconic Christmas Commercial Changed

@Ladybug724 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

It's a commercial.  And kids can't deal with a Hershey's kiss being cooked or eaten?

Good grief. Woman Frustrated

That's not what I said. I said I don't like that they changed an iconic commercial. I said nothing about kids being upset about a kiss being eaten

@Ladybug724 It is a commercial.  Really?  Is a commercial iconic or is supposed to last 20 years?  If nothing else, it shows the power of advertising and how manipulated we are by it doesn't it?

Doesn't that scare you a little if ads get into our brains and our psyches that much?  It does me!  

It's advertising.  Not literature, not a classic, it's a throw away, make a new one, commercial, sell us stuff, tv.  Stuff like that comes and goes. 

Honored Contributor

@candyagain wrote:

I feel that way about the new Jake from State Farm.....not about the actor, he's very likeable but I just loved the older version with the husband and wife on the phone. Now we have too many versions of the new commercial. The pizza delivery was cute.......stop it there! Especially the James Bond one and the butcher..........

This is how I amuse myself during the stay at home days  Smiley Very Happy

@candyagain - ITA - the "new" Jake is fine, but after seeing the other one ALL of the time, I think they kind of got rid of him. At first we saw both Jakes, with the new one asking if "they always ask that." Then the former Jake seemed to disappear. I wish they had kept both- and used both- just because one person lost his job! Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Fans of the classic commercial have mobilized and demanded that Hershey Co. to play the original. Hershey has responded to the fan reactions and demands on Twitter, stating that both the original and new commercials will continue to air this year.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@Ladybug724 wrote:

Has anyone seen this yet? The iconic Kisses bells performing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" and normally at the end one of the bells sighs in relief. Instead, the new version has a little girl grabbing one of the Kisses interrupting the bells and then we see her dad and her in the kitchen baking cookies together.

I don't like it. They shouldn't have changed it!

I OBJECT!

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@Ladybug724 wrote:

Has anyone seen this yet? The iconic Kisses bells performing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" and normally at the end one of the bells sighs in relief. Instead, the new version has a little girl grabbing one of the Kisses interrupting the bells and then we see her dad and her in the kitchen baking cookies together.

I don't like it. They shouldn't have changed it!

I like the original , but the ne one sounds cute.

It IS cute. I just don't want it to replace the original. Plenty of room for TWO commercials.

Honored Contributor

I think we've been played, friends.

Hershey's hoped they'd get this reaction and publicity, I bet. Their advertising and marketing teams probably focus grouped and planned the whole controversy.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@candyagain wrote:

I feel that way about the new Jake from State Farm.....not about the actor, he's very likeable but I just loved the older version with the husband and wife on the phone. Now we have too many versions of the new commercial. The pizza delivery was cute.......stop it there! Especially the James Bond one and the butcher..........

This is how I amuse myself during the stay at home days  Smiley Very Happy

@candyagain - ITA - the "new" Jake is fine, but after seeing the other one ALL of the time, I think they kind of got rid of him. At first we saw both Jakes, with the new one asking if "they always ask that." Then the former Jake seemed to disappear. I wish they had kept both- and used both- just because one person lost his job! Smiley Sad

It was nice that they included the "old" Jake in the first new commercial but you're right I miss the older commercial format. It was funny. Most of the "new" commercials aren't.

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't care for the harpy wife, and wimpy husband in the original Jake from State Farm ads.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

I must be in the minority but I like the new one. 

i like them both @cotton4me .....there is room for both during the holiday season. Smiley Happy i like the new jazzed up music on the new commercial also!

https://www.today.com/food/hershey-s-responds-backlash-over-new-christmas-bells-ad-t201875

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

Oh, I ADORE the Hershey's Kiss commercial! I always say that you know the Christmas season has indeed arrived when we see & hear the ringing Hershey Kiss Bells! LOL! Perhaps the edited version will be an addendum to the original, and both commercials will continue to air. (???) I sure hope so! Heart

Education | Sorority Alumna | PGA Foundation | Coffee and Brunch are my thing.