Super Contributor

I read that they have collected 25 million dollars since 2013 from all the  so called clueless and unsophisticated people. This was an informative forum only and does not need to be used to point fingers at people that have fallen for this scam

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@DoneTryin wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

The elderly people I know aren't that clueless and unsophisticaed.  They know IRS never calls anyone, ditto for SSA and banks. 

@chrystaltree

It's wonderful that all of your elderly acquaintances are so mentally alert & capable of handling such scams.  Unfortunately, there are many other people, not all necessarily elderly, who, for any number of reasons, are easily intimidated by such calls.  Or perhaps illnesses affect their ability to think logically.  My late dad suffered from brain tumors & while he was able to be home alone for a few hours at a time, he would sometimes agree to purchase items when phone solicitors called (this was back in the early 80s).  My mom was then surprised when things came in the mail & she had to return them & try to get refunded.

Then it sounds like if someone told your dad that the IRS doesn't call people; he wouldn't have been able to comprehend that.  Maybe it's just me, I don't assume that the whole wide world becomes dumb with age....

I didn't see that anyone said people become dumb with age, but anyone who has experienced life with the elderly should know a few things.

First, many people as they age know they are vulnerable. Simply their physical state can make them targets. Many don't keep up with the technology or all the 'new fangled' things, and are easily confused and intimidated by it. They come from a generation that had trust in and respect for authority, and did what they were told to do by people in authority. They are overwhelmed by the constant and rapid change in everything. Processes and procedures for much of what they did all their lives, have changed (often beyond their understanding) in recent years.

Of course they knew there were 'bad guys' but not as many, with the means to reach right into their homes, the way they do now.

I received one of those calls just yesterday. It was almost comical, the computer sounding voice telling me "I'd be arrested by the local cops" (yes, they used the word cop, like that is a phrase the IRS is going to use). 

But I'll be honest. My heart skipped a beat, and I had a few seconds of panic. I had just had my taxes filed within the last week, and the last thing anyone wants to hear at this time of year is even the hint the IRS is looking for you.

So I can see how, even with the news reminding people of these scams, how some fall for them, and how others are at least concerned, intimidated or down right scared. And I don't find any value in demeaning people for doing so.

Trusted Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Yes, one scam after another.  The Microsoft one is still going strong.  

Yeah, that Microsoft call came through but was blocked. It came through as a "Wireless Caller" on our Caller ID. 

I don't answer calls that I don't recognize anyway, though. 

This was the first time that we received one of those Microsoft calls to my knowledge, though. I have heard about those calls for a long time. 

Trusted Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

I have had a variety of these calls. Despite the fact I knew it was not really the IRS, and despite the fact I am an educated person, the calls still rattled me. I know someone whose immigrant mother fell for the scam. A waitress and single mother at a local coffee shot also fell for it.

Do not be so sure that your loved ones and friends will never be tricked by one of these scams.

This is very true.

My MIL fell for one of those internet money-order scams.

She was just about to go through with it, too. Her husband tried to convince her that it was a scam, but she didn't want to listen to him.

She didn't want to listen to us, either. She went so far as to take the money order to her bank, so that she could cash it. That is when she finally listened to someone.

One of the bank employees told her that if she cashed the money order, she would be responsible for that money. 

Contributor

I got one to. It said I was being sued lol I couldn't believe it. I am on the do not call list I didnt think I could get a call like that.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I received my first IRS phone call last week.  I just hungup.  I know it is a scam.

Honored Contributor

@grandmadiane wrote:

I got one to. It said I was being sued lol I couldn't believe it. I am on the do not call list I didnt think I could get a call like that.

This is another issue that will cause some to become alarmed and attempt to follow instructions. They have unlisted numbers, are on the 'do not call' list and think those things are protections. They assume that anyone who is calling them must be legitimate, or they couldn't possibly have their number.

Valued Contributor

Yesterday, while I was gone for a few minutes, a call like this went to the answering machine.  

Kevin M...., a real live person with an Indian accent, left a message with his phone #, repeatedly said. He didn't say whom he was calling for, or what dept he worked for, but said he wanted to stop whatever was coming from the Magistrate, the Grand Jury, and the Treasury Dept. And then said these officials will be coming to arrest. (Arrest who or what I'm thinking...)  And then repeated his phone # twice and hung up. He didn't specifically mention the IRS. 

There are all different kinds of these calls. When I first played the message, I knew it was a scam, but my heart skipped a beat for a half second anyway.

Here in town, one 40 something yr old man received a spam IRS call, played/joked with the spammer.  Spammer told him LE will be coming to his home to arrest him.  And something did happen!  Spammer got a hold of this guy's info through reverse look-up, and the swat team was sent out to the house because someone called saying a husband was holding the wife hostage with a gun at his home.  The 40 yrold was scared, he got the call on his cell phone, away from the house, and his daughter was home alone. Thankfully, outcome was okay, but now LE says don't mess with these spammers, just hang up.

Trusted Contributor

@DoneTryin wrote:

Yeah, real scumbags, aren't they?  If I don't know who's calling, I just don't answer.  Legitimate callers will leave a message.  Love my Caller ID & nomorobo!

I'm the same way DoneTryin. I haven't had any calls from the IRS, I'm getting e-mails from the FBI instead. I don't open them, they're deleted immediately

Esteemed Contributor

@Nomore wrote:

Here in town, one 40 something yr old man received a spam IRS call, played/joked with the spammer.  Spammer told him LE will be coming to his home to arrest him.  And something did happen!  Spammer got a hold of this guy's info through reverse look-up, and the swat team was sent out to the house because someone called saying a husband was holding the wife hostage with a gun at his home.  The 40 yrold was scared, he got the call on his cell phone, away from the house, and his daughter was home alone. Thankfully, outcome was okay, but now LE says don't mess with these spammers, just hang up.

@Nomore

Yikes, that’s a scary story.  I check the website, 800notes, for scam numbers.  The comments are always interesting to read.  Some of these scammers will say the vilest things.  I wouldn’t mess with them. 

We get 4 – 10 scam calls a day.  We never answer and have a call blocker.  I hope the call blocker manufacturers develop systems that can block thousands of numbers because we’re going to need it.