Honored Contributor

Re: INFO on MamaWick's refuge

You are a very nice lady.Heart

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MamaWick wrote:

@Pearlee. Yep, but I plan to simply say to look for this post.

@MamaWick, it's okay. We always have new members as well as having posters like me who are starting to forget more than I remember. :-)

A suggestion: Cut and paste your post and save it. I do that occasionally and put it as a draft on Outlook. Then you can grab it any time and, if needed, revise it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt.  I read your post before you removed it.  If you would look at my house, I have 2 undeveloped lots to the left (1 is owned by the house 3 lots down and 1 owned by a couple who buys vacant lots to maintain empty/green space).  To my right is an empty lot whose owners plan to build in about 4 years for retirement.  They know if their plans change, we are interested in purchasing the lot.  To the rear of their lot is an undeveloped lot.  Directly behind us and 2 lots to the left of that are 3 houses being built.  Across the street are 3 empty lots.  It is that way all around.  Lot, lot, house, house, lot, house, lot, lot and so on all throughout the area.  Thus, there is no area here with a full 10.1 contiguous acres needed to hunt.  

Of course, the empty lots could be developed at any time.  Until then, we are enjoying our visitors.   

I mentioned this year we have 20-22 visiting.  As this is our first full year here, we have no idea if these same deer will be back.  I also have no idea if I will recognize them next year.  Buckley will have a new rack.  Tracy is already walking better and may not limp.  

Nature, I'm sure, will take its course, along with accidents taking a fair amount of these beautiful creatures.  In the meantime, we love seeing them and making sure they have some food since what is being developed is taking away their natural habitat. 

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Respected Contributor

@MamaWick ....there are always going to be those who question everything you say or do. So much negativity in this world. Just keep doing the good that you are doing and no need to defend and explain yourself for all that you do.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@MamaWick  ThankYou for your explanation! I sure enjoy your updates and pictures. You mention the deer are not hunted....but are there cougars or other animals that might pray on them for food? I would think without natural predators or hunting....they would over populate? Maybe you can explain. 

Esteemed Contributor

It's so nice of you to care for and feed these beautiful creatures.  I live in the city and the only time I see deer is when I'm driving to the shore and there are some grazing near the highway in Jersey.  

What you are doing to help these animals really warms my heart.  Bless you!

Trusted Contributor

@MamaWick Thanks so much for this info - so enjoy learning about the deer and the pix you share with us.

Honored Contributor

@MamaWick thank you for this, it was very informative. Your such a generous kind soul, the deer don't realize it, but they are very lucky to have you looking after them.

Honored Contributor

Mama and Papa Wick!!!!!

I enjoyed reading your informative insightful post !!!!  I am just happy you and your hubby take care of these creatures and have compassion and concern for them.  Any one who treats an animal as you do is someone I respect and admire. Animals need voices to speak up for their protection, God bless you for your kindness.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@MamaWick  ThankYou for your explanation! I sure enjoy your updates and pictures. You mention the deer are not hunted....but are there cougars or other animals that might pray on them for food? I would think without natural predators or hunting....they would over populate? Maybe you can explain. 

Yes, deer can become over populated rather quickly.

Have you ever seen a deer slowly starve to death from lack of food?

It isn't pretty.

When there isn't enough food to sustain the population, deer can become sick and diseased.

That's why there is a deer hunting season.

Hunting actually helps to keep the population healthy and the numbers in check.

I like wildlife too, but I don't try to turn them into pets by providing food on a constant basis.

That can actually be detrimental to the wild animal, because they  learn to rely on humans for food, and that's bad for the animal.

Why forage like nature intended, when  they know that they can get an easy meal from a human?

Also, it can cause the wild animal to loose it's natural fear of humans, which is also not in the animals best interest if that happens.

So, I show my love for wildlife by admiring them from afar, and letting them forage and find their own food as nature intended.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.