Honored Contributor

I happen to find in-store price scanners to be very helpful.  Sometimes there is just no price label on the shelf, and sometimes I like to scan a generic and brand name product, to compare prices.   It was once suggested to me to just take it to the register with my cart when checking out, and the cashier can tell me how much the item is.  Unfortunately, when I'm checking out, there's no chance to be back in that aisle and compare the other choices and make another selection.   At checkout, the only decisions are yea or nay. 

I recently discovered that Walmart removed their scanners .... and was told they want customers to download their app, and can then check prices on their phones!   

Okay, maybe that's one "solution" ....  but IMO customers shouldn't have to provide their own equipment to be able to check prices in any store ....  that's the RETAILERS' responsibility. 

Plus .... I don't want to take up memory/space on my device with a bunch of store apps ...  they are just clutter and my fevice space is valuable.  

Just curious .... do you consider in-store price scanners to be a good tool that should be available .... or, are they just not that important?  

Honored Contributor

They were nice while they lasted.

Trusted Contributor

Honestly I have so many issues with them.  Either they aren't working or you can't get the bar code to effectively be read.  I really is easier for me to be able to scan on my phone.

i never noticed a price scanner at a walmart.

Esteemed Contributor

I have used them and they are helpful.  I would like to be able to do it from my phone.  Will be able to check in the spot rather than walking to a scanner then back to the aisle to compare.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Stores should have one or more available. They are very helpful.

Not everyone has a phone with them and there are many items

around without a proper shelf tag.

It is a pain to have to ask someone for help when the scanners

were available for pricing.

Honored Contributor

I also am a big fan of those,BUT sometimes they do not work.

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Contributor

Re: IN-STORE PRICE SCANNERS

[ Edited ]

Don't bother with the app. I added the WM app when they got rid of the scanners. The app is worthless as most of the time it doesn't read the bar code or it gives a message of "not a WM product" or names a different item than what I am trying to scan. I tried to scan the price of a Yankee candle and the app said "12 oz GV half & half". Have tried asking a WM associate to scan for me with their device and they roll their eyes and tell me to get the app......It happens so often I don't even use it anymore and avoid WM as much as possible. They are having more and more issues with credit card skimmers at self-checkout and since that is the only way I ever check out, it's not worth my time.
I was told by someone who used to work at WM that they got rid of the scanners because it would cause a big pile of discarded items to be left by the scanner when shoppers decided not to buy something...and it required another employee to restock everything. Even the in-store scanners don't work if they aren't maintained. I think many people don't check prices of what they are buying so it's not a priority for the store.

Respected Contributor

@Frontporchgal wrote:

Don't bother with the app. I added the WM app when they got rid of the scanners. The app is worthless as most of the time it doesn't read the bar code or it gives a message of "not a WM product" or names a different item than what I am trying to scan. I tried to scan the price of a Yankee candle and the app said "12 oz GV half & half". Have tried asking a WM associate to scan for me with their device and they roll their eyes and tell me to get the app......It happens so often I don't even use it anymore and avoid WM as much as possible. They are having more and more issues with credit card skimmers at self-checkout and since that is the only way I ever check out, it's not worth my time.
I was told by someone who used to work at WM that they got rid of the scanners because it would cause a big pile of discarded items to be left by the scanner when shoppers decided not to buy something...and it required another employee to restock everything. Even the in-store scanners don't work if they aren't maintained. I think many people don't check prices of what they are buying so it's not a priority for the store.

@Frontporchgal.    " What she said" ⬆⬆⬆⬆.  Exactly!

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Valued Contributor

Re: IN-STORE PRICE SCANNERS

[ Edited ]

The phone app scanning is much more helpful.

In store scanners are few and far between. They’re also frequently not working.

Then if you don’t want the item you have to go back to where you picked it up.

Doing it from your phone is way less fussy.

Edit- that's speaking from a Target app perspective. I'm not much of a Walmart shopper. 

Respected Contributor

I ,too, wish they would put scanners back in WM. I wish Wegman's would get them. The local Boscov's store in the mall has them and I use when needed.