Respected Contributor

Sorry,MK saw the pictures with the swaying poppys and it brought me back to my trip to visit my grandparents and family on my mother's side who lived in Europe.  I was 11, and it was my first time to actually meet family.  My parents were in concentration camps during WW II and dad last all his family.  When they were liberated by our soldiers, they spent 2yrs in an internment camp before choosing to come to America.  Most of my mother's family survived.  Red poppy, a bittersweet flower for me.

Esteemed Contributor

…soldiers who have been blooded are soldiers forever…Even when they finally settle down, the settling is tenuous, for when they close their eyes they see their comrades who have fallen. That they cannot forget, that they do not forget, that they never allow themselves to heal completely, is their way of expressing their love for friends who have perished. And they will not change, because they have become what they have become to keep the fallen alive.

~ Mark Helprin, A Soldier of the Great War

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Esteemed Contributor

@AKgirl2

In a sort of a way, I think the poppy in connection with Memorial Day, is supposed to be bittersweet.  Seems so to me, anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

I hope y'all have a safe and thoughtful Memorial Day.

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

Honored Contributor

I can never read this without bawling and when I read it aloud I cry even more. Thank you to all who posted on this thread.Heart