Honored Contributor

ICE PACKS FOR COOLERS

[ Edited ]

I am curious to know if anyone here can actually RECOMMEND  a good ice pack ...  one that actually works.  Most of them are pretty mediocre.  

Year round I keep a small insulated ice chest in my car.  It sits on the floor behind the passenger seat.  I do this because I like to take a chilled protein shake and a cold bottle of water with me when I'm out running errands, etc.  

I have found that ice packs come in all shapes, sizes and weights, and are meant to keep something cold, not to make it cold.   Over the years, I've bought many, and most of them are only "okay" at best.  I have 8-10 ice packs in my freezer and I doubt I would recommend any of them to anyone.

So ...........   what's your experience with these little cold bricks ... have you ever found something that was actually works?    I can't be the only person who can't find a good one ....     

Respected Contributor

Re: ICE PACKS FOR COOLERS

[ Edited ]

My son, who fishes a lot, suggested I fill up 1 liter plastic bottles that you get seltzer or soda in and freeze them. (Don't use the small thin plastic water bottles.) He started using them when he goes fishing and said they work the best, and they do!  The big blocks of plastic ice last a long time  Like ice packs, as they begin to melt there's no water mess behind and, in an emergency, you always have a source of water if needed.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Esteemed Contributor
As you said, ice packs are designed to keep things cold that are already cold. Maybe try a smaller cooler. With less air it might be easier to keep it cool.
Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

I would do what the first poster does or put some water in a square plastic container and freeze them. They would last the longest. That's what we do when we take a road trip. Last all day even though it's between 100-115 degrees.

Respected Contributor

I suggest a different approach. For Christmas a couple years ago, I was given an insulated water bottle. Can't think of the brand but it was a bit pricier than others. Anyway, even if left in a hot car and hot on the outside, what's inside is still as cold as when I poured it earlier that day. (the same for the opposite - cold car, hot bev)

Esteemed Contributor

Re: ICE PACKS FOR COOLERS

[ Edited ]

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

I suggest a different approach. For Christmas a couple years ago, I was given an insulated water bottle. Can't think of the brand but it was a bit pricier than others. Anyway, even if left in a hot car and hot on the outside, what's inside is still as cold as when I poured it earlier that day. (the same for the opposite - cold car, hot bev)

I agree. I rarely leave home without a 24 oz insulated bottle full of ice and water. Ice will last all day even sitting in a 140 degree car. 

Honored Contributor

YETI makes the best ice packs imo. They are expensive but they outperform all the rest.

Respected Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

Just found the brand - hydro flask - 21 oz is what I have.

Honored Contributor

I keep a hard-sided cooler in my car for my groceries.  I put three or four of the dry ice packs that I regularly get in my supplement deliveries.  It keeps my food cold while I'm out.  

I'm not trying to "make" something cold though.  I only want to keep things cold or frozen that are already in that state.  I use an insulated tumbler for any beverage I want to take with me from home.

Respected Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud  I agree. The HydroFlask brand is a superior product. My prescription eye drops must be refrigerated. I use one of their tumblers with a lid to transport them when we travel. I do put a few ice cubes in a zip lock bag to keep the chill, but the ice has never been melted when we complete our 5 hour trip.