Regular Contributor

Re: I work at Walmart - May 20 Update

I thank you for your hard work . You deserve more . Peole do not realize what service  you are providing .  God Bless you and all Workers .

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am still working and grateful to have a job to go to, however, as in any situation there are folks who will take advantage of whatever they can get.  My understanding is that in California, unemployment is $450/week, plus you now get the $600/week federal for a total of $2100 every two weeks tax free.

I know A LOT of people who would be very glad to be bringing in $4200 a month tax free and sitting home.

Personally I would want to get back to work to maintain health coverage and the other benefits I receive from my job if I had lost my job.  

For those that lost their job, I hope they are able to get back to work quickly, and life can get back to normal, but there will be some who will refuse to go back to work, and at that point, I hope they understand that those benefits will be gone.   

@Libra2   So glad to hear that you were on a vacation and hopefully you were able to unwind and relax a little and got a few days off, and once back to work, that the customers have calmed down and work is less stressful for you. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@Libra2 Great to see your post in Community Chat (rather than the QVC Talk forum which is about QVC stuff).

I'm happy you got a much-needed break. 👍🙂
Valued Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

I am still working and grateful to have a job to go to, however, as in any situation there are folks who will take advantage of whatever they can get.  My understanding is that in California, unemployment is $450/week, plus you now get the $600/week federal for a total of $2100 every two weeks tax free.

I know A LOT of people who would be very glad to be bringing in $4200 a month tax free and sitting home.

Personally I would want to get back to work to maintain health coverage and the other benefits I receive from my job if I had lost my job.  

For those that lost their job, I hope they are able to get back to work quickly, and life can get back to normal, but there will be some who will refuse to go back to work, and at that point, I hope they understand that those benefits will be gone.   

@Libra2   So glad to hear that you were on a vacation and hopefully you were able to unwind and relax a little and got a few days off, and once back to work, that the customers have calmed down and work is less stressful for you.

More misinformation.  Unemployment 100% is taxable. In my case federal, state & local.  Both for your unemployment and the $600, BOTH ARE TAXABLE!  Geez.

I cannot speak for California as I live in PA, but I would 'guestimate' that not every person in the state gets the same amount of unemployment. You stated $450. It's based off of your income.  And I CAN guarantee not everyone in the state of California makes the exact same amount of money. That I do know. Smiley Happy Maybe you know someone who gets $450?  That's not the entire state!  And I can guarantee they're paying taxes whether they have it taken out (as I do partially) before it hits my account or they will have to pay taxes on it when the do next year's taxes, or both. You wil get tax forms for anything you earn on unemployment and it's reported to the government as income.

The $1200 stimulus is tax free for EVERYONE, unemployment is not and fully taxable. Maybe that was your confusion??

Honored Contributor

@Libra2 -

I salute you brave girl!

And thank you for all you do every day for everyone who needs groceries! May you stay well!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Libra, is the $300/150 bonus a one time payment? 

Honored Contributor

@kittykatkay wrote:

@Libra2....I am glad to know you are safe and had some much deserved time off.

I think it was a mistake to offer that much for unemployment (the extra $600) because right now, those who are receiving are not wanting to go back to work, just as you have stated.  BUT....and a BIG BUT, ....this will only last until July and they will be scrambling to find a job if they don't get their BUTTS back to work as soon as possible somewhere.  

I am retired, thank you LORD, but if I was in this situation, I would definitely go back to work to have a stable and sure income.  Hope they have a job to go back to or find one.

@kittykatkay 

Exactly.  And I won't feel sorry for them if they can't find a job because they chose to sit on their butts & live off of government hand-outs vs. working to earn an honest living.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Libra2   I don't know where your customer received her information but if WM laid off employees and now wants them back-they have to go back.

You cannot just refuse your old job and continue to collect unemployment.

I find it odd that somebody would want to be on unemployment instead of working-because once the extra $$ runs out those checks will be 1/2 the amount of a regular paycheck.

Be careful what you wish for.

Cakers

I work for a Walmart competitor.  There were people who self-quarantined for 14 days, then promptly returned, the remaining, save for one elderly widow, have been out  approximately 7 weeks and are quietly refusing to return.  I heard a rumor that the store lead sent certified letters and calls to prove their hours are available.  and if there's no response, they will have to go through Corporate to get their jobs back.  Meanwhile, everyone part time and full can work a 40 hour week along with a temporary $2 hourly raise.  We have been absolutely swamped.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, @Libra2 , for your updates from the front lines of retail.  Please accept my thanks for your hard work and the great service you are providing the people in your community.  Without people like you, our communities would be in even worse shape.

Retail is hard work and requires the patience of a saint.  You clearly have that and more.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Libra2   I don't know where your customer received her information but if WM laid off employees and now wants them back-they have to go back.

You cannot just refuse your old job and continue to collect unemployment.

I find it odd that somebody would want to be on unemployment instead of working-because once the extra $$ runs out those checks will be 1/2 the amount of a regular paycheck.

Be careful what you wish for.

Cakers

I work for a Walmart competitor.  There were people who self-quarantined for 14 days, then promptly returned, the remaining, save for one elderly widow, have been out  approximately 7 weeks and are quietly refusing to return.  I heard a rumor that the store lead sent certified letters and calls to prove their hours are available.  and if there's no response, they will have to go through Corporate to get their jobs back.  Meanwhile, everyone part time and full can work a 40 hour week along with a temporary $2 hourly raise.  We have been absolutely swamped.

If your job was offered back to you and you refuse, you WILL lose your unemployment.  If there is proof (as you stated) that they employer sent a letter that their hours and job are available, that is all the government needs to cut off their unemployment. And they could possibly have to pay back any unemployment already earned.  I suggest the employer forwards that info to their local government for those employees refusing to go back.  When you fill out the weekly 'time card' online on the unemployment site, it specifically asks if your job is available or if you refused to work but were able to do so that you job was available.

Again, there are those that will take advantage of ANY situation. I would think a majority are not with the current situation, myself included.  My job as a self employed sole proprieter is that I have no clients needing my work right now due to covid-19 and the shut downs worldwide.  And my specific hometown area is still on lockdown in the red zone...for who knows how long.