Honored Contributor

Re: I will NEVER cease to be shocked and amazed.....

@game-on wrote:

If we had a single payer system.... would this problem be solved? just asking.

It would open up a whole other can of worms.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I will not join in scolding the OP. I understand exactly where she is coming from.

I would feel for the parents, as having a child at any age, suffering with cancer is not something any of us would wish on anyone for any reason, and I'm sure that OP feels the same. I would definitely have sympathy for them as parents of a sick child, and for the sick man himself. I wish no one ever had to experience cancer.

What I take away from the OP is that this person, who has committed enough of a crime(s), or made poor enought choices/decisions to be costing taxpayers money to be housed, fed etc. is bad enough while serving time, but appears to be getting top treatment that people who pay big premiums, follow the law, and contribute to society often don't have access to because of money, insurance providers on their plan, etc.

Valid frustration, in my opinion. If this guy comes out of prison, beats his cancer, and contributes to society, it might be worth our investment. But if not, I find it a waste of the best resources, that someone more deserving might have benefited from. Not that he shouldn't receive treatment, but is the treatment excessive for his particular case, and excessive for someone who is not contributing to society, but has taken from it, in some manner or other? I think, maybe, yes.

Thank you Mominohio,

I have no ill will towards the parents, or the son who has cancer.

I do not have high hopes for the son, he is late 30's early 40's and has always been in/out of jail for a variety of reasons.  

I have known too many hard working, productive people who have lost their life savings, retirement, jobs and homes due to cancer and other medical conditions.

So when I hear that prison system sends prisoners hours away knowing they have to pay a driver, and 2 guards hourly there, stay with him and back.  If it takes too long they have to send out another shift of guards and drivers.......$$$$  In addition to all the medical expenses....

It is very sad and frustrating.

Esteemed Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

So, I run into a woman I used to work with and I chatted with her and her husband and they are telling we their tale of woe.

The are busy because their son is in prison and they need to make sure he does not receive early parole.  Why?  Not for the publics concern or welfare but over Healthcare.

After he was incarcerated about 6 months it was found he has cancer.  The tax payers immediately started paying for his treatment at a top cancer center about 2 hours aways from here.  (I do not know why, we have many hospitals and cancer centers within 30 mins of the prison.)

6 weeks into the treatment they were told approp.  $475,000.00 dollars has already been spent if you combine

-Cancer treatment, meds

-Tests and scans

-transport

-overnight hospitalization

-staff expenses- 2 guards must stay with him 24 hours while he is off the prison property.

He has many more weeks of treatment expected and they can not afford to pay for his medical costs or take the time to transport to and from the cancer center so they really need him to stay in prison until he is healthy!!??!!!!!

Since it was not a serious crime his sentence was less than 24 months so they are worried about parole and how that could effect his free (100% tax-payer) funded treatment.

I was NOT sympathetic.   I could scream!

I have read and seen media reports of 2 different felons sentenced to "Life without Parole". and both had "gender reassignment surgeries, thank to the taxpayers. These $$$ were well into1 the "6 figure" category. Are these "life or death" surgeries? I know my answer!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

I have read and seen media reports of 2 different felons sentenced to "Life without Parole". and both had "gender reassignment surgeries, thank to the taxpayers. These $$$ were well into1 the "6 figure" category. Are these "life or death" surgeries? I know my answer!

hckynut(john)

Hckynut (John)- this makes my blood boil.

Only in a country where senior citizens have to choose between their medicine and food does this happen.

Esteemed Contributor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aE-nMS9Mnk

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Respected Contributor

I see both sides. Yes I would want my child to get treatment. On the other hand, I have a loved one sent home from the hospital today, because insurance won't pay for an assisted facility for physical therapy. 

Esteemed Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

I'm amazed and shocked at the OP's attitude.  I wish the young man better health and continued treatments.

Unfortunately I'm not amazed or even a tiny bit surprised at some of the attitudes expressed on this (and other similar long gone threads) thread and in some cases I would not have expected anything else.

Until one is personally impacted ...

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've read through many responses, not all. 

So it seems the majority of people have no problem with a person freeloading off of our tax dollars to get medical care that perhaps Mr And Mrs Taxpayer aren't getting. Because he's in prison??  

Lord help our country. It's no wonder we are in the shape we are in!

Toughen up. Stop rewarding people for illegal behavior at our expense. Meanwhile hardworking, law abiding citizens are killing themselves to provide for their families. 

I couldn't agree more with the OP. Since when is being a criminal or a freeloader an entitlement in America. Disgusting. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:

I'm read through many responses, not all. 

So it seems the majority of people have no problem with a person freeloading off of our tax dollars to get medical care that perhaps Mr And Mrs Taxpayer aren't getting. Because he's in prison??  

Lord help our country. It's no wonder we are in the shape we are in!

Toughen up. Stop rewarding people for illegal behavior at our expense. Meanwhile hardworking, law abiding citizens are killing themselves to provide for their families. 

I couldn't agree more with the OP. Since when is being a criminal or a freeloader an entitlement in America. Disgusting. 

@Reba055

No, I definitively DO NOT have a problem free loading off my tax dollars for health care. 

I wish him good health and a long life! 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Respected Contributor

@NUNYA wrote:

I see both sides. Yes I would want my child to get treatment. On the other hand, I have a loved one sent home from the hospital today, because insurance won't pay for an assisted facility for physical therapy. 

Reading your post just breaks my heart. It's sad and not fair that we are at the mercy of the insurance companies and there is nothing we can do about it.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.