Valued Contributor

Re: I went to the grocery store today

Speaking of unattended purses...

I can't count the number of times I've walked thru a parking lot and noticed purses (and other valuables) that have been left (clearly visible) on the car seat.

It boggles my mind that people would do this - It's like "inviting" a thief to break into your vehicle. Smiley Surprised

Respected Contributor

Just know some thieves will still try and take a crossbody bag. A woman here was dragged to the ground when a guppy came up behind her and grabbed the bag she was wearing. She fell hard and was injured; he took her phone out of her bag but took off since I don't think he intended to hurt her. She started yelling and it freaked him out. Saw this morning the three current trends for criminals formerly known as pickpockets. Jugging, Sliders, and Tap and glue. The article explained them all, but just make sure you lock your car while pumping gas and face the car, not the pump.

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes I'm just like you, I can't help myself and will always try to help someone out. People always appreciate your kindness, I've never had someone tell me to get lost. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'll never forget I was shopping with my mother at the grocery store about two days before Christmas. About half way to her home, I realized I left my purse in the cart.

I was almost in tears as I turned around and headed back to the store. I had loads of money and cards in my wallet in my purse. 

The cart was not where I just left it. It looked hopeless, but I went to the CS desk and asked about it. Yes, he told me a gentleman had turned it in. I couldn't believe it. All the cash and cards were there and untouched. 

I asked if the man had left his name or number so I could thank him. Nope, he hadn't.

It certainly restores your faith in mankind.

Respected Contributor

I wear my crossbody in the grocery store. Around here it's not even safe to leave your handbag in the car.

Honored Contributor

Good advice.

Several years ago, when I was under a lot of stress taking care of my parents, my family and working full-time,  I had a chance to go to K-Mart for a bunch of things that my mom needed.

While strolling through the store with my cart, a man came down an aisle and literally bumped into me.  He apologized and went his way.  I looked down to check my purse which was on my shoulder, and nothing looked unusual.

When I got to the checkout with a cart FULL of stuff, my wallet wasn't in my purse.  This has NEVER happened to me in all my life, so I was very flustered. I told the cashier that I thought it was stolen and she directed me to report it in the office, which I did. I even described the man who had bumped into me.

All the way home I just kept thinking of everything I'd have to do, starting with calling credit card companies.  I was already so stressed for time that the thought of it seemed monumental.

Well, to make a long story even longer... I walked through my front door and there was my wallet sitting on the kitchen counter.  I called the store and told them I had found the wallet, which was quite embarrassing after the fuss I had made.  I still wonder why that man bumped into me in an otherwise empty aisle. It could be that he had nefarious intentions and was just as surprised as I was to find no wallet in my purse!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

If I'm going into a store where I'll be using a cart, I don't take my bag. I only take a wallet and perhaps an inhaler along with a few tissues, usually in a jacket pocket. I've also mentioned to a few folks over the years that I thought they were putting themselves at risk by walking away from a bag left in a shopping cart. The unfortunate fact is that many people of a certain age weren't raised to consider such a thing as stealing a purse from a cart becoming all too commonplace. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Contributor

have asthma and copd - need to carry inhaler, cough drops, tissues, water,etc.

Honored Contributor

Long time ago, when I was single and living in an apartment, a man approached me at the grocery store with that same advice. Although I see it a lot in grocery stores, I don't approach anyone. 

Trusted Contributor

@roeroe1005 wrote:

My mom used to do the same thing - purse in the cart and not a care in the world.

Until someone grabbed her wallet out of her purse.  A horrible way to learn a lesson, but she never did it again.  

I cringe whenever I see the purse in the cart, especially with an older woman.

When I'm in a store, I carry a crossbody wallet.  Throw it in my purse when I get back in my car.

@roeroe1005  This exact same thing happened to my mom while grocery shopping. She had her purse open and someone just reached right in and took her wallet. She didn't notice until she went to pay. She was so upset with herself and learned her lesson. By the time she got home to report her cc stolen the thief had already purchased fuel at a nearby gas station. Thankfully, there were no other charges, although, she did lose a moderate amount of cash (not to mention the inconvenience of having to replace her DL).