Honored Contributor

Re: I think I need an intervention....

@truffle wrote:

Just think of all the other uses for that money.  You could take a vacation, go to a spa, invest the money or give to charity.    

I was kidding about the intervention.  I do indeed shop a lot but I can well afford the things I buy.  All that other stuff, the important stuff is covered.

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

Tuesday, Wed, and today I had about 6 packages. No shopping addiction. It was stuff I ordered from the qvc 6 pay on beauty and my bathroom stuff for my new house. It is stuff I will use so I don't call it a addiction. I have around $300 each month that I can spend on anything I want so I choose to buy makeup because I enjoy it and will use it. Or it just sits and I don't use it. The rest of my money gets put into savings and doesn't get touched unless my parents take some for my living expenses. I go through phases. Sometimes I buy a lot then I will have months I don't buy much. Being disabled online shopping is how I shop.

I give myself a shopping budget too and I put cash on a debit card every payday.  Thats my fun money.  My shopping money.  I don't put my shopping on my credit cards unless it's a high ticket item like a computer or a tv.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree, often times people with these kinds of shopping habits are lacking in some area of their life and the shopping is a coping mechanism.

From reading some of your posts I've noted that you are probably one of those people. Some type of therapy or counseling may be beneficial to deal with the issues causing this problem. Denial is not a good thing, you must admit the problem before you can be helped.

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@chrystaltree, often times people with these kinds of shopping habits are lacking in some area of their life and the shopping is a coping mechanism.

From reading some of your posts I've noted that you are probably one of those people. Some type of therapy or counseling may be beneficial to deal with the issues causing this problem. Denial is not a good thing, you must admit the problem before you can be helped.

I'm good....lol    But thanks for the amateur therapy session...;lol

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@chrystaltree Actually, that poster hit the nail on the head, LOL

Honored Contributor

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@chrystaltree Actually, that poster hit the nail on the head, LOL

Ok, I'll admit it.  I like spending the money I work so hard to make...lol

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@chrystaltree  I understand because I'm just as bad.  I cannot shop in stores because of a back problem that prevents me from standing more than 5 minutes.  Thank God I live in the cyber age where shopping for even ordinary things is so easy.  I just picked up groceries from Walmart where they did my shopping and I just bring them home and put them away.   I get everything online.  Like you, I often don't remember what's in the packages. 

I can't believe I'm reading this, Kachina. I have the exact same back problem; I can't stand for five minutes. I can walk, but standing in place is almost impossible. A shopping cart helps, but I'm still having problems. This is also why my online shopping has increased. I had groceries delivered last week. I wish I could get some physical therapy to strengthen my abdominal and back. Take care. 

Esteemed Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

If they are not going into debt and funding all neccisties and saving money there is no problem.

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

If they are not going into debt and funding all neccisties and saving money there is no problem.

ITA

The nonsense I've read on this thread about addictions when one clearly does not know the other's circumstances is preposterous.

I think a "problem" lies whereby the shopper has tons of debt, has a big mortgage, struggles to makes ends meet, is late on bills and has no savings.

I don't think one has a "problem" if they can easily afford all they purchase. 

Sorry, JMHO.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

Tuesday, Wed, and today I had about 6 packages. No shopping addiction. It was stuff I ordered from the qvc 6 pay on beauty and my bathroom stuff for my new house. It is stuff I will use so I don't call it a addiction. I have around $300 each month that I can spend on anything I want so I choose to buy makeup because I enjoy it and will use it. Or it just sits and I don't use it. The rest of my money gets put into savings and doesn't get touched unless my parents take some for my living expenses. I go through phases. Sometimes I buy a lot then I will have months I don't buy much. Being disabled online shopping is how I shop.

I give myself a shopping budget too and I put cash on a debit card every payday.  Thats my fun money.  My shopping money.  I don't put my shopping on my credit cards unless it's a high ticket item like a computer or a tv.

I don't have a checking or a credit card. I have a chase liquid visa. Every month I transfer usually around $250 to $300. Sometimes I use it sometimes I don't. I keep a certain amount in a savings account and the rest is put into a MMA. Being disabled my parents can then take money out of either one for living expenses. Hopefully I will have enough in  the MMA to get my bedroom furniture and new bed right after we move. I don't need more then a few hundred anyway. Plus if I don't use it my debit card starts to have alot of cash on it.