Respected Contributor

Re: I think I need an intervention....

i used to shop every night after work . i mean every night  . retail therapy, i made good money . i hit all the malls, clothes, shoes, jewelry, coats.  but nothing for my house. on the way home wth all my loot i ate peanut butter crackers and maybe a slice of pizza. one time years later i added up all the money i spent.  sick.  there's a big wardrobe down cellar with stuff i just had to have. can't get rid of them. they all still fit.  just a reminder i could have bought stocks and bonds with all that money

Honored Contributor

......you may well need an intervention.  Managing all that stuff can waste a lot of time.  I generally place one Amazon order a month, and rarely order from QVC.  What I've discovered is that things I place in my cart lose their appeal, and I remove a lot of unnecessary things by the time I submit my order.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I only think one needs an intervention is if one is in debt and is to the point of hoarding.

I tease a lot and say at times I need an intervention, and I don't.    Owing no one anything is what means to me I have no "issues".  No, I don't need all the shoes, boots, etc. I have, but I'm not a hoarder.

I donate regularly.  I hate clutter and am trying to get rid of more so I have even less.  I always want something new so that's why I try to get rid of as much as possible.  I don't have a cellar full of unused "stuff".  I have read of some who have become  hoarders and have a basement full of items still in boxes they never even opened. That person may need an intervention--if they can't afford the "stuff" they purchase.

My sisters, for the most part, are more minimalists than I am.  They don't have to have the newest pair of shoes and boots that I always have to have.  They  may buy a few each season and they are "good".  I wish I was more like them.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

Just think of all the other uses for that money.  You could take a vacation, go to a spa, invest the money or give to charity.    

Perhaps the poster does all the above.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

Please be careful to not go into debt.  It can easily spiral out of control.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't personally know the OP, but I'm guessing that she used the word intervention to be funny. Or not. That's not any of my business. 

Here's my opinion on shopping or spending in general. I worked like a dog for almost 40 years. My husband worked like a dog for a little longer than that. We did the best we could saving. 

When I found out in late 2008 that the economic crash was going to close down our company, I upped my savings to 50% of my pay for the next three years, till I was laid off.  Saved like a freaking fiend. 

I have no children. We don't take fancy vacations to Europe or own a second home or an RV or a boat or whatever. So, at this point in my life, if I want to buy some purses or more clothes than I probably need or jewelry and we have the money for those purchases then by gosh, I worked hard for years to have some disposable income and I'm going to spend some, within reason.   I can't take it with me. 

It drives me crazy when people suggest how I should spend MY money. Suggesting that I should save more or give more to charity or whatever.  No one except me and my husband knows how we handle our finances and no one else should take interest in them and second guess my decisions. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

IMO, if your purchases are things you need and use and can financially afford, then you have no problem.  You are just buying on line and not going to B&M stores.

However where a lot of people get into problems is with impulse buying or buying items they really don't need.  Or the latest and greatest items we think we need.

I had issues with this years ago and after finding things I don't even remember purchasing and many trips to donation centers I put a stop to it.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I don't personally know the OP, but I'm guessing that she used the word intervention to be funny. Or not. That's not any of my business. 

Here's my opinion on shopping or spending in general. I worked like a dog for almost 40 years. My husband worked like a dog for a little longer than that. We did the best we could saving. 

When I found out in late 2008 that the economic crash was going to close down our company, I upped my savings to 50% of my pay for the next three years, till I was laid off.  Saved like a freaking fiend. 

I have no children. We don't take fancy vacations to Europe or own a second home or an RV or a boat or whatever. So, at this point in my life, if I want to buy some purses or more clothes than I probably need or jewelry and we have the money for those purchases then by gosh, I worked hard for years to have some disposable income and I'm going to spend some, within reason.   I can't take it with me. 

It drives me crazy when people suggest how I should spend MY money. Suggesting that I should save more or give more to charity or whatever.  No one except me and my husband knows how we handle our finances and no one else should take interest in them and second guess my decisions. 

Points taken LOUD AND CLEAR. Cat Happy

No one would be suggesting anything to the OP if she hadn't brought it up, though.

Esteemed Contributor

I know that I do most of my shopping online as do my friends. Most of my friends are like me, they do it because they are busy and it is more convenient.

Only you know if you truly need an intervention or help with an addiction.

While I do get about 5-6 packages a week, I know I don't have an addiction because it isn't causing problems in my life or finances and I don't do it to get a certain feeling like many do with shopping addictions. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK